Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Is it possible for a family of 'new' skiers to go skiing at the end of October in Europe

Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

Earlier this year my husband and I learnt to Ski for the first time at Milton Keynes ski dome and to say we LOVED it was an understatement! We promised ourselves that we would take the whole family skiing (that's our 4 kids ranging in age from 3 up to 13) in the Feb 14 half term. Then we priced it up and realised that we'd have to sell the house to achieve this. We've also considered taking them out of school however the aggression we received from the schools when we last tried that 2 years ago was immense and given that we now have 3 different schools to contend with we'd rather not do that either. Then I stumbled across an article suggesting resorts to go to for early skiing, stating that the British Team would be practising on snow from early October onwards. It proposes 6 resorts; Zermatt, Hintertux Glacier, Saas Fee, Pitztal, Kaunertal and val Senales. The problem however that I'm encountering is that I can't find any package type holidays that start before December the 14th. Given that this would be our first venture into skiing there feels like an awful lot of things I would forget to arrange if I were to try and book this all myself. So my questions are:

1) Do those resorts listed above have family friendly/beginner friendly areas full of snow in late October (we'd hope to go around 23rd of Octoberish)
2) Are there any companies you could suggest that I could book through?
3) If no companies and I have to do this myself would you mind giving me a list of things I need to remember.
4) If I'm doing this myself will it still be possible to prebook lessons for us and our children
5) How would I go about finding reliable childcare?

Really hoping someone out there can help.

Kind regards

Pip
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
info@parksidepad.co.uk, I believe Easter is cheaper than Feb half term? What do you think is the maximum you can spend? SC with cheap Ryan Air flights can be done much cheaper than package deals...and we're here to help make sure you get everything organised wink
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
What do you mean by SC?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
info@parksidepad.co.uk, Have a look at Christmas week or Easter with any of the tour operators. Have a look at Crystal first and use that as the benchmark.
P.S. Welcome to snowHeads snowHead
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
sorry, self catering. Rent an apartment in a resort close to an airport so the transfer is cheaper, budget airline flights, book ski passes before you go and get them delivered to home, arrange lessons and ski equipment online before you go - theres not much more to it. We can help you fill in on the details.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
info@parksidepad.co.uk, Self catering. Welcome to Snowheads. Very Happy
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
info@parksidepad.co.uk, SC = Self Catering. I've only ever been to Tignes (which isn't mentioned in your list) in late October. You're unlikely to find a package at that time of year but http://www.mountainsunltd.com/ are very reliable and will cover half board accommodation, transport from Geneva and lift pass, you just need to sort your own flight. Tignes Glacier is fairly gentle and you should be able to find instruction from English speaking instructors (there are some who come on Snowheads).
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
info@parksidepad.co.uk, The resorts you're looking at in late October are high altitude and glaciers. I really wouldn't recommend these for new skiers. Learning skiing can be very strenuous in the early days and you don't want to be doing that at high altitude. I'd look at Christmas week and Easter as an alternative, as others have said.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
For school holidays, as others have said, the 2 weeks around xmas and also easter are cheaper.

If it is your first time and you want a Hotel experience then a package will probably cost you close to 1k per person for a week, everything included, with lessons.

You can do it at much lower cost. An apartment large enough for your family might cost 600-800 quid for a week around that time, you can then self cater. If you drive down you would save a lot against fares and transport for 6 of you. You could get good deals ahead of time on the internet for ski lift passes and lessons.

Maybe 50 - 70% of the cost of a package.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
info@parksidepad.co.uk, Hello and welcome. If you do end up going at half term, there are lots of ways to keep costs down, but most involve some degree of compromise or choosing things that some regard as 'second best'. If there are 6 of you in your group, think about driving either to France / Austria / Italy / Switzerland. Austria and Italy. Watch out for half term traffic, maybe a very early start or a Friday evening start. I personally have found to be cheaper once you are there - but it is easy to generalise and you can find cheaper places in France, especially if self catering. Look at resorts such as Valloire and consider companies such as Ski Independence which offer a package of ferry crossing plus accommodation. See if you can find a discount code for Ski Independence - there are some discount codes on SnowHeads and if you can't find one here, (whisper it quietly) the SCGB may give a 5% discount (you will need to check that and balance it against membership cost)
I have driven with my family to Valmeinier (next door to Valloire) and it is a long way, but can you share the driving? Set off very early to get a cheap Channel crossing? We broke the journey on the way back and had a day looking round WW1 battlefields - one day less skiing though. As Shimmy Alcott, has said, book lessons and equipment on-line in advance.
It can be done.....
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
info@parksidepad.co.uk, October half term is definitely do-able but you would have to arrange independently. Tignes, as suggested above, could work and the other glacier area I would suggest is Kaprun, Austria (again, not on your list) as it has some nice learning terrain - Kaprun would involve a flight to Salzburg and a taxi transfer or hire car. Best thing though is to contact the tourist board in Kaprun and explain exactly what you want and then talk to some of the ski schools and make sure you'll be taken care of. It'll be very low season so accommodation and lift passes will be at their cheapest. The resort websites have booking engines, also try www.booking.com and www.tiscover.com
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Oh wow, wonderful help. I must admit I'm starting to wonder about Xmas. Easter at the moment is a no no as we're supposed to be going to a big family meet up and getting out of it would be politically dangerous (i.e. my mother might withdraw all babysitting privileges and as she's only one that will have all four kids in one go we daren't upset her!). The only issue at Xmas is that I'd have to be back for the 23rd! We've been asked to entertain my 85year old godmother and again as before this will not be easy to refuse.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
info@parksidepad.co.uk, Ski packages 'tend' to be saturday to saturday or sunday to sunday. Very few operators will accommodate anything outside of this within the peak weeks of Xmas, New Year and Half Term (some even Easter).

I'd save up for a bit longer and aim for Xmas or Half term the following season and stick the kids in a few lessons in the meantime so that you get a bit more out of it.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
info@parksidepad.co.uk, if this is your e-mail address, you might want to consider changing it to avoid the automatic programs that trawl through websites looking for addresses so as to send them loads of spam.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
info@parksidepad.co.uk, even if half term is your only option for a full week Im sure you'll get loads of suggestions on here of where to go and how to do it cheaper. Lift passes will be pricey for 5, smaller resorts have cheaper passes.
snow conditions
info@parksidepad.co.uk, although it won't happen this year if you are looking at an affordable holiday during school hols next year check out the Snow Events section - forthcoming SH bashes (Should be at the top of the list). There is a possibility that there might be a Snowheads Family Bash next Easter hols. If there is you might find it to be quite an affordable trip that won't bring you into conflict with the schools. Easter hols last 2 weeks - it might just fit around your family do - in any event it might be worth a look.
snow conditions
info@parksidepad.co.uk wrote:
Oh wow, wonderful help. I must admit I'm starting to wonder about Xmas. Easter at the moment is a no no as we're supposed to be going to a big family meet up and getting out of it would be politically dangerous (i.e. my mother might withdraw all babysitting privileges and as she's only one that will have all four kids in one go we daren't upset her!). The only issue at Xmas is that I'd have to be back for the 23rd! We've been asked to entertain my 85year old godmother and again as before this will not be easy to refuse.

You appear to have fallen in love with an activity and then closed off the two best time options for going. Shocked
snow conditions
emwmarine, +1
ski holidays
latest report
Don't disagree Sad emwmarine, but if I can find a way to achieve this then hopefully it wont be another of those tried it, love it, unfortunately didn't get round to arranging more.
snow report
info@parksidepad.co.uk, and there is always next year, when hopefully you won't already have been sucked into other family arrangements. I don't think my own fanily were too happy when I started spending Christmas in the Alps, but they have got used to it
snow report
Hells Bells, +1
snow report
Hells Bells, +1
snow report
boredsurfin, so thats +2 then Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
OK, I'm off to bed but have loads of different ideas to research. Thanks guys and.... I'll be back Twisted Evil
ski holidays
Hells Bells, oops must be using Zorros laptop Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
info@parksidepad.co.uk, welcome to snowheads. snowHead +1 to those who have already suggested getting your email address (if that is it) off the board.

I think you are going to struggle. October glacier skiing is not really suitable - the lifts (generally T bars) are not beginner-friendly, and the whole ambiance is a bit serious - hundreds of booted and spurred racers elbowing you out of the big lifts taking you up to where the snow is. (Never been to Kaprun, maybe that's full of friendly elves and pixies who will make life fun for beginners).

If Christmas and Easter are ruled out you are stuck with half term, and all the best deals for half term 2014 are probably already gone. Certainly flight prices are sky high - the suggestion of self-drive and self-catering, above, is much the best now for that date though a lot of the best accommodation will have been booked long ago.

One other alternative, rather than start planning now for the 2014/15 season, is to brave the wrath of schools and take the kids out for a week. The least damage might be 14 - 21 December, when they will be doing Christmas and end of school stuff. That's still very early season and many resorts won't be open, especially the smaller (and generally cheaper) ones but there are some good choices for those dates, prices should be low and pistes uncrowded.

However, there is simply no possible way of taking a family of 6 skiing cheaply. Lift passes, equipment and lessons are likely to cost around £400 each (more or less depending on where you go).

Maybe get your mum to look after the 4 kids and go without them in mid January? wink
snow conditions
We ski every Christmas in Saas Fee as OH parents have a flat there. My family just had to get used to th fact that we did his (largely German) family Xmas on the slopes and a UK Christmas before or after. Could pick up flights to Geneva for abut £50 each and then train transfer on top, usually the day the schools break up, but soe years as late as Xmas eve for travel.

I learned (well taught myself initially) to ski there in December trips, so I'd say it was beginner friendly if you can cope without a massive learner area. 5 or 6 easy runs, though some will need you to com down to base in a gondola.

We also go out in feb half term (OH works in a school) but choose to drive as flight prices more than triple, so for 4, the savings on taking our car makes a difference...

I've never travelled on holidays, summer or winter with a TO, but to me, the planning my own trips are half the fun!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Do not ski in Tignes (or any other glacier, IMO) at October half term unless it is your only option to ski that year. It will be very busy with lots of race clubs and the terrain is very limited for near beginners. The weather can be brutal, which new skiers will struggle with more than experienced skiers, and as others have said, a lot of the uplift will be surface lifts (drags and t-bars) which are more of a struggle for near beginners.

Finding a cheaper way of skiing at half-term, ski at Easter or take the kids out of school are all significantly better options for you than pre-season glacier skiing.
snow report
Pip,

I echo rob@rar, - do not go anywhere in October as you risk putting yourselves off skiing for ever.

The glaciers are open to cater for race-teams, groups doing instructor training etc but there may be few, if any, facilities for general tourists. The majority of hotels and guest houses will be closed until December, as will the bars and restaurants (the pro teams will be in their own accommodation with their own catering). You'll be lucky to find a ski school and even ski rental might be a problem. All the other nice stuff like ice rinks, sleigh rides etc will be closed. Out of season, many places are ghost towns. As for prices, a 6-day ticket for Kaprun is €196, which is only €30 less than a high-season ticket, so there may not be as much to save as you might think.

If you cannot do a whole week at Christmas (21st - 28th Dec) could you get away for a long weekend just before, e.g. 18th - 22nd Dec ? Failing that, a similar long weekend at the end of Jan or early Feb, even if it means taking a day or two off school. Wednesday/Thursday to Sunday flights are generally far cheaper than weekend flights and in the quiet weeks, weekend accommodation is not as difficult to find.
snow report
I'm actually going to counter the trend and suggest one place where I know they have a good ski school and lessons being offered in October - Stubai! They have really nice dedicated learner areas away from the main areas and on is served by a chair as well as a drag lift. The ski school would be able to probably treat your family as a group - minimum group class size is normally between 4 and 6 people. BUT you would have to organise everything yourself as there are no tour operators running trips that early as far as I know. I often see beginner groups there in October using one of the 2 beginner areas according to which ever of the 2 areas is currently being lift served. Ski hire is available at the lift station - Intersport having several shops t the base station as well as at both the Gamsgarten and Eisgrat top stations.

Lots of affordable accommodation down in Neustift as well and the bus service between the village and the base station is very good and included in the ski pass. Worth a look maybe Little Angel Little Angel
ski holidays
That sounds good! There IS a place with pixies and elves, after all!! Certainly sounds a whole lot more user friendly than Tignes (where I am heading in November).
snow report
Samerberg Sue, big fat +1!

info@parksidepad.co.uk, book flights to Innsbruck, and look at hotels/apartments in Neustift (plenty open at that time!). Many hotels will offer a shuttle from Innsbruck airport (40 mins drive), and many will offer a private shuttle to/from the glacier as well. If you can't find one offering shuttles, public transport is very easy for both journeys too. There are ski hire shops in Neustift (which I think are a bit cheaper), but it would probably be simpler to use the one up at the glacier - saves shuttling skis up and down the road, and limits the important bits of kit you could forget down in Neustift! Google ski schools and go with whichever looks best to you - plenty of English-speaking instructors about.

Neustift itself is quite a nice little village, couple of restaurants and bars if you need something to do in the evening.

In October the weather will be quite unpredictable; the snow could come late, or it could snow a lot all week. Either way there will definitely be skiing, but it's probably unlikely that all the lifts will be open (shouldn't affect you as a beginner though). I'm (pretty reliably) informed that they hope to open on the 23 Sept, though obviously that's snow dependent.
ski holidays
clarky999, flights to Innsbruck may be a bit thin on the ground then, but the OP has said they are willing to drive so it should not be a problem getting there. No need for the winter tyres as far as Neustift then rely on the local shuttles/buses to get up and back to/from the glacier. If they have all-weather ones it is generally OK whatever time of year to be honest as you rarely HAVE to drive up steep inclines. It seems to be what he Dutch and northern Germans count on any way! Laughing

I've driven up to Sölden at that time on my summer tyres without an hassles. The descent from the Rettenbach did make my ABS work overtime and scared me because of the clonking on the hairpins! Didn't know what it was Laughing so rushed to my garage the next working day just to be told it was the car telling perhaps winter tyres would be better from now on! wink
snow conditions
Samerberg Sue, shouldn't be a problem for flights, even in lowest of low seasons there's still a couple a week from the UK to IBK. I'm not sure which week October half term is, but Easyjet Gatwick - Innsbruck is currently 99 EUROS a person 12-19th October, which has to be a fair amount cheaper than driving!
snow conditions
Quote:

did make my ABS work overtime and scared me because of the clonking on the hairpins! Didn't know what it was

exactly the same thing happened to me, the first time the ABS burst into life - despite 4 snow tyres and very cautious driving, on some very snowy downhill bends. I thought something terrible had gone wrong with the car. Embarassed
ski holidays
In terms of overall ski holiday experience, I'd agree with what others have said and suggest that if you can, you should find a way to go more cheaply during the main ski season (mid-dec to april). This will allow you to enjoy a ski resort atmosphere, possibly stay in a hotel that is close to the piste rather than having to take a bus every day, have wider choice of ski schools for lessons, etc. February half term is probably the busiest (especially big French resorts) and the most expensive week to go, followed by new year. Christmas and Easter are much more sensible, though not quite 'cheap'!!

If you can't manage a full week due to family politics, then a short break (3 or 4 days) is still feasible, although it may not work out much cheaper than a full week, depending on when and where you go. Have a look at skiweekends.com as they do holidays by coach and air. Coach is obviously much cheaper and I did it last year, but its not for everyone and might put you off skiing! The company looks after transport, accommodation, half board food, plus they can help you with ski hire and lessons too. There are a couple of other companies who do similar things.
Also worth a look are rocketski.com who occasionally have good deals for school holiday weeks, and again can organise most of the holiday for you.

If you think you would like to DIY then have a look at sunweb holidays (http://ski.sunweb.co.uk/). They used to be skihorizon and I've used them a few times. They will show mostly self catering apartments, but can help you sort lift passes and ski hire, so its only transport to resort that you're left to figure out on your own. There are also websites that advertise just apartments (homelidays.co.uk or homeaway.co.uk), but you would need to sort everything else yourself (transport, ski hire, lessons, lift pass).

In terms of good resorts for beginners that hopefully won't cost too much, have a look at www.wtss.co.uk in their resorts section to get an idea. I'd suggest these as a starting point:
FRANCE: Montgenevre, Valloire/Valmeinier, Les Gets, Samoens, La Rosiere, Risoul or larger resorts such as La Plagne, Alp D'Huez (some have free beginner lifts so you don't need a lift pass for maybe the first day?)
ITALY: Pila (look up interski.co.uk), Passo Tonale, Claviere
AUSTRIA: Alpbach, Obergurgl
latest report
clarky999, Tis later I believe, more like the last week of the month so the little monsters can terrorise people with impunity on Hallow'en cos it ain't a school night wink

pam w, Never had a prob with the winter tyres and ABS so they go on the week before I go to Sölden for the opening races of the World Cup 26/27th October this year.
snow report
Samerberg Sue, I'd never had problems before, either, and had excellent snow tyres, which is why I was so shocked at the noise. It was the snowiest bit of driving I've had to do - was no choice, picked up 4 teenagers at Geneva (new year's day, they weren't in great shape...) and had to get back. It was the kind of night I'd not have ventured out, if I'd had any choice. The car was quite heavily laden with 5 of us plus baggage and it was a while since a plough had been round - just a minor road. I had no problem uphill, but the downhill bends would have been scary had there not been such piles of snow at the side of the road that there was no chance of leaving it! I daresay my ABS was doing a fine job. Next time I'd know what the noise meant, and not be concerned.
snow report
info@parksidepad.co.uk: Contrary to what others have said, I'd agree with Sammerberg Sue and say go for it with an October trip to Stubai Glacier, which would be ideal. Austria would no doubt have you captivated for ever Very Happy - in fact the village of Neustift (as suggested by SS) which is near to the Stubai Glacier, would be chocolate box perfect for an introductory trip. Despite the views of some, autumn skiing can be absolutely fantastic and on October/November and May/June visits to Stubai, I've never found it as busy as other glaciers, particularly the one at Hintertux. So on a glacier you may have to ride some draglifts.....Well you've done that in learning to ski and, as you've never been cossetted by skiing at an area with only fast, comfortable chairlifts, you wouldn't know any different. Anyway, if I recall coprrectly the beginner's area at Stubai has a dedicated chairlift. Perfect.

Granted, the whole thing would involve a bit of effort that may take you out of your comfort zone - but nothing too insurmountable:

- Flights to Munich are plentiful and can be very reasonable, if not cheap (Easyjet, BA and Lufthansa). Munich is about 2 hrs drive from the Stubai Valley (Stubaital in German).
- Car hire is easily booked online and is reasonably priced in Germany (if you fly to Munich). The drive to Stubaital is easy - well signposted motorway all the way to the valley, then easy singletrack road after that. No really nasty mountain roads to negotiate.
- Accommodation can be booked online via the tourist office website. You can, of course, pay what you like for digs but Austrian guesthouses/pensions are generally spotless and great value.
- Ski and boot hire is easily available at the glacier, with lockers onsite to avoid lugging back and forth (though I think that most hire shops might also look after your kit overnight for you?)

Good luck!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy