Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Where to??????

Poster: A snowHead
After going to Andorra for the last few years I am looking to go somewhere different next year. We are looking to fly into geneva next march for around 4-5 days skiing. Where is within around 60-90 mins by bus that is good for intermediate skiers??
Ta

J snowHead
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Flaine and the wider Grand Massif? But don't go in the first half of March - it's still school holidays and it will be harder to find 4 - 5 days accommodation.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Flaine definitely good for skiing, but if you are used to Andorra nightlife, you will be in for shock...
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
if the nightlife is important Morzine would be better, and also very easy to reach.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Grand Massif, Portes du Soleil or Chamonix. For nightlife Chamonix or Morzine... So... What do you want to get out of those 4 days?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Morzine or Les Gets - easy to get to, wide choice of accommodation available, nightlife if you want it.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Flaine, or Les Carroz
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Not to bothered about nightlife looking for good place for children to learn whilst me and OH have good slope time
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
JasonW wrote:
Not to bothered about nightlife looking for good place for children to learn whilst me and OH have good slope time

Well in that case Flaine could suit you since it's basically in a snow bowl, with all the runs (of varying difficulty) meeting up at the bottom where the ski school is located.

It won't win many architectural prizes though - when we were on the tour operator transfer coach arriving into the resort the tour rep said "Welcome to Benidorm on snow!" Laughing
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Daughter has thrown a question up!!!!! " can we drive to the ski holiday dad???" What roughly will to cost in fuel to Morzine?
I have roughly worked out flying
Flights =£400
Transfer=£160
Airport parking/fuel £80
Total £640

Looked at ferry crossing £70 so for fuel + tolls from Clitheroe near Blackburn return to Morzine £570!!!!!
Any thoughts!!!!!!!!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
JasonW wrote:
Daughter has thrown a question up!!!!! " can we drive to the ski holiday dad???" What roughly will to cost in fuel to Morzine?
I have roughly worked out flying
Flights =£400
Transfer=£160
Airport parking/fuel £80
Total £640

Looked at ferry crossing £70 so for fuel + tolls from Clitheroe near Blackburn return to Morzine £570!!!!!
Any thoughts!!!!!!!!

If you are not costing in a hotel it is quite a long way to drive without an overnight in either direction and pretty tiring. Having a car gives the potential benefit of staying a little further away and driving to the lifts which can get you cheaper accommodation. It also can give you an extra days skiing at either end but really only if you add in hotels to stay en route.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Any thoughts on a hotel half way between Calais and Morzine also what is best when at resort, a hotel right in the centre or a hotel a slight drive away and is there easy parking in resort?
At
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
We drive to Morzine once or twice a year and it is do-able in one journey but we are starting out from SE England not t'up north. You could drive to Morz just as easily to Flaine although you're more likely to need chains going up to Flaine according to my husband (ex-transfer driver). How old are you children? have you thought about Avoriaz?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
JasonW, How many people are in your flying calculation? Oddly I often find the main expense with flying is with the transfer at the other end, which can be more than the flight itself. This is, I suspect, why the OP wanted a resort near geneva

For driving we calculate £400 for the family from the Midlands, but then that is with a diesel car. The main hassle is getting down to the channel after that it is a fairly easy drive.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I was planning on driving from t'up north and hotel in dover, then first ferry int morning, so if its do-able I don't mind driving it in a oner!!!! Children will be 10 & 5.
snow report
It's 4 people travelling also I am open to suggestions where to go!
latest report
I've only done the drive to the alps once. Tignes at easter and we stayed overnight in Grenoble. I do however, drive down to Biarritz 4/5 times a year. Good deal is a late tunnel crossing and stay at one of the hotels by Citeie de Europe in Calais. The Ibis is cheap, buffet breakfast and they don't seem to mind you loading up with fruit, pastries and yoghurt for the journey. It means you can get an early start after a good nights sleep. Grenoble only took me 8 hours from Calais though and that was staying well within the speed limits. we stayed in 4 * hotel for 50 quid and were on the slopes in Tignes by 1pm on the Saturday.
snow report
£400 per return trip from North West to Les Carroz. To avoid tiredness I need to leave home about 5am to get lunchtime tunnel, then arrive in resort before midnight.
ski holidays
For calculating it, ViaMichelin route planner is quite good at calculating the costs for you, including tolls and whatnot.
snow conditions
Via michellin route planner from my house to Morzine is £156 including tolls each way so £300 ish return plus £70 ferry I suppose I will spend a little more cause of weight in car but its looking like a goer!!!!!! Morzine hotels please anyone!!!!
snow conditions
JasonW wrote:
Via michellin route planner from my house to Morzine is £156 including tolls each way so £300 ish return plus £70 ferry I suppose I will spend a little more cause of weight in car but its looking like a goer!!!!!! Morzine hotels please anyone!!!!

Did you remember to input the correct fuel costs and MPG ? Smile
ski holidays
Put £1.40 fuel it doesn't want mpg.
snow conditions
http://www.booking.com/hotel/fr/ra-c-sidence-pierre-74110.en-gb.html?aid=303948;label=bookings-naam-3jHr6EsDyn1Uq9ttdGmKKwS21593524221%3Apl%3Ata%3Ap1%3Ap2344%2C000%3Aac%3Aap1t1%3Aneg;sid=7bb1e9edf9a23877c4ed686530f955f7;dcid=1;checkin=2014-03-31;checkout=2014-04-04;group_adults=2;group_children=2;age=10;age=6;group_rooms=33293501_81713624_0_0_4_0_0;srfid=bf501b27223a975e90135bd21e1888b03f2f88dbX14

Anyone stayed here?????
ski holidays
JasonW, being a French website it sends everyone everywhere via Paris. For me, living near Portsmouth, it also sends through Paris using Newhaven-Dieppe. You need to check you have the costs for the route you are actually going to take (the longer sea crossings are more expensive, Paris can be a pain, as can the A6 between Paris and Lyon, two major cities, which is one of the busiest motorways).

What dates are you thinking of? The first half of March is French school holidays and it would be difficult, perhaps impossible, to find "4 or 5 days" accommodation as hotels etc will generally be pretty fully booked and working on a Sat/Sat week. In the second half of March the pressure will ease, and prices will drop. You'd have more choice then and quieter slopes, as well as lower costs. You'll be taking the kids out of school?

It's a long way to drive for 4 days though.
snow report
pam w, no it's sending me near the Belgium border and down that way, looking to go for 4 nights so 3 days skiing and then maybe call in at Disneyland on way back for a few days.
snow report
JasonW, It is drive-able from ooop North. I have done it staying at a Travelodge near Maidstone and then getting a very early start. Don't rule out the Ferry from Hull though. I have done that as well. It doesn't let you get a fantastically early start from Rotterdam, but it is still do-able. The cost isn't so bad if you take into account the cost of the Travelodge doing it the other way
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy