Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Best plan for Skiing all of January??

Poster: A snowHead
I've got this slightly mad idea going round in my Middle-aged Medical head(!)....
Take 4weeks off work after the Xmas/NY rush & really aim to properly improve that 55yr.old fairly fit On-Piste:Advanced Intermediate/Off-Piste:Intermediate status of mine, once & for bloody all!! Probably alot cheaper than multiple week trips through the season (say with Ski.C.ofGB or Warren Smith etc;) + all that extra Skiing on Transfer days etc;
Got a few ideas; pick a big resort, hook up with a smaller independant Ski School, drive there & maybe Rent lower down, unless a Chalet Co. can offer a discount deal on a basic room etc;

Any good ideas/practical tips folks?... My goal is simple for this coming Season(Ha ha!) Improve to On-Piste:Advanced(next Season:Aspiring Expert!) + Off-Piste:Competant(next Season:try Touring).... BEFORE I GET TOO OLD!!
Many Thanks for your help hopefully
"Bonkers Bayles"
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
We have exactly the same idea but for whole of Feb! I was about to post the same question. Got to be done Smile We are thinking about driving out, staying in Bourg St Maurice with the idea that its fairly central and we can drive to different ski areas as the mood takes! If anyone has any ideas let me know ! Good luck with your plans and enjoy yourself.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Yup, BSM is definitely a good thought - BUT 1 Resort area pass for 4weeks presumably will make a Seasons Ski Pass the cheapest "get on the slopes" option + could even go back for a cheaper final end of season blast of course!
I'm thinking of picking Jan. 'cos 1 of my Sons bummed it in Meribel last season & thought that for non-seasonaires the prices + 3V Resort overall was alot quieter, with mainly "proper Skiers" - whatever they are???
Ian
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
ian.bayles, Not a mad idea at all. No reason why being 55 should lower your ambition. Me and my wife have rented a place in Brides-Les-Bains for Jan, Feb and March. I'm 56 and she's a year younger. We just want to work on our skiing. It's going to cost us no more than 2 holidays would. We have taken early retirement so we're not short of time. I looked at big ski areas that we weren't going to get bored with and then at smaller, quieter and less expensive settlements nearby with decent access. We'll have the car but in Brides there's a lift anyway.

http://emploi.mairie-smb.com/logement.php http://www.rentaplaceinfrance.com/html/rhone-alpes.html Here are a couple of places that I found for rental though I've stupidly deleted the rest. I also e-mailed tourist offices and immobilier until I got some responses.

Good luck with the search.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
ian.bayles,
I did a month in Tignes last Dec/jan and hope to do something similar this year if the body holds up. Go solo. I tend to stay in a hotel. So not the cheapest option. Go there and back on the Eurostar. Independent travel probably best for this kind project. If you are going solo you need to plan who you ski with. I am happy to ski on my own for some days but that restricts what you can do and gets a little boring. Have not had any instruction for a few years but would obviously help in forming your skiing plan
I am 55 in Jan.
If you go to that area let me know and if there we can have a ski. I hope to be out again from mid March to mid April.
If your Snowhead name is your work email I suggest you change it. You will get spammed to hell.
If you want any more details on what I do then send me a private message. Cheers
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
ian.bayles@nhs.net wrote:
.... BEFORE I GET TOO OLD!!
rolling eyes

http://youtube.com/v/KoQ5IEUpKEA

ian.bayles@nhs.net wrote:
"Bonkers Bayles"
Rather than ur email, this should've been your username NehNeh

Laughing
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
ian.bayles, yes, best remove this email address soonest!

Your idea is an excellent one. January is the best time, given generally low prices and quiet slopes. From mid February gets v busy in France.

You might have a look at action-outdoors who do holidays in UCPA centres in France. These are theoretically for young people Under 40....) but talk to them - a number of older SHs have tried them, and all reports are positive.

They do all-in holidays, full board, lift pass and tuition included, and there is a range of centres - you could try four different ones, or stay in one. The range of tuition is from beginners to very good indeed (essentially guided off poste) and guides, transceivers etc are included where appropriate. Particularly for working on off-piste skills UCPA would almost certainly work out cheaper than other options, given the high cost of guides and the impossibility of doing it on your own.

The advantage would be loads of instruction and people to ski with. And probably cheaper than quite a few of the alternatives. The disadvantage would be that you would either sleep in a dorm room or pay extra for a twin bedded room (not sure how that would work for a solo - but worth asking).

I suspect the price would be better than many of the other options
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
ALQ, Thanks for posting that - inspirational!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
ian.bayles,

tinges is a good choice for january, lots of terrain and also a lot of regulars there, who both live and /or ski there.
ski club is a good starting point, you can ski with the "(not a guide) guide for a day, meet up with like standard skiers and then make your own plans with whoever is there. also meet at a pub in le lac...alpaka....and there is always someone of your standard to ski with if you dont wish to join the club!
try interhome.com for an apartment....try for le lac or val claret as transport to lower resorts stops early evening unless you like skiing down closed pistes in the dark after a few beers!

alapake is used by at least one couple who are both doctors each year....so keep quiet about your work if you want to avoid shop talk!
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
ian.bayles, I've only just seen this. I'm the same age as you, similar condition and doing something similar + a bit more. I'm off to Les Deux Alpes for 3 weeks straight after New Year and then returning for a further 4 weeks from mid April Happy. I know the resort well and quite a few people there and have got a very good deal on an apartment as they are all off peak weeks. A weeks off piste course booked in January, meeting up with a few friends nothing much else planned on top of that. Looking forward to it tremendously though Happy
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I've done similar for the past two winters: from mid Dec to end Jan stayed in a cheap hotel in Austria, bought the Tirol Season Pass (which gives access to an *enormous" number of resorts) and gone out skiing lots of different resorts within an hour or so drive: sometimes skied with others in the hotel, sometimes on my own, or tagged along with an off-piste group some days, racers other days. Had many absolutely fabulous days skiing. Over Xmas/New Year the family joined me which meant that I didn't have to pay single supplements at the expensive times. I also have a flexible job which means I can work from just about anywhere with an internet connection and that probably added 50% to the duration I could otherwise have taken.
One thing that I did learn: if you are skiing for this length of time, don't expect to ski hard 7 days a week - it's just not possible; your body needs a rest. I got into a pattern of skiing from first lift until mid afternoon for around 5 days a week, and then had a day or two off - or just going out late in the day for a few runs locally.
You also need to sort out laundry - the hotel I was staying in were happy to do this once a week, but don't assume they all will.
Unfortunately this year it looks like I won't be away for so long a period, but will be back later in the season instead.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
ian.bayles, not mad at all, but I'd suggest finding some recommended instructors as part of your planning if you want to improve, else you'll spend 4 weeks on "bad" practice if your not careful.......
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Hiian.bayles, you can have my apartment in La Tania at a very sensible price for 4/5 weeks from 4th or 11th of January if you want. I've done several multi-week stints there including all of last January/early Feb but I doubt I'll go this coming season.

It's a great time to be in the 3V's - good snow, dead slopes, zero queues and if you get a season pass you can return later to Val Thorens usually for a cheap deal all the way up to May. A month's solid skiing will transform your technique but if you rent somewhere out of the way, I guarantee you'll get fed up with commuting every day.

My apartment's 28m2, proper bedroom, top floor with lift, underground parking, quiet, modern, clean, with linen. Ski-in, ski-out and within 50m of everything (Ski shops, deli, Spar, 2 Pubs, tourist office, take-away, restaurants, tabac - what else do you need?). It's a smallish community so you'll get Seasonnaire prices in LT if you're there for a month (I'll tell you who to talk to) and I'm sure you'd get an instruction deal from New Gen in what's their low season. If not, there are several Brit ski schools in Meribel and Courchevel to choose from.

PM me if it's of interest and I'll send you photos, floor plan etc. Happy to chat over the phone if you prefer.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Tried this last year. Went to Tignes and stayed down in Brev. Finances worked out well but trip was badly hit by a work / broken wi-fi / knackered glow plugs / project crisis combo. As long as you're not blighted by these items you'll have a blast.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I'm doing the same!!! Toofy Grin Gonna take off the whole of January and go to Chamonix - plenty to keep me occupied for 4 weeks (I've spent a fortnight there before). I stayed in a cold fusion chalet and all accom and flights, transfers, full board will cost me £2.5k which I think is pretty good - £650 per week. I'm similarly approaching mid-age (and ignorning it) done plenty of off piste but need to do some work on my powder skills. Went heli-skiing last year and was embarrassed by poor technique. Need To Work Harder PP!!

You would be able to do an all mountain course topped off with the Vallee Blanche - which is brilliant. You would LOVE it!
Btw - what kind of medical (I work in Pharma:-))?
ski holidays
ah - just seen e-mail - doc?
snow report
ianbayles, Lordy, how lovely, you should be spoiled for choice. Any preference on country?
snow report
Raceplate,
That's really useful,thankyou, & as you say La Tania is just the right sort of size to get to know the local Crowd/Seasonnaires etc;
Would be grateful for more details if poss.
You can use my e-mail if you want - the NHS.net account kicks out all the spam automatically!!

Haven't used New Generation before - but a couple of years ago Marmalade Ski were used on a Ski Club. of GB trip to Mott. I went on - small company seem very friendly & some good instructors.

Ian
snow report
RobW,
Any chance you could post or e-mail me the Hotel details??
Cheers
Ian
snow conditions
I'd be interested in sharing a flat part-time if 2-3 others joined in -I can hopefully ski 2 weeks a month - was planning Verbier but Chamonix would appeal as much
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy