Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Back to "what skis for jr" question

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
horizon jr's birthday is approaching and I'm thinking a new pair of skis is in order.

The last two seasons he's been on Volkl Gotama jr, 158 cm long and 82 mm underfoot. But in the meantime he's grown from about 156 cm to 171 (5'1" to 5'7"). Only about 50 kilos, though (7st 12).

Last season in Arlberg he could have used longer / wider skis when we went offpiste. He had no problem dealing with skis taller than him when we he initially got on the Gotamas.

What length and width would you suggest, considering they'd have to last two years and he'd be going more and more offpiste? I guess he could keep the Gotama jrs as piste skis.

He's not really into racing so I guess no need for slalom / GS piste-only skis.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I think that Line make a junior version of the Sir Francis Bacon which'd be worth a look. Shoite cores but they ski great & should hold up fine for a lightweight.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I have a pair of Rossi S3's which are about the easiest ski I have ever skied, they are easy on piste unless it is boilerplate and really easy off piste. I'm 5'9 and have the 177cm which is too short, I would recommend that size for his height. They are really soft but you don't even really need to think about bending them as they have a really small turning radius and quite a lot of rocker so his light weight shouldn't be a problem. I think they are a perfect early off piste ski but should still last him a while. I still ski my skis a lot I just want a bit more ski now but will ski these till afford another one. You should also be able to get a decent deal as Rossi have revamped the line so the S3 has a different name and different construction this year.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
spyderjon, I think the longest in the Line SFB jr is a 165 - probably too short for him. lynseyf, 177 on the other hand seems longish...

Found Fischer Watea 94s at Sport Conrad, 170 length. Too wide?

http://www.sport-conrad.com/page/product-detail/__/shop/prod/7106

This would be jr, last season somewhere in the Stuben trees:
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
horizon, If it's any help I'm about 5' 8" though your Jr is probably lighter than me, but no doubt sking miles better. Both my pairs of skis are 170cm and they seem a good length, though my first skis were 160cm (like he currently on), something around the 170cm mark might possible be worth trying. FWIW I've got on well with Elan skis they might have something suitable.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Honestly they are so rockered, they ski shorter than my 160cm piste skis, no idea on the Wateas sorry but wouldn't think 94 would be too wide. I jumped from carvers to 88 to 98mm pretty quickly and had no problems and being young your son is probably a lot more adaptable than me.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
200 euros is less than renting for 2 weeks, so no financial risk. I'm not sure about going much longer AND much wider at the same time. For his weight, 82-85 mm underfoot should be plenty, but going longer should give him confidence as his fore-aft balance will improve. A bit narrower and even cheaper:
http://www.sport-conrad.com/page/product-detail/__/shop/prod/24907
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy