Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

chamonix on the cheap....

Poster: A snowHead
chamonix on the cheap.... for a week (6 days skiing)
beat this....

flights from edinburgh to geneva easyjet..............£81 (including 1 bag)
hostel...............................................................£110 (7 nights)
transfers.............................................................£44 (return)

so that's...........................................£235
this is what you would get with a booked holiday!(ok no rep and your in hostel)

rest of costs.............
lift pass chamonix normaL......................................£194
rent skis (cheaper than £54 carrying on easyjet)
red/silver set from ski 2000 online discount................£45 (didn't check snowbaord price but bring your own only £54)
spending of 25 euro p/day (this poss
as kitchen in hostel/ packed lunches)....................£148
winter sports insurance (online).................................£16

so........grand total= ................. £638 all inc (basic package)

now the upgrade...........
6 days premier skiing
extra costs.......upgrade to ultimate chamonix lift pass extra £55
day1. Brevent- Flagere then Domaine de Balme
day2. Les Grands Montets (now you can access top chair giving loads more runs)
day3 Les Houches (not included on normal pass but includes world cup run! now included)
day4. Courmayeur Italy (free bus to get there and now included on pass)
day5. Verbier, Switzerland (included on pass, bus is £21 return and £4 euros for new ticket)
day6 hide in room cause you is fooked!... no... either ski favourite place again (not verbier as only once is allowed on pass)
....or do the famous off piste vallee blanche... but you will need to join a guided group (unless you are insane)...you go to guide HQ in chamonix and join a group minimum £60

ok the total, including, flights, transfers, lift pass, skiing in 3 countries (on the best off piste in the world) is now, including spending money, ski hire and insurance ...

£718 WITHOUT VALLEE BLANCHE OR............£778 WITH

BEAT THAT!!!!!
DSTORMER23
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
dstormer23, we can't beat a Scot when it comes to sniffing out the cheapest deals
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
mayrhofen on the cheap!!!!

return flights from edinburgh to munich inc hold bag and ski bag.......125
Self catering apartment in the centre of town...230 but split between 2......115
transfers by train.............75

grand total £315

Ski pass for full ziller valley including buses and train....£215

full trip not inc food.......£530

insurance.......full annual policy in winter sports so not counting that

and yes I am Scottish
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
dstormer23 wrote:
beat this....

BEAT THAT!!!!!
DSTORMER23

Easy. UCPA/Action Outdoors. Argentiere starts from £483 inc full liftpass/kit hire/full board food cooked for you and 12 hrs of optional lessons. Add on transport as required at your £125 and insurance at £16 makes it £626. Options to change to full 6 days of guiding for an extra £100.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Sideshow_Bob, you win Laughing
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You would have to pay me to sleep in a hostel...
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
fly swiss air, I did it last year for £115 return, that includes luggage and skis so you don't have to use rental gear.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Many moons ago someone dropped out of a group trip and I got a week in La Tania in a catered chalet, including train for £171. That was a bargain.

More recently did a trip, 5 blokes driving over in one car, staying in a discounted cosy and bijou apartment in Belle Plagne, cooking in the apartment, drinking supermarket beer. That was a pretty cheap do.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I have a trip to Les Contamines coming up in January.

£510 for a twin room with UCPA.
Flights £125 with Swiss Air, including my enormous snowboard bag.
Transfers for £40 return.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
zanarchist, and that presumably includes your lift pass and full board? If not equipment hire too. It's really hard to beat the UCPA prices.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Pam, yep, lift pass and full board. Equipment hire is "free"

Ive found in that past that its easy to match the UCPA price, as long as you don't include lift passes Wink
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
The only thing that's really cheap in the OP's post is accommodation - but then you're sleeping in a hostel. OK for a bloke or girl alone, but probably not what you'd want if going with a girlfriend/partner/wife, etc.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

but then you're sleeping in a hostel

yeah, I just don't get it. Skimping is for losers (where is Whitegold when you need him/her/it?). Many 4 Star hotels in, say, Austria or Italy, offer package deals inc. lift passes and half board for somewhere in the 700-900 Euro range for a week. You find them on the hotels' websites and if you email them asking for a deal for a small group or family they'll often beat it, and of course there are normally v generous child discounts, if not free. Sure, it might add up to a few hundred quid more per adult than the sad examples cited above, but someone else is cooking, doing the dishes, making the beds etc while you are in the swimming pool and sauna. It's a holiday isn't it?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
boardiac wrote:
The only thing that's really cheap in the OP's post is accommodation - but then you're sleeping in a hostel. OK for a bloke or girl alone, but probably not what you'd want if going with a girlfriend/partner/wife, etc.

Tricky with all three of them that's for sure.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
queen bodecia wrote:
You would have to pay me to sleep in a hostel...

Me too. A lot!
snow report
A good number of the UCPA centres have twin rooms - and the food, according to my daughter (who is fussy) and the SHs who have been, is excellent, and full board. Top quality tuition, too. It's definitely not slumming it. But for young single travellers, for whom the hotel deals work out expensive, a UCPA dorm room or hostel can be very good value. I happily stayed in youth hostels in my young days, including some very rudimentary ones in Switzerland, where you slept in a kind of attic on a wide bed with a sort of straw mattress. How much space you had depended on how busy the hostel was. Twisted Evil A niece of mine (3rd year medical student at the time) had a great and cheap holiday in a hostel in Chamonix - she has slept in hostels and dorms all round the world and reckoned it was one of the best she'd encountered. They lived on baguettes, cheese, ham, fruit, salad from the supermarket.

Yes, it's a holiday - but for adventurous travellers of whatever age (but most of them are young.....) a holiday isn't about being sat down and waited on and given more food than is good for you, it's about getting maximum time on the snow for minimum $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

Not necessarily "sad", at all. Indeed the word might more accurately be applied to us old farts for whom anything other than our own room with en-suite facilities is utterly unthinkable.
latest report
pam w wrote:,
Quote:

I happily stayed in youth hostels in my young days, including some very rudimentary ones in Switzerland, where you slept in a kind of attic on a wide bed with a sort of straw mattress.

yeah, but wasn't that just after WW2??? Toofy Grin
latest report
boardiac, Vietnam, maybe.... Laughing
snow report
pam w wrote,
Quote:

Yes, it's a holiday - but for adventurous travellers of whatever age (but most of them are young.....) a holiday isn't about being sat down and waited on and given more food than is good for you, it's about getting maximum time on the snow for minimum $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

Not necessarily "sad", at all. Indeed the word might more accurately be applied to us old farts for whom anything other than our own room with en-suite facilities is utterly unthinkable.

I couldn't agree more. It is oh-so-easy to be seduced by all the "bling" of the 5-star places. Whilst the luxury can be nice sometimes, and the £ isn't really the issue, I am fortunate that "Ms Boardiac" agrees with me in that we see the hotel we go to (not necessarily ski-related) merely as a place to fall asleep in after a day's adventure/skiing/sightseeing etc. I don't really want to spend £££ on a room somewhere that I never get to enjoy because I've been out all day and am too knackered.

Similarly, one of my most memorable meals was not a gourmet creation in a fancy restaurant, but a simple meal we cobbled together from bread, cheese, tomato and an unfortunate basil plant (all of which we bought from a market in Venice) and ate on the steps next to a canal. The only "cutlery" we had was one plastic fork, and one plastic knife (between the two of us). Sounds terribly basic, but you know what? It was an adventure and it was awesome.
latest report
Quote:

we see the hotel we go to (not necessarily ski-related) merely as a place to fall asleep in

If Mrs M thought like that I could afford twice as many weeks a year on snow rolling eyes
snow report
Quote:

we see the hotel we go to (not necessarily ski-related) merely as a place to fall asleep in

If Mrs M thought like that I could afford twice as many weeks a year on snow rolling eyes
snow conditions
Sideshow_Bob wrote:
dstormer23 wrote:
beat this....

BEAT THAT!!!!!
DSTORMER23

Easy. UCPA/Action Outdoors. Argentiere starts from £483 inc full liftpass/kit hire/full board food cooked for you and 12 hrs of optional lessons. Add on transport as required at your £125 and insurance at £16 makes it £626. Options to change to full 6 days of guiding for an extra £100.

This. Went with them to Tignes. Best value ski holiday ever.
latest report
There are a few responses on here that clearly perpetuate the perception that snowsports are just for the very well off. Bit of a shame really. While it is lovely to stay in posh places now and again, what counts for me & Mrs MA is to be on the snow in winter, or in the mountains the rest of the time. Some may scoff but we had great fun camping in the car in Cairngorm car park a couple of times last spring. Surprising just how comfy Hotel Mondeo can be! In fact there's something quite satisying about getting a couple of days quality ski touring in for little more than the price of a tank of fuel.

Outside of trips abroad, we are out every weekend of the year skiing, mountain biking or hiking, often including overnight stays - so couldn't possibly afford to do all that if it always had to include pricey accommodation. Now where's that lottery ticket....
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy