Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Winterising a 4x4

Poster: A snowHead
albinomountainbadger wrote:
mishmash wrote:

My simplification of it is ... [above]

Suspect you're quite right, I hadn't considered the off-road aspect and was just looking at it in 'snow' terms.

mishmash wrote:

Also agree re Oponeo as often the cheapest but all seems to depend on brand and sizes.

Have used oponeo a lot too, often a very good deal but delivery times are very sketchy. Order a set of four and you might get two within a week but have to wait another week for the other two! Also found Blackcircles to be worth a look as fitting at a local independent centre is included in the price. That could become a useful selling point as in France now a lot of garages are refusing to fit new tyres that they haven't sold, so beware if you just roll down from Calais with shiny new rubber in the boot expecting to change them here.

When the tyres arrive depends on the courier I think. When my winter wheels turned up I got 2 one day and 2 the next (ordered from mytyres). Speaking to the delivery guy about it, each tyre is shipped as a separate item and so are processed separately. He'd delivered 3 tyres to one guy the day a couple of days before dropping my first 2 off, and was on his way to deliver the final tyre.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
albinomountainbadger wrote:
Also found Blackcircles to be worth a look as fitting at a local independent centre is included in the price. That could become a useful selling point as in France now a lot of garages are refusing to fit new tyres that they haven't sold, so beware if you just roll down from Calais with shiny new rubber in the boot expecting to change them here.

You can order from MyTyres to include fitting at a local independent too, that is what I did for all the ones I have bought.

Friends ordered through the French branch of MyTyres for the tyres to be delivered to and fitted by a garage near Chamonix.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
M+S means pretty much nothing, don't know why they put that on a tyre, neither are they winter tyres or mud tyres. Mud tyres are useless unless it's deep snow as the tread blocks are large and solid, on ice and compacted snow they give very little surface contact. Winter tyres are useless in mud as the tread just clogs with mud and turns them into slicks. How they can say that a tyre can deal with both is beyond me.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
There are also cheap imports from places such as China that have what looks like a mountain / snowflake symbol but they are not officially winter tyres. The tyre testers (European Automobile associations) often say they look the part but are not fit to use in winter conditions.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

M+S means pretty much nothing

Apart from a reasonable meal for two for £10 including wine
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Boris, Laughing
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Boris, Laughing Laughing
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Boris, Laughing Laughing
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
We got these for our Defender last year: http://www.centralepneus.fr/pneu-pas-cher/kumho/kc11-power-grip/235-85-R16-120-Q-253372.html

They were excellent, highly recommended.

Don't run summer / mud tyres on a Defender in winter. Truly terrifying. Up is fine (astounding even). Down, not so much...
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Boris, Laughing Laughing
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
CooperGrabber AT2 apparently in some sizes has the snowflake rating. Given their all-year capability (i.e. good in the wet too, unlike some snow tyres) and ability to take studs for very extreme conditions, these are probably the best bet. £100 each fitted at a local tyre place...
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Harry Flashman, They're 4 season tyres, not bad, but not as good as proper winter tyres.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thanks Spyderman - but I just need them to be adequate for compact snow and not unsafe. After all, I will also be driving in wet/damp conditions, and long distances on trans-continental motorways in the dry/damp/wet - the distance stopping/wet weather traction issues of a dedicated winter tread would be a problem in this type of driving, I think? I don't want my heart in my mouth on a motorway trip, at night, in the wet after picking the girlfriend up from Geneva to bring her to resort, for example. I'd rather compromise (a little) on ultimate snow performance than put my life in my hands when driving at speed or in rain...
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Harry Flashman wrote:
Thanks Spyderman - but I just need them to be adequate for compact snow and not unsafe. After all, I will also be driving in wet/damp conditions, and long distances on trans-continental motorways in the dry/damp/wet - the distance stopping/wet weather traction issues of a dedicated winter tread would be a problem in this type of driving, I think?

No, winter tyres are normally better. They are designed for wet, ice and snow and to provide traction better than summers from below 7 deg c. They don t really underperform summers until it starts to get warm.

You want to read this for background - its very short and they test Winters against 1 Summer tyre in wet, snow, ice aquaplaning etc etc. http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/wheels-and-tyres/60709/best-winter-tyres

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Thu 5-09-13 12:15; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Harry Flashman wrote:

Vredestein Wintrac Xtreme x 4 plus some cheap black modular steel wheels to hang them on = £600, which seems like a good plan. I can always sell them when I get back/next winter (I really don't need them for the UK - the Mud Terrains were fine for the 10 miles or so I did in London in last year's snow)

The Tyre fitter I use in SW London stores my winters/ summers for me for £60 a season. PM if you want their dets.
ski holidays
You generally gets what you paid for - e.g. Good quality 4 season tyres out performed cheap winter tyres in tyre tests.
snow report
Harry Flashman, ask a transfer company but I am pretty sure they keep winter tyres on for airport trips during the season...

Most alpine locals I know run full winter tyres all year, they can't be bothered changing them every few months (yes, I know and I'm sure they know that this shreds them faster over 7C but they just don't care.) Anyway point is they are fine in all conditions, not just snow.
snow conditions
Double post

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Thu 5-09-13 14:04; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
Can you get a block heater?
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy