Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Val d'Isère World Cup, Première Neige Criterium soon...

Poster: A snowHead
We hope, anyway! The plan is to follow the build-up to the race over the next month. There's a basic intro to plans over on MySnowSports, but for those just interested in following the conditions (GrahamN, did you end up booking training in Val that week?), I'll update here now and again.

A month is a long time at the start of the season, but snow - and consistently sub-zero temps - both urgently needed!

This cam from Valdinet.com of the race piste looking down to the village...

ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Can everyone stop posting these traumatic pictures of snowless resorts and post some less horrible pictures of starving african children? Wink
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
IanB, Laughing Plenty of time yet. Learn to control the fear.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hmm. This is where I'll be in January and it looks OK. Mind you, the webcam is a helluva lot higher up than PG's. Funny old thing, it appears to be the only webcam working live at LDA, at the moment wink
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
PG, yep, will be in Val d'I 10-17 Dec. Should be arriving just before 2pm on the 10th. Will they have finished by then? I see the Super Combined is on the 11th, so we may get to see some of that, although we are supposed to be in classes right from Sun am.

Desperately trying to think happy positive thoughts, particularly as I've just realised it's only 4 weeks away. That webcam doesn't exactly help though Sad . Trying to make up my mind whether to bring the new Fischer RC4s or the Legend 8000s. At the moment it's looking as if the Fischers would get more exercise Sad - but the obvious solution is to bring both Very Happy (assuming they don't sting me on excess baggage).

That cam's looking down Face isn't it - but isn't the racing now down OK/Orange into La Daille though?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
GrahamN, the cam is looking down the OK course, from just below the La Folie Douce restaurant I think.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
rob@rar.org.uk, OK...OK Wink . And you're off next week - innit? Wink

BTW - definite cold snap in the air around here today, I got my gloves out on the bike for the first time this year Shocked . Apparently freezing level was down to 1250m snowHead - such a shame the highest point for miles around is 294m Crying or Very sad !
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
GrahamN, yes, I'm in Tignes next week, then I'll be around for a long weekend in Val when the Men's Downhill is on (staying in Les Arcs and 'commuting' up each day). Fancy meeting up for a beer?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Must check it out on MySnowSports - I will be in Bourg 6th-13th December so may see some of you there or in Val, for a milkshake Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Bernard Condon, definitely!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Bernard Condon, rob@rar.org.uk, I can't do beer any longer, and milkshake is normally full of dead animal....so I may be forced to stick to the genepis Shocked . Sounds good, although I'll be with a huge SCGB group, so not quite sure what the schedule will be at present - but I'm sure I'll be able to play hookey, possibly Sat afternoon or Sun eve some time.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
GrahamN, sounds good. I'll PM you my mobile number closer to the trip. No worries if you can't escape from your Ski Club group because of a full timetable...
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Sounds like the makings of a S.O.S. Bash to me wink
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
PG wrote:
Sounds like the makings of a S.O.S. Bash to me wink

Indeed! Isn't DM also in Val that weekend? Wonder if he could be tempted by an apres ski genepi?
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:
milkshake is normally full of dead animal
Flies?
snow report
with the weather changing mid week in the Alps things might just look alot different by sunday....hopefully...fingers X
snow report
rob@rar.org.uk, PG, GrahamN, folks, you know me, I can always be tempted by a modest genepi. And yes, I will be there so we should defo catch up for a small libation.
ski holidays
Who's training/skiing with whom? I was listening in to Emma C-A's (Snoworks) instructions during gate training on Champagny today - now there's a coach who knows what she's talking about.
snow report
PG, I'm with Snoworks next week, although not sure who the instructor will be for my group.
ski holidays
With the big dump not really materializing (again) it still looks pretty thin at Val d'espair. Snow is forecast for the end of next week, hoping this will improve things a lot as my free lift pass for the weekend came through yesterday.
snow report
davidof, still waiting for mine! At least the cam looks a bit better now, something vaguely resembling a ski run anyway.
snow report
2 weeks to go things should start to happen now hopefully some more snow at least.
ski holidays
Here's an update on the latest situation. Things looking hopeful. Mind you if all that snow being made had been dumped around the Espace Killy instead, maybe they could have opened a couple of runs for the tourists instead of postponing the opening until Dec 3rd!
latest report
PG, that's excellent news!
latest report
rob@rar.org.uk, that's only excellent news if you have a start bib or want to hang around watching the race. Pity us poor punters who happen to be out in 10 days time and want to ski. Sad

10 days, I suppose it must be admitted is a long time in the Alps. There's always Les Gets...
ski holidays
David Murdoch, yes I suppose, but better than no skiing AND no racing! Wink
snow report
rob@rar.org.uk, would prefer skiing and no racing...! Totally selfishly of course. So much for high resorts early season - there seems to be loads of snow in the Jura... wink

Oddly enough there's a whole bunch more snow in the PDS than this time last year and a whole heap less in Vd'I.
latest report
David Murdoch, trust in the snow Gods, I'm sure it will be OK Smile
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
rob@rar.org.uk, We're pretty resourceful, we'll have fun somehow.
ski holidays
David Murdoch, it's snowing again at the moment, not a lot, but it all adds up!
snow conditions
PG, Let it snow...let it snow...let it snow....
latest report
Bernard Condon, indeed. At the moment it's looking like it's going to be the slalom skis coming out with me (+the walking boots), and the all-mountains still having to bide their time Sad . Still, off to S&R to find out how to service them on Thursday anyway.

(Om mani padi snow...Om mani padi snow...Om mani padi snow...snow....snow....snow)
ski holidays
David Murdoch wrote:
rob@rar.org.uk, PG, GrahamN, folks, you know me, I can always be tempted by a modest genepi. And yes, I will be there so we should defo catch up for a small libation.

I've started a thread in the 'Trips' section inviting Val d'Isere-bound snowHeads this weekend to suggest a venue for an apres-ski drink on one of the days that we're in the resort.
ski holidays
Good idea - was going to suggest Le Tuf...
snow report
News just in: the Thursday training run of the Premiere Neige downhill has been cancelled, due to heavy snow. Weather problems may now affect this weekend's programme. This report from Eurosport.
latest report
Friday's practice seems to be going ahead (as of 5.30pm Thursday evening). Hopefully this will be the case, as at least one practice run must take place if the race is to go ahead.
ski holidays
... and that training run did go ahead ...

... on what turned out to be a "beautiful day" ... reported here by Eurosport.
snow report
It was a very beautiful day: blue skies, calm conditions, cold, and a great atmosphere around the finish area. It was terrific to see all the top skiers in the flesh as they zoomed past Smile
latest report
rob@rar.org.uk, Much faster in real life?
snow report
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
rob@rar.org.uk, Much faster in real life?

Yes, in some ways it is. If you get close to the race course and watch them as they go past you it is very impressive. But what you get on TV are close-up shots, including the slo-mo action, which gives you a great view of how demanding the skiing is - you don't really get a sense of that when you're watching it live because they zip past you so quickly!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy