Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Aspen Snowmass January 2014

Poster: A snowHead
Looking for reasonably priced accommodation recommendations for Aspen Snowmass, also which is the better area to stay in.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I've never been to the Aspen area, though it's a place I've wanted to visit. By reputation, Aspen is not inexpensive and I've never very good deals for times we could visit. I would suggest posting your question on www.epicski.com. You'll need to register but it's otherwise free. You'd probably be able to find some info and maybe some locals who can help you out.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
RISkier, good point will do, I am a Barking Bear Very Happy
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Snowmass is the biggest & IMO the best of the Aspen ski areas. The other 3 hills are worth a visit :Aspen Highlands has some challenging steeps , Ajax is right in town but is quite a narrow tract but great after a dump of fresh snow, Buttermilk is easy skiing and has a good park. Snow mass accommodation is a real estate development, mostly virtually ski in ski out. Snowmass is just like every other US manufactured ski resort, Aspen town, on the other hand, is a unique organic evolution from an old mining settlement. There is so much going on in Aspen it would be a shame not to stay in town. The regular free bus shuttles get you to the different hills for variety.

http://www.americanskiclassics.com/ seem to be competitive for accomodation & lift passes. (no vested interest)
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Is Aspen best place in N America to go in Jan? It seems to struggle for snow early in season relative to other reasorts in US and especially Canada, and most Americans I have met recommend not going till at least Feb
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
peanuthead wrote:
Is Aspen best place in N America to go in Jan? It seems to struggle for snow early in season relative to other reasorts in US and especially Canada, and most Americans I have met recommend not going till at least Feb

Aspen is as good as most in the US for Jan. Better that many in fact.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
peanuthead wrote:

Aspen consistently gets as much snowfall in January as February and will already have a decent base.
If you want deep powder go elsewhere.
Not all resorts in Canada have high snowfall and have shorter days in January than Aspen.
Take your pick, I know where I would rather be.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
All booked, have decided on Aspen town, have been looking through the Aspen Snowmass web site to see if they offer for a local to take you round the mountain does any one know if they do? Also relative to the alps in January is it going to be any colder? Do I need to ask Santa for an extra mid layer Very Happy
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
radar, Good choice, you'll love it. I can't remember if they do the mountain friend orientation thing. They have lots of hosts at the base to give assistance and freebies. I guess they will find someone to show you around. Each of the 4 mountains are small enough to get your bearings. They do a wild life tour on skis http://www.aspensnowmass.com/en/events-and-activities/winter-activities/free-mountain-tours Temperature wise, January is the coldest, similar to the high Alps, it can be pleasant to cold, get some merino base layers and you'll be toasty.

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Sun 22-12-13 15:25; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
radar, They used to do ski hosting, usually meet up at a point at the base around 10 am IIRC. You will need to check as havent been there since 2006. They didnt take you down any gnarly stuff but could give pointers on best places to go wink Usually gave a talk too on the local enviroment.

You should enjoy it, Aspen is a fun place to ski and a great town - pop into Ute Sports and see Aron Madeye-Smiley
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Lechbob, thanks, link doesn't seem to work, but will have another hunt round their website, Mrs R has said i can't have any more merino base layers, Crying or Very sad was hoping to ask for a nice mid layer from embers merino, will tell its very cold and i need it Toofy Grin
Bones, thanks, looking forward to it!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Lechbob, worked without the dot
http://www.aspensnowmass.com/en/events-and-activities/winter-activities/free-mountain-tours
Very Happy
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
A lot of the US resorts have ski hosts on the mountain (catering to different ability levels). I also found it very easy to meet people on the chairlift. US skiers are very friendly and happy to show you around/hook up. with some I skied several times. When I was in Aspen (2004!) the SCGB had a rep there - I skied with her half a day (first day is free).
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
snowman, thanks for the suggestion, I did check out SCGB but they don't start till later in the month, pity.

Looks like the wildlife tour. Now I know why I couldn't find it was using a ipad not a proper computer.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I am sure that you will have a great time , Snowmass has some serious Double Diamonds, the only trouble is that when you ask the Yanks about these , they haven't got a clue , " we don`t do that sort of stuff "
It would be worth doing some online research on the Diamonds on snowmass , the trouble is that one double diamond or triple may be fairly ok and another one mind blowing.
Ajax is where you see the stars , met Jack Nicholson doing very graceful skiing , mind you he has a pad there so has plenty of time to practice.
Skiworld.ltd.uk used to do very good chalet deals in Aspen at one time, not that expensive in early January .
Also I seem to remember that we got a good discount on the lift pass as we were from outside the states , you should check that out.
Have fun. Very Happy
ski holidays
Awent, thanks booked through Ski Independence got a great deal on accommodation and a better discount than I could see on the Aspen site for the lift pass. Thanks for the tip on the diamonds will re-read WTSS and ask on Epic.
latest report
radar, Just check out the trail map for diamonds, easily accessed from the cirque drag, heading over to the Cirque Headwall, or the Headwall. If you like trees check out Frog Pond Glades and Hanging Valley Glades. The map doesnt show it but theres quite a lot on the back side in relation to the front side wink Where are you staying ?

Also Highlands is a great mountain - if you get the chance hike the bowl Madeye-Smiley

Awent, Saw him too, Martina snowboarding, and a couple of other celebs, at different times.
latest report
Bones, at the Molly Gibson, they had breakfast and après and the reviews where pretty good.
ski holidays
radar, Perfect location for buses too - across main st, and just along from you IIRC are two bus stops. Short walk too to the Hickory House Madeye-Smiley
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy