Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Alpe d'Huez - tips and advice in March

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
So a few friends and I have been convinced to join a few other friends in Alpe d'Huez at the end of March for European Gay Ski Week Shocked

We've been assured there are still lots of straight people around, and to be honest, it looks like a really fun/insane week. Plus I've never been to Alpe d'Huez and it's high on the hit-list.

Does anyone have any advice/tips on:
- where to stay? Probably self-catered but we'd look at catered
- good places to eat, on the mountain and off?
- apres venues?
- good ski schools for adult beginners and intermediates? english speaking
- recommended guides for the more advanced?

We know we can book packages as part of the week including accommodation, transfers etc, and these give us access to 'free' tours of the resort etc each day for different levels. And there will of course be loads of organised apres parties etc.

But it's good to know what the other options are in case they suit us better! And for the 75% of the group who are straight, some of the organised apres might not be quite what we want every night...

We do want to stay very central for both the nightlife, and easy access to lifts. And the group is mixed ability skiing wise.

Any help appreciated!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Stayed this year B&B in Le Dome. Comfy, room with nice balcony, good value. Very near lifts, very friendly people running it.

Restaurants we liked: Cremaillere, Petite Tavern and Lounge 21. Bars: Sphere

My stepdaughter's dad went to visit her on Gay Week (he's straight) last season while she was out there and I think he found it OK from what I gather
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
fixx, I've been there 3 times now, latest in February. I've stayed in the Bergers area twice and Eclose once. I prefer Bergers, it's very easy to get on the slopes (some ski in/out) and the queues aren't as big as in the main part of town. There are a few bars and restaurants in that part of town and it's not too far into the main part of the resort.

Favourite restaurant in town is Au Ble Noir, ate there twice in Feb.

On the mountain I like the little place down at Villard Reculas.

Masterclass is the only "English" ski school. I haven't used them but they are highly regarded, older experienced instructors. Stance are supposed to be very good and probably better for more advanced lessons.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
fixx, sounds good! I was there in February and had an excellent time.

+1 for Claude B's recommendation of staying in Bergers - from what I saw, anyway. We stayed in a chalet in the 'old town', near the bucket lift, which was a pleasant area and near to several bars/supermarket, etc - had no complaints, but if I went again I would definitely look at Bergers - it just seemed so handy for the slopes and would agree that queues were smaller round there.

I had group lessons with Masterclass - would certainly recommend them for beginners/any intermediates, though I'm not sure if they'd take complete beginners (it was my first week on the mountains but I was at linked snowplough turn level, just beginning to transition to parallel, before I went). From what I gathered, the instructor I had, Stuart, takes the lower level students and Mel takes more advanced lessons. They do small group lessons (there were 3 people in my group) or private lessons.

Finally, we really enjoyed an evening meal at a little French restaurant called Au Montagnard (in the 'commercial centre' near the swimming pool) - had 3x truly massive and delicious courses for 25 euros there, followed by free Genepi.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Just to add that Stance would be good for the more advanced. You can do a lot of good off piste stuff without going on a glacier (if off piste is what advanced people would be after.)
The guides office run trips which take you down the classic glaciated descent in the area (the Grand Sablat) with a helicopter ride back up the resort. That would be worth looking at - it's a beautiful run. Not too difficult technically, although you'll probably need to be able to deal with snow of varying quality because it is almost 2000m vertical drop if you go all the way to the bottom
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
another +1 for Bergers, but we stayed in a hotel so cant recommend SC accommodation though I did see that the P&V Les Bergers apartments have all been renovated and look really good - plus you are right at the bottom of the slopes for a quick and easy start to the morning. I did actually book for NY, but cancelled as I found something elsewhere. The booking was through Booking.com - theres free cancellation up until a month before your stay.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
fixx, I can't offer any advice now, but i will be working out there this winter but should be able to help nearer the time.

Nick
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy