Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Suitable resort for none skier and good child ski school.

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all. Here's the problem. I'm a very keen skier but my wife doesn't ski. She has tried it but alas, it's not for her. So I'm looking to take my 5 year old son and her away, he has never skied so will be going to ski school, I will have to ski on my own, and my wife will need something to keep her happy.

So, any ideas? I'm looking for somewhere suitable. Even better, perhaps a company that puts packages together as I'm sure there are others out there in a similar position, that way there may be others I can ski with.

I'm in the UK so Europe would be closest, but woks consider America. Thanks.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
We are going in April with our (will be) 4 & 7 yr old to Chalethotel Berengere with Mark Warner - I came across this write up when researching it

http://havealovelytime.com/2012/06/review-skiing-at-mark-warner-resort-les-deux-alps-france.html

Which had a non-skier in the party. We haven't obviously been yet.

We have also been with Esprit but I am not sure how good they would be for a non-skier but their Childcare is great.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Boofont, What kind of things does your wife like doing ? There are plenty of ski resorts near enough to cities that you could go to look at museums for a day or two.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
First of all, welcome to Snowheads! snowHead

Have you considered looking at the Swiss Jungfrau region resorts of Wengen, Murren and Grindelwald? The area has a wide range of ski runs and outstanding scenery (including the famous mountains the Eiger, the Monch and the Jungfrau). Wengen has its nursery slope right in the middle of town, and the whole area is great for a non-skier as there is a mountain railway network that allows your non-skier wife to get up the mountain and meet up with you for lunch etc, as well as getting around and visiting places on her own (or even tobogganing if she's up for that!) . More info on Wengen here and Murren here
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Boofont, same here. my wife was discouraged from skiing after a lesson in Ischgl 5 years ago ... never tried to ski after that, even after long persuasions. However, snow-shoe walking, hiking with 'racquets' as French call it is a nice thing. the guide will take the group at reasonable pace, many 'older' people join groups as well and each trip is different - it could be a very nice and slow way to learn about nature, mountains, animals. sledging in the evenings is a nice experience as well. each resort has several 'non-skier' activities, this year in Tignes I have seen many - check their website
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Boofont,
A lot depends on what your wife would enjoy doing , what time of year you are planning on going and what your budget is. In all honesty most half decent ski resorts should be able to cope with a five year old in ski school though some are possibly better than others for English speakers.
If your budget is high and your wife is into spa treatments and alpine scenery with walks etc. then a lot of upmarket Swiss resorts will cope well.
Although there are several ski resorts positioned to take advantage of some nearby Cities this may not be ideal if you want to meet up for afternoons or lunches.

Briancon has an attractive old town for wandering around in and a pleasant little nursery area at the half way station for children, together with access for the whole Serre Chevalier area for yourself.
Probably most pleasant in March when the town is likely to be a bit warmer.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hi all. Some great replies, thank you all very much! What does my wife like doing in answer to the question. Generally, spending my money! She would probably like to meet up for lunch, and she does like to relax so maybe some kind of place with a spa. Regarding ski school, good English speaking I think.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Boofont wrote:
What does my wife like doing in answer to the question. Generally, spending my money! She would probably like to meet up for lunch, and she does like to relax so maybe some kind of place with a spa.

If you are interested in my suggestion of Wengen, then the Victoria Lauberhorn hotel has an excellent spa facility, including a swimming pool with water jets etc. A group of Snowheads stayed there a few years back when we had a mid season Bash in Wengen. It's very conveniently located, near to the Wengen railway station for when you arrive and also right by the (car free) main street and just yards from the nursery slope. If you're looking for a tour operator package deal then I believe Thomson use the Victoria Lauberhorn.
From Wengen it's also easy for your wife to get by train to the nearby town of Interlaken for a day's visit (Interlaken has plenty of good shops and cafes, so might be an expensive day for you! Laughing )
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Boofont, I would agree with T Bar and suggest March or later for your wife. I think it would be a good time for a little one's first holiday, less chance of bitterly cold weather and longer days to spend skiing and enjoying the snow in other ways after lessons.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Seconded Alastair Pink's suggestion of Wengen for a non skier, in fact, I couldn't believe the amount of people who were there who didn't ski! More than any other resort I've ever been to. Lots of places to go on the train both to meet up and for her to visit whilst you're skiing. (And the Victoria Lauberhorn spa is really good.)
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks everyone. Been looking at your suggestions, some really good advice. Any views on resorts in the US or Canada please?
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Have you considered club Med ? They have a resort in Wengen but can't remember if its one that includes kids You can ski with a group your son can ski with other kids and activities for your wife
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
my wife also doesn't ski nowadays. she likes Zermatt, Serfaus, Les Gets, Morzine, Leukerbad, San Cassiano, Vail. these are just a few. key attributes for her are shopping, easy walking in or near village, ability to meet with skiers at lunch and some form of spa.

for younger children smaller resorts are generally better as you don't really use the skiing priced in to the bigger resorts, acknowledging that kid ski passes at that age usually cheap.

one of the ski resort selection sites (might be wtss) had a good resort selector feature.

good luck with the search.

by the way after 21 years of married skiing trips we bought in Grimentz as it gave most of what we wanted as a skier/non skier couple but it doesn't have real spa or shopping so not for you I think

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Sun 1-09-13 9:02; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
just remembered it is ifyouski.com (non skier resort list)

also Megeve is on the wife's list.

have fun searching - that is all part of it isn't it?
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
chrisJersey, yes, Megeve is a good one. My sister has 'let' her husband's group go there three years on the trot Laughing She enjoys the walking there and shops too I suspect, although I can imagine a lot of them are pricey. They have stayed at http://www.royalrochebrune.com/en/default.aspx each time - very handy for Rochbrune lift and she has managed to meet the group for lunch up on the mountain in whatever sector they have been skiing in (including me when I skied over from La Giettaz and met them on Jaillet side Very Happy )
snow conditions
Thanks once again for all the replies, quite taken aback by all the very helpful responses!
latest report
Look at serre chevalier. There is plenty to do in the valley whichever village you stay in as there is an easy bus service up and down the valley. Briancon is an interesting old town, there are small shops and bits to wonder round in each village and the hot baths at monetier are fab for all the family. There are also gondolas up the mountain so non skiers can join you for lunch at mountain restaurants. I had a great non-skiing week there a couple of years ago when I trashed my knee on day 1 of our holiday.

If you're looking for lessons contact Gavin at New Generation in Monetier.
snow report
Boofont, somewhere a bit cheaper would be Ellmau. Kaiserbad leisure centre is good with pool, water slides, sauna etc and good skiing for you and good ski schools. Other activities as well, but maybe not so hot on the shopping
ski holidays
Quote:

Any views on resorts in the US or Canada please?

Boofont, welcome to Snowheads. I've skied in many places in Europe and North America. I would only consider going to North America for a mixture of major sightseeing coupled with skiing. For example, we've linked a few days in San Francisco with skiing in Lake Tahoe then visiting Yosemite National park. Also Steamboat and Durango with a trip to Las Vegas and Grand Canyon in the middle. Boston with ski areas in Vermont and Maine. Fantastic all round holidays. However there's absolutely no way I'd go all the way to North America just to stay in a ski resort. European skiing is far better IMO.
So if it's just a ski resort you'd stay in then I'd support the Megeve idea, St Anton, Lech/Zurs. Obviously your budget and preferred level of skiing influence things too.
ski holidays
Boofont, if you were to decide on megeve there's a branch of the British Alpine ski School there - English speaking and small classes but from their website it doesn't appear they do children's beginner classes - if you ring them they might be able to recommend somewhere, though. Another option there is Simon Butler skiing - they run catered chalets where the ski lessons are "built in" for skiers. Megeve would be great for a non-skier - easy to get up the mountain to meet stunning scenery, loads of shops (some of them Shocked Shocked Shocked prices) and a very attractive pedestrianised centre. Loads of non-skiers, too.)
snow report
go on separate holidays.

You go skiing, she takes the kid and does something she wants to do.

When the kid is a bit older take it skiing with you while the wife does something else.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy