Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

First pair of skis!

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
OK, after probably about 8 years of skiing (at least a week a year if not two) I have decided I would like to buy my own skis. It just seems to make sense, rather than keep renting them.

I am 30, 95kg, ski mainly on piste but very keen to go more off piste. I have only ever skied in Europe. I would class myself as an intermediate.

Last year I tried a couple of skis that I can remember, the first was a small set of K2 twintips which were very soft - great fun but not so great at going fast! The second set I tried were some Kastle BMX 108s (about 175 long). I found that these were great fun in St Anton in March and didn't seem to be bothered with the wide ski - I just wish they were a bit more nimble as I do like to mess about abit and seem to be skiing switch more and more.

So have decided to go for an all mountain ski that can hopefully give me everything I want - great on piste, stable in crud - nice and fast!, is wide enough for some powder and fairly playful. This is the list I have come up with. Just wondered what peoples opinions on them are.

Blizzard Kabookie - same as Bonafide (which I cant find in the uk) but a bit softer.
Armada TST - Not that keen on the shape but sounds like its a top performer.
Line Prophet 98 - This seems to be my favourite by looking at write-ups etc - just not keen on the graphics!!
Scott Crusade - Like the look of this ski but doesn't seem to get as good a write up as the others.

Lastly - am I just splitting hairs between them. Would I really notice that much of a difference?! I just feel that whatever I get will be fine and anything that they are lacking I will get used to/compensate for etc.

Thanks
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Paulames wrote:

Lastly - am I just splitting hairs between them. Would I really notice that much of a difference?! I just feel that whatever I get will be fine and anything that they are lacking I will get used to/compensate for etc.

It depends NehNeh

I personally think I am pretty sensitive to different skis, boots and even tuning of a ski. My boyfriend who is a much better natural skier than me seems to not notice these things as much. If you have always hired and enjoyed all the different skis and have limited funds then just buy whatever you see the best deal on. If you have a pot of cash and can get a bit geeky about the gear then spent some time demoing skis on your next holiday then buy whatever you enjoy the most. I do think it is pretty hard to buy a rubbish ski nowadays, doesn't mean to say you might not enjoy skiing more on some than others.

There is also still a big argument for hiring if you are only skiing 1 or 2 weeks a year. I think this depends largely on what resorts you go to though as I generally browse hire shops when away and often don't see anything that exciting. Tignes and Mayrhofen/Tux are really the only 2 places I have been to that I have seen shops who stocked multiple skis I wanted to try, a lot of other places just have one generic mid 90's all mountain ski.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks for the reply. Whats the argument about only skiing 1-2 weeks per year and not buying your own skis? I would have thought it makes financial sense. All your really missing out on is changing your skis depending on the conditions etc but by buying one pair of decent all mountain skis, I would hope that I have the ski one ski I need.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Paulames, the argument against buying if you are only skiing 1 or 2 weeks a year is that when you add up the cost of transporting skis (on a plane), servicing and repairs along with the lifespan of the skis it is probably more cost effective just to rent.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Ummm, OK - I have been thinking that it would be more cost effective to buy but will have a search and investigate - thanks.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Umm, I have looked at the costs and its a close call.

Checked out four European resorts for premium ski hire to get an average (146) then totted up the cost of new skis (495) + carriage (40) + service each year (30).

After five years skiing just once a year it would have cost me 730 to hire or 1195 to buy.

If you ski twice a year it worked out at 1460 to hire or 1195 to buy.

Obviously there is some variables in there but has made me think!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Paulames,

That's all OK provided you can resist the temptation to buy another pair of skis before the 5 years is up.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
DB wrote:
Paulames,

That's all OK provided you can resist the temptation to buy another pair of skis before the 5 years is up.

Exactly what I was going to say, we are a family of 2 and a ski family of 8 Toofy Grin

To be fair I have got really good deals on second hand skis for the most part then sold them on with out losing too much. There is also the argument that once you have bought the skis then each subsequent holiday is cheaper so it is actually saving you even more money the more you ski.......

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Fri 30-08-13 19:08; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Paulames, In your situation I think I'd rent. You'll be sure to want something different. wink No ski does everything. Also, you are comparing your skis which will only be "new" in the first year, with top skis from a hire shop. By year 3 - 5 they'll defiinitely not be "the latest thing" even though they will no doubt be perfectly good. Ski carriage costs are a real killer. You have your own boots, presumably?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Just found out that I will be going to Neiderau in January - not my first choice but I cant it will be fun I'm sure. Not sure what the ski hire will be like in this area but think the off piste will be limited. Sad

I do have my own boots yes - they must be about 4 years old now. My right ankle is about 10mm wider than the left after many years of spraining it at basketball so had to get one boot adjusted to account for this. I think if I was going to a bigger resort with more hire shops/choice I would definitely rent but am now thinking I may buy. I think it will come down to being a bit of an impulse buy in the end.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Seeing as we are in the off season you can probably pick up some 'last season' skis at a heavily discounted price, which may help with the pricing decision. For example when I bought my skis I picked them up for about £250, rather than the full price of £460 or so.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy