Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Swiss tax disc

Poster: A snowHead
Is there anyway to get this online or in advance? Or is it a matter of paying at the border?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
skimottaret, Try here. http://rail.stc.co.uk/vignette.html
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I just get it at the last services before the border, and combine it with a pit stop. Saves paying P+P.

If it's a Saturday morning crossing into CH at Basel, then the sales queue is often quicker than the "already got a vignette" queue anyway.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
geepee, cheers... "Valid between 1st December of the previous year and 31st January of the following year"

being an idiot i need it for month of nov and early december, if pre ordered in October I am assuming it is good until 31 Jan ??
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Yes, it will be valid until 31Jan 2014
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Yep good till the end of Jan, think it's currently £29 +3.50 Booking fee from the above link

Oh and it's not a Tax Disk, it's just to cover Motorway Driving instead of say Toll Booths in France, it has always seemed very reasonably priced compared to the French Tolls
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
If I wanted one I would just get it at the border or at a Swiss garage when getting fuel, I haven't bothered using the motorways the last couple of winters.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
fixx, are you still in Geneva? I remember that you were going to have to leave at some stage?

To the OP - all the local petrol stations sell them in Switzerland, or you can just buy one at the border, and some places on the autoroute in France near the border sell them too. Just depends on your route. So long as you haven't been stopped on an autoroute inside Switzerland without one (other than at a border crossing) there's no penalty.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
PM me if you need one - Got on sitting on my desk - £25 delivered
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
There was some talk a few months ago about the vignette going up quite a bit. Anyone got any news on that?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
The resolution was approved to raise it to 100CHF *at some point* - but a date wasnt given.

As I understand it, it's meant to be when the road fund reserves fall below a certain level (100m CHF?) - which might be 2014, or might not be until 2015.

I haven't heard anything recently to say it would be next year, but given swiss efficiency, they could roll it out pretty quickly once decided!
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
heard rumours of a 40CHF 2 month sticker too. So now my 2-3 weekends per year in CH would cost either 80 or 100CHF. A 10-day ticket for sub €10 like Austria, would be handy.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Oh and apparently a cheaper 2month tourist one will be introduced at the same time - no idea how muchc but I'd bet on 40chf Smile

Whitters, yep, still here for now! Trying not to leave, and working through options, but have a firm job offer in London which is slightly tempting...
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
fixx, Hope you get to stay! Any tips for getting in? Been trying for a while to secure a contract in your region..
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
fixx, thanks
snow report
fixx, well, I hope it works out for you either way. It would be nice to squeeze in one last season though!!!!
ski holidays
Ooops, andy, cross-posted Smile

Neraida, Whitters, thanks. I'm 95% certain I'll be staying - it'd have to be a really good offer in London for me to leave! Can't abandon the skiing quite that easily NehNeh

Neraida - there are a few options depending on how flexible you are:
1. work in the UK for a big multinational with an office in Geneva, and work as closely as possible with it, including trips out - makes it easier to apply for other jobs if you can already show you've done some work and know the culture. And you might be able to transfer internally (that's how I got here - internal transfer)
2. take any job at all, including bar work etc - anything to get a permit! And then apply for something more suitable once you're already here.
3. From where you are, tidy up your CV, get professional advice on it, and spam every recruitment agency you can find. Check out which companies have offices in Geneva and email them directly. Most importantly set aside money for trips over to meet recruitment agencies face-to-face, and interviews etc. You need to show yourself to be willing to interview/compete locally.

And French language skills are a distinct advantage!
ski holidays
Good advice fixx. I would also extend your search to companies in canton Vaud unless your heart is set on working in Geneva itself. There are loads of multinationals with offices along the Lake Geneva shoreline, in places such as Nyon, Rolle, Morges and Lausanne.
latest report
fixx, Thank you Smile Am doing all of number three at the mo and have a few recruitment contacts that I've had face to face interviews with. Sometimes it's tempting to just pack up and go, without a job to go to and look once there; but am hoping something bites really soon too!
Whitters, Almost snagged a role in Lausanne a while back, but it didn't materialise. Got Basle and the surrounding area on the list too, as well as Lyon/Grenoble etc.
Great advice. Thank you very much!
snow report
Send me some money
I will send you one.
latest report
nixmap, I'm disappointed its not a "Drive for free in Switzerland" offer
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy