Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Favourite Austrian resorts within reach of Munich by train ??

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Flying into Munich on Saturday March 1st for a week for the annual lads trip (only 3 or 4 of us and it's more Dads than lads these days..).

Last couple of years we have stayed in Soll and love the ease of getting there by train.

This year we fancy a change of resort / ski area so can anyone suggest another good resort that is easy to get to? Somewhere with a few bars where we can stay central and have easy access to the pistes, not too small a ski area either.

Oh, and ideas for a cheap b&b or apartment would do nicely as well Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Thanks in advance

ps all good intermediates, mix of snowboarders & skiers...
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
pablito69, maybe try Zillertal. If you hit it right you can get direct from Munchen Ost to Jenbach in 1:20. Then the local train up to Zell am Ziller, Kaltenbach etc
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
pablito69, The Zillertal resorts (Kaltenbach/HochFügen, Zell am Ziller, Mayrhofen) are very easy to get to by train from Munich - just change at Jenbach onto the Zillertalbahn narrow gauge railway which runs up the valley from Jenbach all the way to Mayrhofen. (Incidentally, travel on the Zillertalbahn and the valley ski busses is included in the Zillertal SuperskiPass).
Mayrhofen is the largest and best known of the resorts, but the other areas I mentioned (Zell am Ziller with its Zillertal Arena ski area and Kaltenbach/Hochfugen with its HochZillertal ski area) are well worth consideration as well.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I see Bode Swiller beat me to it with the recommendation for the Zillertal. Laughing
If you decide to stay in Mayrhofen I can recommend the Garni Obermair B&B - they do an excellent buffet breakfast, and the hotel has a small indoor pool. There are plenty of different places to eat out in the evening. The Garni Obermair is near to the Mayrhofen Zillertalbahn station which is convenient when you arrive in /leave the resort or if you have day trips to ski at Zell and Kaltenbach (recommended).
If you stay in Zell in the town centre you have to catch a frequent ski bus to the skilifts which are about a mile away.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
We took the train to St Anton a couple of years ago , it will probably take about the same time as the trip to Mayrhofen.

In Mayrhofen, Garni Obermair B&B is ok, handy for the train station, but has got to be close to the bottom of my list of places to stay for convenience for everything else.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
pablito69, You have chosen Fasching Week by the way. Worth getting something booked.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Worth also looking at 4 seasons for a transfer. I was looking the other day, 4 people Munich to Mayrhofen return 74 euros each. Same price as the train, but will probably get you to resort a bit quicker. www.tirol-taxi.at
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
googiew, not on that particular Saturday as it is the beginning of the Bavarian and Baden-Württemburg half term holidays as well as most of Austria! It is Fasching week, great week to be in Austria, but can be hell getting there is your timings and the weather are not right!

The train is the best way to travel on peak weekends if you cannot get up before dawn to get started! Toofy Grin Put the dutch, Danish and other Scandinavians in the mix and you are looking at some lovely traffic jams where they all converge around Munich as well as along the A8 Munich to Rosenheim and then the A93 Rosenheim to Kufstein (it does get a wee bit better after Kufstein as the tightwads all exit there to avoid buying a vignette. Laughing As of this coming season they will all be exiting at Kiefersfelden as the "free pass" to Kufstein-Süd has been revoked - effective from the end of November this year I believe when the new 2014 vignettes start being sold.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
For convenience it's hard to beat Haus Monica in Mayrhofen, a stumble from the Penkenbahn. Comfortable rooms with big baths, B & B is about £45 a night.
The Hotel Perauer is another favourite of ours, half board can be about £65 peak dates a bit more.
Finally, the Landenhof is nice too.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Samerberg Sue wrote:
googiew, not on that particular Saturday as it is the beginning of the Bavarian and Baden-Württemburg half term holidays as well as most of Austria! It is Fasching week, great week to be in Austria, but can be hell getting there is your timings and the weather are not right!

The train is the best way to travel on peak weekends if you cannot get up before dawn to get started! Toofy Grin Put the dutch, Danish and other Scandinavians in the mix and you are looking at some lovely traffic jams where they all converge around Munich as well as along the A8 Munich to Rosenheim and then the A93 Rosenheim to Kufstein (it does get a wee bit better after Kufstein as the tightwads all exit there to avoid buying a vignette. Laughing As of this coming season they will all be exiting at Kiefersfelden as the "free pass" to Kufstein-Süd has been revoked - effective from the end of November this year I believe when the new 2014 vignettes start being sold.

Very good point, I forgot about that. Definitely get the train Very Happy
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks for all the replies, Mayrhofen by train it is! Not much availability but managed to get a triple room at the Rosenhof, best deal by far so will see how that is... Puzzled Puzzled Puzzled
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
pablito69, very handy for the train station and buses and a nice freshening walk home at the end of a tiring evening. At least it won't be noisy (apart from the thundering river of course)
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I stayed there a few years back on a last minute summer "lakes and mountains" deal for a Tux week, nice enough but don't think we had en-suit but did have the floor to ourselves.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy