Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Buy or rent skis

Poster: A snowHead
Hi

I have just started skiing, and going away in January. I am hoping to go away at least once maybe twice a year. Also go to snowdome once a month.

Do you think i should invest in my own skies, or easier and cheap to rental on holiday?

Thanks
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I would rent at first.

You will improve very quickly and your needs will change quickly. After four a five years, if you still like it then maybe buy.

However, the airlines are pretty smart and the cost of bringing ski's is finely balanced against the cost of renting. So unless you drive it makes more sense to rent.

Ski bling and technology changes quickly so you might find yourself wanting to upgrade every few years, another reason to rent.

Why would you want to go to a snowdome once a month if you are planning on proper skiing twice a year??
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I am going to snowdome, to get practice
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
The wisdom of the snowHead collective would suggest that boots are more important than skis.
Invest your money in a well-fitted pair of ski boots and hire the skis in resort.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I have invested in good boots, thanks Very Happy

Think i will keep my money for hols then
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

Why would you want to go to a snowdome once a month if you are planning on proper skiing twice a year??

Why not? Lots of people do, but personally I would only go if having a lesson, not just to burble around.

I'd say rent. I have just packed up my ski gear and boots (I'm in France at the moment), as I am going to Hemel next month, and possibly to Tignes in November. I have 4 pairs of skis Embarassed but it's really not worth lumping them around and paying to fly with them - I shall rent (free, in Hemel, IIRC). I definitely don't think it's worth owning skis, as a relative beginner, if you are flying to ski for one or two weeks a year.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I have a pair of decent second hand skis that I use at Hemel (I have a lot of lessons over the summer when it's quieter and cheaper!) but when I go away I'll rent for the reasons others have mentioned. Also it's a chance to try out the latest and greatest skis as well without the huge financial commitment!

Not to mention the fear of them being pinched.. whilst it's still the same hassle if rental ones are nicked, there's not quite the same emotional attachment. And no concerns over them not showing up the other end when flying either.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks guys, really helpful. Also think i would cry if they would be damaged or scratched lol
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
pam w wrote:
Quote:

Why not? Lots of people do, but personally I would only go if having a lesson, not just to burble around.

I'd say rent. I have just packed up my ski gear and boots (I'm in France at the moment), as I am going to Hemel next month, and possibly to Tignes in November. I have 4 pairs of skis Embarassed but it's really not worth lumping them around and paying to fly with them - I shall rent (free, in Hemel, IIRC). I definitely don't think it's worth owning skis, as a relative beginner, if you are flying to ski for one or two weeks a year.

I'm sure they are great for lessons but when I went, and admittedly only the once, I found the noise, lighting and general environment gave me a stonking migraine. Also reminded me a bit of the feeling of being in an ice skating rink.

I just didn't enjoy the experience.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
As you improve also do not underestimate the freedom to change up your skis in a rental shop as the conditions change! I usually take two pairs out (ideally it would be 3) because I use race skis on piste (tuned by me) and like to have skis with touring bindings off piste. It is a massive pain and expense and really not worth it for 90% of people. A lot of Brits seems to have the idea that they need own their skis for one ski trip a year just because they can.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I suppose the thought of having my own skis was nice. Just heard about bad rentals, thats all

Just dont want to have crap skis and poles
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Dals wrote:
I suppose the thought of having my own skis was nice. Just heard about bad rentals, thats all

Most good rental shops have a high turnover of gear so it is very current and usually have tiers of gear - ie. pay more and you get better skis. Having rented in big resorts it is not uncommon to get skis out of the wrapper early season.

Dals wrote:
Thanks guys, really helpful. Also think i would cry if they would be damaged or scratched lol

In that case definitely don't own your own gear! One lift queue in Italy or snow covered rock and you'd be rather upset! I have spent many an evening with edge tools and p-tex...
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Dals wrote:

If you're just starting to ski, you probably wouldn't recognise crap gear. And gear that's suited to you now would soon become restrictive.

As has been said, the economics of buy vs rent are quite finely balanced once you take account of servicing and transport costs. I still prefer to own my own, though. Partly that's because of the sense of ownership, but it's also because I know exactly how my skis will respond even though they're five years old and have none of the latest bling. As Roosevelt might have said, they might be crap old skis, but they're my crap old skis.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Jonny Jones,
Quote:

As has been said, the economics of buy vs rent are quite finely balanced once you take account of servicing and transport costs. I still prefer to own my own, though. Partly that's because of the sense of ownership, but it's also because I know exactly how my skis will respond even though they're five years old
+1
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Can't be bothered to lug skis through airports. I like the flexibility of choosing skis according to conditions/itinerary of the day. It's hiring for me.
snow report
Perfectly valid. On the other hand, I am such a dodgy skier that I like the certainty of familiar skis. (In other words, the ones that best cover up my lack of skill!) Such skis are not readily available for hire...

snowHead
ski holidays
For a new skier it is not worth buying, they won't make much difference to your skiing. After that Puzzled it's a difficult calculation. They are a pain to carry to resort, on the other hand it can be a pain to go out in the cold to the hire shop on arrival. Ski carriage cost can be considerable and you have to factor in the cost of servicing the skis.
When hiring you can choose ski to suit current conditions & change them to suit but don't expect much of a choice unless you are paying a premium. Indeed I have seen people been given very tired skis & even skis with loose bindings. Do not take the first pair of skis they offer if they don't look good, insist on better even if you have to pay a premium. I have always taken out the extra insurance in case of damage or theft, I don't know if this is necessary, you holiday insurance probably covers it but do you want the hassle.
I had decided to go down the hiring route because of the high carriage cost with some airlines. Indeed at the last EoSB the great deal with in-house shop upgraded me to the latest asymmetric rocker skis. Then my buddy bought some new skis in the sales, they had an offer I couldn't refuse. I guess many snowHead s are gearheads too and find they own a quiver of skis. I always have the dilemma of which skis to take, carvers or bad fatboys but usually manage to make the wrong choice or take all mountain skis which never quite satisfy.
ski holidays
Dals, like most have said renting while learning is probably the right way to go. But if you do buy at some point be aware (based on my experience) that then going back to rentals can be a bit of a shock. I like my skis, bit old but I know how they will perform (or not as the case may be). Last season I gave some rentals a go for a week and never felt 100% comfortable as the edges just did not seen sharp enough (even after a discussion in the shop). I gather that rental skis do not get sharpen up as much to make them last longer (so I have been told), so I never felt as comfortable in the turn on steeper slopes. It might have just been "all in the mind" but this season I am back to my owns skis - they were bought in 2008 and even taking ski carriage and servicing into account they have been good value and still have plenty of life in them.
snow report
narc wrote:
Dals wrote:

In that case definitely don't own your own gear! One lift queue in Italy or snow covered rock and you'd be rather upset! I have spent many an evening with edge tools and p-tex...

Battle scars should be cherished and worn with honour. Cool
snow conditions
I defo agree with the general guide that boots are a more worthwhile investment. I was a complete beginner 5 years ago, but soon realised that having boots that fit properly does more for your confidence than almost anything else as you progress. I also think that the same applies for skis however, as I discovered last season having bought my first pair.

I'd tested a few pairs at a snowdome for free before deciding on the ones I wanted. The difference I found from using some (old) hired skis from a shop was quite stark. I know there are good and bad hire skis, but who wants to faff around in a shop - I think it's important to make the most of the time you have available on a ski holiday. I was able to have an extra half day on the slopes when I went to 3V last season, whilst my travelling companions were having to queue in a hire shop waiting to be fitted up. As far as cost is concerned, I waited until the end of the season before buying and achieved a saving of over £150 as a result. As for carriage on airlines, well, some are better than others - and we all know who the 'villains' are - but I was able to fly to Venice with BA on the birthday bash last season for only £76 return including carriage.
snow report
I hired skis at first, then bought my own first ones at less than half price at the end of the season. Don't have experience of lugging them through airports, as we drive. Beware if you buy one pair, you will probably be forever looking for the next ones and all associated stuff.... Toofy Grin
snow report
Neraida, So true, I found myself eyeing up a second, fatter pair of off piste skis the other week - in the sale of course wink
snow conditions
pam w wrote:
I shall rent (free, in Hemel, IIRC)
Correct, they're included in the slope time cost.
ski holidays
Agree its not worth it for a begginer but as soon as your past that and want some varied terrain Id pick up a pair. Ive ended up with a good quiver now with a set of race skis, park skis, big mountain skis and all mountain skis. I just buy second hand ones that are about 4 or 5 years old but they're still amazing compared to any higher skis Ive had. People say you can switch your skis up depending upon conditions but thats not my experience. Yes you can rent different quality skis but Ive never been able to rent a set of fat powder skis or twin tip park skis and I always get the premium package.

When you only have 1 pair then its a toss up between the cost of renting and ski carriage but as soon as you have 2 or more than it becomes worth while.

Its a no brainer for me now as I snowboard aswell and manage to cram 2 pairs of skis and a snowboard all in the same bag so only pay once instead of having to higher both sets of equipment or have to go through the hassle of swapping one set for the other at some point in the holiday.
ski holidays
Quote:
Yes you can rent different quality skis but Ive never been able to rent a set of fat powder skis

Swapped in and out of Nordia Radicts in Montgenevre last March, for example.
ski holidays
Maybe Ive just been going to rubbish shops then but Ive only ever had the choice of pretty standard piste skis, has been a couple of years since I rented though.

Just had a look on skiset and they seem to be as I remember, nothing out of the ordinary whatever package you go for: http://www.skiset.co.uk/booking/catalog/
snow report
I'll take that back, just found some nice fatties on there, must have got a bigger stock in the last few years
ski holidays
I recommend against using skiset to book ski hire in advance, except as a last resort.
In my dealings with them, they have proved quite unscrupulous and I would not trust them an inch now. Of course, each Skiset shop is run independently and many are great ski shops in themselves so lots of people will have had a perfectly good experience with them however, there's no consistency of quality control to the operation so problems do occur quite frequently. If and when a problem of any kind occurs with your booking, you're dealing with the central office and from there you're pretty well stuffed IMO.

There are other networks who provide the same, or even better, ski hire discounts and I suggest using any of them before Skiset.
eg. alpinresorts
snowbrainer
sport2000
etc.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
admin grinding an age old axe?
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy