Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Help please selecting resort for group of intermediates (some very timid)

Poster: A snowHead
After all the great help from everyone last year, I'm hoping some of you might be able to help me out with this please as I'm rather out of my depth! Not sure if this is the right place to ask, but fingers crossed Little Angel Bit of an essay, sorry.

I'm helping to organise a ski trip for a group (8 - 14).
We vary in age from mid 30s to late 60s, with the majority 50+.
Most have learned to ski in the last year or two on dry slopes in the UK.
Some have been skiing longer and had a lot more weeks on snow, but several in the group have only had one or two weeks on snow.
Although everyone can ski at a reasonable level due to regular dry slope lessons, quite a few are very timid/apprehensive and inexperienced on snow.
No one is a real thrill seeker (even amongst the more experienced skiers) and everyone is happy to just cruise.

So we're looking for resort suggestions please:

With easy cruising greens or blues (not steep).
General fitness levels are varied, so we need somewhere that doesn't involve lots of walking with skis either in resort or on the mountain.
We like to meet up easily during the day if we divide into smaller groups.
Lunch on the mountain ideally - just soup, chips etc
We don't need nightlife - apres ski is limited to a drink or two on the way home.
Probably travelling mid March so needs to be pretty snow sure.
Can't be expensive as this is a second ski holiday for many in the group.
Ideally a small supermarket in the resort (one member has a food allergy and prefers to buy food where he can read the ingredients list).

Suggestions (in no particular order) from friends, reading and TOs so far have been Cervinia, Passo Tonale, Montgenevre, La Plagne, Les Gets, San Cassiano, Puy Saint Vincent, Alpe D'Huez, Westendorf, St Christoph and Grachen. I'm working my way through these and would appreciate any feedback on whether these strike people as suitable and any other suggestions please - thanks Little Angel

If anyone can actually recommend TOs or accommodation in any of the suggested resorts too please, then that would be wonderful Very Happy Not sure if we're aiming for a package or DIY, hotel or chalet (becomes difficult with people not prepared to commit or booking late). Last year we did DIY; some drove, some flew (and then used the train for transfers) and we stayed in a great personally recommended 2* hotel, which was almost empty apart from us. Great food (despite the 2*), comfortable beds, ensuites for everyone - this is all on the wish list again. We're not a group that can use triple rooms etc, we need doubles/twins and singles.

For anyone who hasn't yet given up on reading this post wink, here's a quick low down on last year in case that helps clarify things, especially for those who know Saas Fee (though we actually stayed in Saas Grund).
We left our skis in storage near the nursery slopes so after the first day that was OK, but repeatedly carrying the skis through the tunnel on Felskinn was too much for some members of the group. We liked the nursery slope by Felskiin lift and the blue runs around the nursery slopes, but the two village slopes that are together were very steep for our more timid members. Apart from the village area, we mainly stuck to the run from Felskinn to Morenia which everyone enjoyed (though the narrow bit at the start wasn't ideal). The blue from Fleskinn that runs to the 6 man chair lift by crossing the red was OK to start with, but the red part and the narrow bendy bit down to the chair scared quite a few and we only did it once. A couple of people skied some of the other blues and one member skied some reds and down from Felskinn. We didn't do the Langfluh as we felt the long drag lift would have been too much for some. So as you can see we didn't tackle many runs! The restaurant at Morenia was great for lunch - big choice to suit all tastes, tables outside and decent loos. Saas Fee village is lovely of course and great for drinks on the way back to the bus station.

Huge thank you to anyone that's made it to the end of this essay and has any suggestions. Absolutely any (relevant ... please be nice wink) thoughts would be very appreciated (and yes, I'll work on being more succint for next time!) Thanks again.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
HelenS, Les Saisies with http://www.classicski.co.uk/

But that might be a bit expensive - the Calgary is very nice, but not a budget hotel! The resort would be perfect for your group, though not before mid March as it's French school hols and the slopes will be a bit busy for nervous skiers.

If you like the look of Les Saisies but the Classic ski option is too expensive, I could suggest alternatives.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Westendorf may not be the best bet. My Mum (even after 18 odd weeks on snow and good technique) is a fairly nervous skier, and finds some of the runs (inc the main one to the village) a bit pushy (fairly steep in places for the red grading). OTOH, she loves some runs; the blue 111 is fantastic for any skier. Depends how nervous your guys are and/or if they'd mind only using one of the village runs. If that's ok, it's a fantastic resort. The main part of the Ski Welt (Soell, Scheffau,etc) has plenty of skiing to suit you though.

You could also look at Saalbach and Morzine/PdS, both full of easy, cruisy runs, though can involve a short walk between ski areas. More walking across Morzine (5 mins tops in Saalbach), but they also have a train/tractor-trailor thing, so you can avoid it if you're happy to wait.
BTW, everywhere is snow sure in mid-March, it's a great time to ski.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
HelenS wrote:
quite a few are very timid/apprehensive[/i] and inexperienced on snow.
No one is a real thrill seeker (even amongst the more experienced skiers) and everyone is happy to just cruise.
With easy cruising greens or blues (not steep).
Lunch on the mountain ideally - just soup, chips etc
We don't need nightlife - apres ski is limited to a drink or two on the way home.

I can't relate to this, doesn't sound like fun.
I don't envy you putting a group together, difficult to satisfy everybody. I would save the stress & go on the S10BB & let Admin take the strain.

I think I would rule out St Christoph.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Went to Les Gets with ski total in catered chalet last season. All chalets central in the village and we were able to leave skis and boots at hire shop at bottom of slope. Lots of cruisey blue runs and plenty of places on mountain to eat don't think there would be a need for full area pass, from what you have described the local pass covering les gets and morzine would suit your group.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I would not recommend Puy St Vincent for the more timid members of your group. It isn't that cruisy and is a bit limited. Most of the accommodation is fairly basic apartments.

Montgenevre would be ideal as a resort I'd say. We've been there a couple of times with Peak Retreats who offer a variety of accommodation. The self catering options are very good but they also offer a couple of hotels. We went with several other families and some went by train, some flew to Turin and a couple used the self drive package.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Of places you've mentioned I have been to La Plagne which is definitely very cruisy.

Definitely rule out St Christoph though as Lechbob, says
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I find the Loferer Alm with the base in Lofer (Salzburger Land in Austria) excellent for timid skiers; it's where I often start off with visitors. It is not a very big area but has pleasant pistes (including a few more challenging). The disadvantage, possibly, is that you have to take the cabin lift up to the ski area (with about 10 metres walk at the middle station currently). And down as well, for the valley run is not for the faint of heart.

Lofer is a small village and, I think, relatively cheap. You would probably have to walk to the lift from any hotel but I believe you can leave skis at the ski hire shop by the lift. There is a supermarket (and other shops) in the village.

There are some photos in my albums in the snowMedia Zone.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
laura1182 wrote:
Went to Les Gets with ski total in catered chalet last season. All chalets central in the village and we were able to leave skis and boots at hire shop at bottom of slope. Lots of cruisey blue runs and plenty of places on mountain to eat don't think there would be a need for full area pass, from what you have described the local pass covering les gets and morzine would suit your group.

agree with this, and being mid March you will miss the school hols. Barring a very bad snow season, you will be fine with snow cover all the way to the village, and as Laura says, the les gets area including down to Nyon, and Morzine is very cruisy.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks for so many replies. I know the group sounds very boring Lechbob, but actually we had a great time last year and lots of laughs, but not enough skiing really. What’s S10BB? I assume it’s one of the group holidays organised on SH? They did look great last year – I was very tempted!

pam w One couple in the group (less nervous and with a few more weeks - though not years - skiing under their belt) have done Les Saisies at the Calgary with http://www.classicski.co.uk/ and loved it. They were incredibly impressed with their guide/instructor and they skied all over the area. They will be doing it again this year as their main ski holiday, but it's way over the budget for the group unfortunately. I’m not sure if this couple would be happy to go to the same resort with the group - though obviously it would help a lot as they know their way around – but I would be interested to hear what the budget alternatives are please. I forgot to mention though that we don’t want to self-cater, so that probably rules the budget options out.

clarky999 Thanks for the Westendorf comments. Some members really are very nervous – don’t like steep slopes or narrower ones like roads with drops. I don’t think they would venture off blues this holiday.

So sounds as if I can rule out Westendorf, St Christoph and Puy St Vincent and should look at Les Gets (including Morzine), Montgenevre and La Plagne further (thanks Lechbob, snowymum, peanuthead, laura1182 and dennisp) . Skitotal look interesting – hadn’t come across them. I’ll also check out Lofer, which looks promising and is completely new to me (thanks espri), plus Saalbach (thanks clarky999 ).

Val Cenis has just been suggested too. Looks as if the greens at the bottom in the trees would all be roads though – is that right does anyone know please?

Any other thoughts still very gratefully received Smile
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
HelenS wrote:
should look at Les Gets (including Morzine), Montgenevre and La Plagne further

Make sure you look at different resorts within a ski area... Morz and LG? check the whole pds, MontG check the whole Milkyway, La plagne check the whole paradiski... there are loads of great resorts with in a certain ski area, and you shouldn't limit yourself to just looking in one resort within said ski area... it's like saying 'I want to go to England... I'll go to London'...
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
HelenS, I don't really look at runs quite so conservatively, but I'd think Cervinia ticks all your boxes.

Mind you, I'd also suggest a gentle bus tour of the Italian lakes. Doesn't sound as though skiing is really your group's bag... Evil or Very Mad
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
under a new name wrote:
HelenS, I don't really look at runs quite so conservatively, but I'd think Cervinia ticks all your boxes.

Mind you, I'd also suggest a gentle bus tour of the Italian lakes. Doesn't sound as though skiing is really your group's bag... Evil or Very Mad

rolling eyes come on uann, not everyone has to be off pisters going for crazy lines. A realxing few days cruising and hitting up some nice bars and restaurants sounds like a very similar way I like to enjoy being in the mountains. I would also like to learn to get more from the mountain, but it doesnt have to be everyone's cup o't.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
HelenS wrote:
Thanks for so many replies. I know the group sounds very boring Lechbob, but actually we had a great time last year and lots of laughs, but not enough skiing really.

Just up the skiing amount, you can still enjoy the mountains if you 'only' cruise.

HelenS wrote:
They will be doing it again this year as their main ski holiday, but it's way over the budget for the group unfortunately. I’m not sure if this couple would be happy to go to the same resort with the group - though obviously it would help a lot as they know their way around – but I would be interested to hear what the budget alternatives are please. I forgot to mention though that we don’t want to self-cater, so that probably rules the budget options out.

This entire sentence may limit your options to a smaller resort, which will in turn limit your options for catered - although being after holiday season may lighten the price a little. Give your budget constraints here, everyone on SH's has a pretty good finger on the pulse IME of going rates, and at a certain price you would be ruling out places like Morzine/Courmayer/Switzerland in its entirety!

HelenS wrote:
clarky999 Some members really are very nervous – don’t like steep slopes or narrower ones like roads with drops. I don’t think they would venture off blues this holiday.

My wife has the same issue. My suggestion was Les Get for the reason that VERY few runs are like this. Piste B is in fact a great practice run down to Morzine for people getting to grips with road runs. Also, the piste over to Nyon from Les Gets is a good road piste progresser! (Ive hunted them out). I have found that basically most runs with a couple of switch backs on the piste map are road runs, but never graded based on drops off the side! The Chavannes area above Les Gets is perfect for mixed groups as its a bowl returning all runs to the lifts.

ANOTHER option could be Montriond. I think there are quite a few larger chalets there that might do catered options, is a little cheaper being out of Morzine town, is very pretty, and only a 5 minute run to the Ardent lift, which serves a really great bowl of runs, and gives options to get into Avoriaz and Morzine quickly if you end up racking more miles than before.

Sorry I can only advise on the PDS area, as my other experiences are Kitzbuhel which I would recommend for your group, and Whistler, which would no doubt kill your budget with the flights.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
dennisp, grrrr. I was only jesting
latest report
under a new name wrote:
dennisp, grrrr. I was only jesting

That's OK wink Funny thing is, everyone does really enjoy skiing ... just under the right circumstances. I'm sure it must be hard to understand if skiing is about the thrill or the challenge for you! I thought Cervinia looked promising too.

Thanks dennisp,that's very useful info for LG and I'll look at Montriond too.

It's a bit difficult to explain the dynamics of the group - we all get on really well when together, but most of us are not really 'friends' in the normal sense. This makes things like sharing bedrooms or bathrooms and organising catering etc difficult. I appreciate it limits our options a lot (particularly with the type of skiing we're after), hence the reason I'm asking the experts for advice Very Happy Do please keep it coming. Very Happy
latest report
HelenS wrote:
What’s S10BB? I assume it’s one of the group holidays organised on SH? They did look great last year – I was very tempted!

S10BB :: snowHeads 10th Birthday Bash, 1st ~ 8th Feb - Arabba
It would save all the hassle of collecting money etc. There is plenty of easy cruising around & great lunches to be had at reasonable price.
snow conditions
Quote:

I forgot to mention though that we don’t want to self-cater, so that probably rules the budget options out.

Not at all. If you wanted the whole group to come to les Saisies - which really would be perfect for your group - you could stay in apartments and go to a different restaurant every night. There are also some places with apartments giving you an option for half board. this is one http://www.lessaisies.com/fiche-presentation_hotel-2401-FR-H-sitraHOT850130-ETE-HEBERGEMENTS.html.

That one is central. this one isn't http://www.lemeteor.com/ but is probably cheaper.

There are various options - if you want to explore them further you could talk to the Tourist Office which is very good - though their English isn't exactly fluent, IME. Generally it's no better than my French, which is not saying much.

There is also a gorgeous gite just near me. http://www.gites-de-france.com/location-vacances-Villard-sur-Doron-Gite-LE-GITE-DE-BISANNE-73G317117.html#suivant

That's entirely self catering but there's a very good restaurant just next door, where you could probably get quite good deal for a group if you wanted to eat there each evening. I know the proprietors there (very nice family, who just started up there last winter, and are working very hard to make a go of it).

I also know the proprietors of the gite, which is very nicely appointed, though there is one room with four single beds - so it would only sleep 12 if they were all couples.

Your friends who have skied the area would probably know where the gite is - on the Planay, nice easy long blue run, just above the Rosieres chair lift. But Bisanne 1500 is a very quiet area. There's another restaurant and a tea room down by the chair lift, but a hive of nightly activity it is not.
snow conditions
Alpe D'Huez ticks several of your boxes very well, I have done ADH as a boys group on a couple of occasions. There are loads of blues and greens. There are several good mountain hut restaurants to meet up at. If you have anyone that wants to be challenged on or off piste there is plenty for them. Night life is not epic but plenty of half decent bars. The only possible drawback is how snowsure it is in March, I have been in January and February which has always been fine. I don't know your budget but there are quite a few catered chalets that should not break the bank.
ski holidays
Quote:

The only possible drawback is how snowsure it is in March

Most places should be absolutely fine in March. I don't know ADH but somebody reporting on here said, IIRC, that there was a fairly stiff step up from the greens to the rest of the mountain.
ski holidays
Lechbob wrote:
HelenS wrote:
What’s S10BB? I assume it’s one of the group holidays organised on SH? They did look great last year – I was very tempted!

S10BB :: snowHeads 10th Birthday Bash, 1st ~ 8th Feb - Arabba
It would save all the hassle of collecting money etc. There is plenty of easy cruising around & great lunches to be had at reasonable price.

Not a good idea for 'timid/apprehensive bluers' - go one way (as if you're going orange) and the first pitch down from the bubble or cable car get's cut up quite quickly and can be sporting. Going the other way, you can only get home on reds, which also will get chopped towards the end of the day in March.

However I would have though San Cassiano in the dolomites, or La Villa (if you're prepared to download on the cable car) would tick most boxes - especially in terms of 'nice blues' - lots of these around...
snow report
Helens
I noticed you also mentioned Val Cenis above. We had a lovely week there at Easter this year but I don't think it would be the best option for your group...Montgenevre or Les Saisies would be better.

The green in Val Cenis is mainly a road. There are a couple of other green beginner slopes. Most of the other slopes are best suited to confident intermediates...need to be unphased by reds or the odd steeper section of a blue. There are amazing views at the top and pretty tree lined runs but it isn't that cruisy.
latest report
I am not that keen on Les Gets, but St Gervais offers most all of what you want. Les Saisies is fine too.
snow report
HelenS, you mentioned that your friends who visited Les Saisies were pleased with their instructor/guide. Some of your very nervous people, who won't venture off blues, might benefit from something similar. Out of peak season private lessons are pretty cheap in Les Saisies, and instructors are also happy to act as guides to the area (though that's a bit of a waste of an instructor, in my book). Timid skiers would only need the local pass, not the Espace diamant pass, which saves a few bob, though without tackling more than blues they could also now go to Crest Voland, which has a lot of very gentle skiing. A new blue run in Les Saisies, opened last year, will link in with a new chairlift which is replacing two drag lifts, one of them a bit steep with a slightly alarming "drop" on one side. My brother in law suffers a bit from vertigo and hated that lift - but he loves Crest Voland and will be delighted there is now a chairlift. I stomped around the rather sad looking site today - building new lifts, which invariably involves chopping down some trees, always creates a mess.

Wherever you go in this area there is an "easy way down". I have spent a lot of time with very new and/or timid skiers in this area and I can't think of anywhere where you get off a lift and are faced with only a difficult option.
latest report
Hey hElens I would echo what pam w says that les saisies sounds like an ideal option but you say that the people in your group might not want to do two holidays that year to the same place. How about valmorel? It is dominated by blues and greens and is ideal for to,I'd and nervouse skiers.. It is a great place for cruising. We went with crystal and didn't have the best time with them but have subsequently went on another ski holiday with them and it was a totally different experience.
ski holidays
Insiders, the paradiski is not one resort it is 2 linked by a glass handbag wink

Andy
snow report
I echo Alpe d'Huez, I went there as a 2nd week skier and loved it. Loads of long green runs to resort level and different areas to explore. It's easy to avoid the tough bits, many of which are off the Pic Blanc as I recall.

Or how about La Tania?
snow conditions
Wow, so much help - thank you Very Happy

Unfortunately Les Saisies looks like it's out of the running as some of our group will be there earlier in the year - "I can't think of anywhere where you get off a lift and are faced with only a difficult option" sounded very promising!. Sounds like a good idea for my family in future though, so thanks for all the info pam_w. Think we'd better forget S10BB too. wink We've also ruled out apartments/self-catering for definite, unless it was an arrangement like Pam suggested where we would eat every night at the restaurant next door - with our particular group choosing a restaurant every night would be difficult! So we're looking at catered chalets, hotels or B&Bs that offer half board. The only other option I guess would be taking an ex-chalet host with us wink

Thanks for the clarification on Val Cenis snowymum - on paper it looked very suitable, so that was very helpful.

ADH (thanks DavidYacht and Honeybunny) sounds as if it's worth checking out, unless pam_w's recollections are correct - obviously we are hoping to progress wink We will definitely organise something in terms of lessons/guiding as we're obviously not a group that can afford to take chances after just eyeing up a piste map!

Cervina reviews talk about issues with wind/bad weather - any thoughts anyone please? Wondered whether this was likely to be an issue in March?

San Cassiano (thanks bertie bassett )looks interesting too, but haven't seen much reasonably priced accommodation. Haven't got around to La Villa yet (this is very time consuming!!!) or Montgenevre (which has come up from several sources). Will add La Tania, St Gervais and Valmorel to the list too (thanks Honeybunny, polo99 and beequin)

Someone else in the group has also been looking and thrown a few more names into the pot (which I haven't looked at yet) - any views on Obergurgl, Courcheval, Pila or Valloire?

We've also had a recommendation for a chalet Bon Soin in Plagne Villages with Silverski, but I've seen some very mixed reviews on the company especially from recent years. I feel a huge sense of responsibility to get this right so I'm very wary of anything with many negative reviews (you always get some people who moan regardless so the odd one doesn't worry me!). La Plagne doesn't really look like my cup of tea for a personal holiday (I'm more an established village sort) but could be fine for the group.

Thanks again everyone, much appreciated.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

unless pam_w's recollections are correct

somewhere in the last couple of days somebody complained about faster skiers whipping down those green runs - I think it was shimmy alcott who has been there recently. I'm sure she'd be happy to answer any queries about ADH.
snow conditions
Les Menuire, there are great chalets close to the ski lifts with brilliant green and blue runs that would be just great for you to have a brilliant time. Julie
ski holidays
pam w, yes it was me. The runs from higher up all feed back into resort through the greens and Im afraid many dont adjust their speed accordingly. Those runs are also very busy, so although they are green they can be bl00dy terrifying Laughing

Sorry not read all the thread but La Plagne is brilliant for long cruisey blues
latest report
I would have a look at Morzine - skiing around the PdS is great and so varied! Skiology has a chalet called Chalet George really near the lifts and they are a fantastic company! Have a look on www.skiology.co.uk.

La Plagne is also a good choice I reckon - plenty of lovely blue runs and many TOs operate there.

Courchevel is not a bad choice either, probably 1650 would suit you best - nice wide runs back to the bottom. La Tania is good as well but the tree runs can get pretty icy and hard packed sometimes. It depends on where you find accommodation in Courchevel, some are a bit of a track from the slopes.

I prefer the atmosphere of Morzine personally but everyone to their own! Smile
snow report
Dia_FindTransfers wrote:
I would have a look at Morzine - skiing around the PdS is great and so varied! Skiology has a chalet called Chalet George really near the lifts and they are a fantastic company! Have a look on www.skiology.co.uk.

La Plagne is also a good choice I reckon - plenty of lovely blue runs and many TOs operate there.

Courchevel is not a bad choice either, probably 1650 would suit you best - nice wide runs back to the bottom. La Tania is good as well but the tree runs can get pretty icy and hard packed sometimes. It depends on where you find accommodation in Courchevel, some are a bit of a track from the slopes.

I prefer the atmosphere of Morzine personally but everyone to their own! Smile

The PDS is great, and you can get around the whole area on a huge selection of blue runs - I did it when I was learning... but as I said before, check the whole pds, not just 1 town its something like 12 resorts - You could miss out on something great if you just look in one place
latest report
Would agree with les Gets/Morzine or Montgenevre. A look at Montgenevre may show quite a lot of reds but they are lovely nd wide, have only short steep sections and are great confidence builders. I'm afraid my skiing is more limited by my head than my ability - I really don't like steep but love Montgenevre. Don't think you'd go wrong with any of these. They all have enough to suit the timid and more adventurous
snow conditions
HelenS, it's made my head spin just reading this thread wink If I could summarise...

you need a HB hotel or catered chalet (any preference)?
plenty of cruising terrain
ski in/ski out?
the group is flexible on travel, happy to make their own way? Preferred?

My thinking is you either find a decent hotel with the right skiing on the doorstep, book direct and then tell everyone to sort their own travel OR book a catered chalet through a TO with flights included.

The La Plagne villages would be ideal in terms of the skiing. I don't agree about ADH. The lower slopes would only have that problem lunchtime and hometime if it all. And there a few ski areas totally immune from that issue. Regardless those slopes are very wide. We've skied with young children in both La Plagne and ADH with no issues.
snow report
Sorry I left this thread up in the air, but circumstances changed and as we were no longer able to make the trip someone else took over organising it.
Thanks for all the advice and comments - they really were very helpful - and hopefully some of the information in here will help someone else with their holiday decisions in the future.
The group actually settled on a catered chalet in the Les Eucherts area of Les Rosiere (which wasn't mentioned at all!), but will hopefully be suitable.
Thanks again.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy