Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

St Anton In April

Poster: A snowHead
Hello,

We are about to book a week's skiing with Esprit in mid-April. I've been to St Anton a couple of times before but not that late in the season.

Will there be enough snow for us to enjoy ourselves, I've heard that most of the lower slopes will be patchy at best at that time of year?

Thanks
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
franga, we booked to go with esprit to St Anton for mid April last year, the research I did said it should have been fine (and last year the conditions looked great!) sadly Esprit decided to not go to that resort for that week and moved us. Though I doubt that will happen this season as Mid April is a second week in the school holidays rather than the week after it.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
NB by last I mean 2013 which really this year.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
franga, St.Anton will be fine mid-April, don't worry. The only caveat is that you may not be able to ski to the valley in St.Anton itself, but most years they do manage to keep a valley run open right up to end of season. Up on top you will not have any problems at all.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
NickyJ,

Really? I hope this worked out OK for you? Yes, that week is Easter week and most rooms are booked so hopefully it should be OK, I've just read that the main beginner slopes are up the Nasserein gondola, feeling a bit more relaxed as this will be our 3 year old's first time on skis. The pull of the resort plus the proximity of Lech and Zurs are too hard to resist so I think we'll risk it.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
franga, we made the most of it - we went through their brochure and picked their most expensive offering - got bigger plusher rooms, more facilities and so on. Still we were disappointed we went to St Anton in Dec 2000 IIRC and had a fantastic time loved the area and were really looking forward to going back.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
NickyJ wrote:
franga, we booked to go with esprit to St Anton for mid April last year, the research I did said it should have been fine (and last year the conditions looked great!) sadly Esprit decided to not go to that resort for that week and moved us.

I was out in the Arlberg/Lech/St Anton from 12th to 18th April this year. Great snow, empty slopes, no queues.

I think a number of TO's pulled their Austrian end of season programme due to flight schedules. And end of season in St Anton has been pretty decent for the past few years, apart from valley runs into resort snow conditions tend to remain good.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I was there mid march this year.

Most of st antons slopes face south. Everywhere is pretty slushy in afternoon to be fair.

Of course you could be lucky but I wouldn't go to st anton in april to be honest. That is time of year to go to very high / glacier resort
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Mid April is the outer edge for St Anton. By that I mean it will be spring snow, the final runs into town are quite likely to be kept up with artificial snow, there will probably be plenty of snow up high and a great party atmosphere on the terraces. I certainly would not discount it.

I suspect peanuthead's comments relate more to the vagueries of skiing anywhere in Spring rather than St Anton specifically.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
peanuthead, the whole of Austria ( and France ) is slushy at that time of year. Even the glaciers get that way in the afternoon. That's just the way spring skiing is.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Steilhang, I think his name sums up his intelligence judging by most of his posts. Either he is a piss-taker or it is real (a genuine peanut-sized brain!) Laughing
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Booked - thanks for the input.

I now need to force myself not to get too stressed with forecasts etc by avoiding this forum and the 2013/14 weather forecast thread in particular ...never going to happen ...
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
franga, LOL - yep never going to happen Happy I hope you have a great time, we are booked for that same week but going to Les Deux Alpes with Mark Warner (first holiday with them - last two holidays were with Esprit), however right now rather than stressing about the snow, I am stressing about whether I will be able to ski as I have managed to have badly hurt my knee.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Samerberg Sue, we know you would argue vehemently for anywhere in Austria in july
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
One of st antons problems is its largely south -facing aspects for large parts of it, not just elevation. I know everywhere slushy in april but higher and north facing slopes will maintain condition for longer.

There is always risk of disastrous warm up which will be less disastrous somewhere where you can see above 2000 to 2500m.
snow report
peanuthead, again, how little you know! rolling eyes
ski holidays
peanuthead, I take it you've skied St Anton late April recently? In your opinion, what's it like? wink
snow report
franga, you'll be fine, was skiing St anton 27th April last season and it was brilliant!
snow conditions
Mid-April... Gonna be great spring snow and slushy bumps (that's a good thing!). Main runs into the village should still be open, but patchy/ribbon of snow through a field sort of thing. High up should be no problem at all. Apres beer on a terrace up the hill in a tshirt.
snow conditions
clarky999,

My idea of heaven - especially if you are referring to the KK or the Mooserwirt.
snow conditions
clarky999, yup, slushy bumps are great! A morning chasing the firn followed by slushy bumps followed by Weissbier & Wienerschnitzel on the terrace... Perfection.
snow report
Or get to Stuben early, play on the front face 3/4 runs, quick dash to Zurs and up Trittkopf a few times, then over to Madlochjoch and down to Zug. Bus it back to Alpe Rauz, up to Galzig and a sprint down to the Hospitz Alm for a rack of ribs slashed down with a few beers. "Slush"?? What slush? Toofy Grin
ski holidays
skimastaaah, also an option. Sound plan.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy