Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Snow boots

Poster: A snowHead
Should this be in Apres Ski? Puzzled

I guess not really - anyway on to the question of what kind of footwear do you all tend to wear when you're not hurtling down the slopes - I've had a look on Snow and Rock and there's some relatively nice looking North Face snow boots - are these necessary and have you any recommendations?

Look forward to your replies!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I have a pair of Salomon hiking boots that I use.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Goretex hiking boots with a deep tread, or hiking shoes, for late season.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Berghaus fabric Goretex walking boots.

Bonus is, you can wear them at home without looking stupid as well!
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Well fitting, waterproof walking boots are best. Change the density or type of sock to improve fit and insulative qualities all-round. Twisted Evil
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Any soft soled shoe will do until it snows or there is ice on the ground, which, of course, is likely.

A waterproof hiking type boot which comes beyond the ankle is ok as long as the sole is anti-slip.

I take a comfort shoe and a waterproof boot. More importantly what are you going to wear around the Chalet/hotel/appartment?
Flip flops type sandals are popular indoors.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
JT wrote:
Any soft soled shoe will do until it snows or there is ice on the ground, which, of course, is likely.

A waterproof hiking type boot which comes beyond the ankle is ok as long as the sole is anti-slip.

I take a comfort shoe and a waterproof boot. More importantly what are you going to wear around the Chalet/hotel/appartment?
Flip flops type sandals are popular indoors.

What do you understand as anti-slip? Crampons, needles. What composite of rubber are you recommending? Also, at what temperature would our, standard Vibram sole unit, not grip?Twisted Evil
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
well I never fell over in my walking boots - and they're a lot more "grippy" than the bottom of my ski boots are, thats for sure!!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
SMALLZOOKEEPER,

Any sole that you know isn't inherently slippy. I have a pair of soft shoes which are lethal on boat decks, for example, so I wouldn't use them.
I'm not advocating the user buy any new boots just know what works with what he may have in his cupboards.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
IanB, Exactly what I have and what I was probably going to take, (berghaus gtx) - interesting to note no ones really mentioned specific snow boots as such, more just general winter walking stuff like we use here in winter

Only problem with mine, IanB, is that they've notched up way too many miles and look somewhat worse for wear (still waterproof but a bit tramp like!). Kind of saw to them in August when I walked a big chunk of the North Downs Way over 5 days....
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Sorry, J.T.
My point was that all hiking boots are"Anti-Slip". Didn't want the original poster walking into a outdoor store asking for anti-slip boots. Deep, soft cleets is what you need, however i've got them and broke my wrist in 'em last winter. Truth is at, minus 30 with snow melt on the streets, you might as well wear greaseproof paper. Golf shoes are the only way to make sure, plus someone will buy you a beer. Just out of sympathy! Twisted Evil
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
SMALLZOOKEEPER,

Laughing
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
eddyr, no ones probably mentioned snow boots.. mainly because.. well.. they look s**t. Wink

My Berghaus were going around snowdon for a week in October, and they'll go out with me skiing. Way I see it, is that your far better off buying a pair of walking boots that you can use when your home walking (even if you don't normally walk - it's good excercise which will help your skiing!) rather than buy a pair of snow boots which.. well.. like I said Wink
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Yep ok I'm convinced now Laughing

May look at those new walking boots I was putting off till next week after all!!! Razz
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I've got a great pair of Columbias which last me a good 2 seasons solid wear which you can use in the summer - would really recommend having a look at Columbia.
snow report
Boots with hard chunky soles like walking boots aren't especially good on hard packed snow and ice. Shoes with a finer tread are far better.

My brother forgot his proper shoes one year and was stuck with a pair of deck shoes he'd meant just for the flight, the resort was pretty icy and he was the only one not sliding all over the place but he did admit they weren't the toastiest of footwear.

Lets face it if you're in a resort you're unlikely to be wading through deep snow but we live in hope, mostly its all ice and compacted snow. So just about any sensible footware will work OK, from trainers to walking boots as long as you can get a decent pair of socks in them to ward off the frostbite between the bars Very Happy
snow report
I always wear approach shoe/outdoor trainers. Apart from deep snow which may get your ankles slightly wet they perform well enough outdoors and also are better for indoor bar/nightclub/restaurant/hotel wear than boots.
ski holidays
I wear Zomberlan goretex boots. They do a good job for grip, comfort and dryness.
snow report
I use Timberland boots. Practical, but look good for apres ski too.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy