Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Cartilege Rehab?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I hope you guys can give me a bit of advice.
I had an ACL reconstruction done in 2009, now after seeing the consultant due to pains in the knee, he suggests I may need the cartilage taken out. I am getting a scan soon, but I suspect he is right, and it will need removed.
Does anyone know the realistic time frame for rehab for a cartilage op?
I will be skiing in the 2nd week of January.
Cheers, Gandie
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I fairly sure that they do everything possible to retain as much of the meniscus as possible these days. The other type of cartilege is the articular stuff (like the white gristle over chicken leg bones) and they everything possible to keep that as well. If they are telling you they are going to take it out (meniscus or articular cartilege), I definitely ask for a second opinion! Have you understood them correctl?

I had a meniscus trim in February 2004 and was skiing 3 weeks later in March if that helps. Toofy Grin Repairs take a wee bit longer as you often spend some time non-weight bearing. However the actual time taken to heal depends on where exactly the repair is and how big it is as well how well your body heals itself. A proverbial, "how long is a piece of string" question! Little Angel
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks, Samerberg Sue, the consultant said that as he had to trim it during my original op, it would depend on the blood supply that is getting through to it, that would determine what he had to trim or remove.
I will know more after the scan has been interpreted.
Skiing is approx 20 weeks away, I just need some reassurance that I will be ok, I don't want to loose another season!
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
gandie, still don't think he will remove the whole lot! Probably just the degree to which he has to trim it is determined by where exactly the tear is and how extensive it is. Taking it out completely leaves you bone-on-bone and on the fast track to more problems! They can actually shave misicule amounts off and leave quite a lot of the meniscus intact these days.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
gandie,

I am having my left knee cartilage trimmed and the floaty bits in knee joint removed this Friday as a day patient. I am planning on skiing in October and hopefully playing golf a week on saturday rolling eyes

When I had the same knee done some 25 years ago I was in hospital for a week, on crutches for 4 weeks and it took me months to get back to some sort of fitness. How things change Laughing
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
gandie, If trimming as Samerberg Sue says, depending on how much is removed I should think you will be easily skiing in Jan. Depending when its done.

I skied with a bucket handle tear, 5 weeks after tearing it, came back and had the op to trim and clear out, plus metalwork removed. Non weight bearing for three weeks then I was back in the gym. 5-6 weeks later carrying on as normal. Best thing you can do before the op is strengthen the leg muscles and keep at it - the stronger they are before the op the quicker the recovery Madeye-Smiley

Good luck hope it goes well.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks guys, that makes me feel better, I'll find out more on Monday.

stewart woodward, good luck on Friday.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I had my knee opp yesterday when they trimmed the torn cartlidge and cleaned out the floaty bits which were jamming the joint.

I was a day patient and had to be at the hospital for 07.30 for more form filling, a check over by the nurse and a meeting with the 'gas' man. I was the last on the days surgery list at 15.30 and so had plenty of time to kill and a days fasting(not that hard). Everything went well and I was discharged at 20.30, after a bowl of hospital soup and a very welcome cup of tea. The hospital has loaded me up with enough pain killers to keep me going for 14 days rolling eyes

This morning everything feels fine and I can walk much easier than yesterday Very Happy Just need to spend a couple of days rest on the sofa watching the cricket and getting Mrs W to make me plenty of cups of tea and I will back to normal Confused

I managed to bring forward my various appointments by ringing the appointments office and telling them I would take any cancellations they had so I could move up the list. They were very helpful and I have had my operation 2 weeks before I should have had my MRI scan (The NHS is not all bad)

I think I just need to publicly thank all the people at Doncaster Royal Infirmary.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy