Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Train Travel in France with reduced mobility.

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I have been looking at 'access plus' with SNCF to possibly book help for my elderly Aunt with reduced mobility when we head out to the Alps just before Christmas. We would use the train to get from the airport to Bourg St Maurice. Having done the journey last year (staff gave ad hoc help) and taking into account my Aunts worsened ability to walk I would like to book some formal assistance this year.

Rail Europe are completely useless at explaining how it works, don`t offer the service and actually gave me incorrect information in the first instance. I have phoned SNCF and got as far as their English speaking line but just get the message that all operators are busy and to call again. Not a cheap exercise!

The website information is all in French. Fair enough, and I can roughly understand it and work out what to do. The problem is the eligibility criteria;

"Vous êtes titulaire d’une carte d’invalidité civile, de priorité ou de stationnement." http://www.accessibilite.sncf.com/gares-et-services/services-adaptes/

Does this equate to our blue badge? If so she will be eligible and I hope I can arrange for a wheelchair to take her between trains.

If any one can answer that question, or has any experience of using the service they could share, I would really appreciate it
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
CaravanSkier, my understanding is that the blue badge scheme is fairly EU wide (just from some cursory research for my father earlier in the year. And should therefore qualify as "c.p. de stationement"
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
under a new name, Yes the blue badge scheme works in France for parking, I used a space in La Rosiere last year and a passing policeman just checked in a very friendly way that we had the badge. What I am unsure of is what the French actually call the badge/scheme, your post clarifies that somewhat. Thank you.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
In case anyone should be interested, the blue badge has been accepted by Access Plus and assistance has been booked. On the online booking form for the eligibility criteria you click 'carte d'invalidite europeanne' , and you give the badge number and expiry date. I will report back how it goes.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
On the morning of our departure from Lyon Part Dieu we checked in (need to be 30 mins early and I presented the confirmation email I had recieved with our reference number) at the access plus point, from whence (after a short wait for our platform to be announced) a very nice young man took my Aunt in a wheelchair, via the machine to validate the ticket, up a lift and to the train. Helped her up the train stairs and to her seat. He even took my small case off me and on to the train. The journey, just over 3 hours was pleasant and as it was over lunchtime I had bought a picnic lunch in the Carrefour, near Lyon station to eat en route. There is no buffet car on that train. Our train,TER, did not have seat reservations and from snippets of conversation I overheard I assume Lyon access plus notified Bourg St Maurice of our seat numbers as a wheelchair was waiting for us at the carriage door and took us to the car.

The journey through Lyon airport the evening before was not quite so straightforward as the wheelchair assistance left us at the baggage hall when we needed to be taken to the tram station. As that was too long to walk for my Aunt I had to get them back which delayed us somewhat. However the half hour tram ride went smoothly and our hotel next to the station worked well.

Some French railway stations offer a service where they will collect you from your hotel/home and take you to the station but Lyon does not.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy