Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Central Theme, Angulation - I'm a bit confused

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I've decided to take the plunge and signed up to do my BASI L1 in a couple of weeks (yikes).

In my gate training I've been taught and subsequently engrained hip angulation to ensure weighting of the outside / downhill ski. I was also interested to watch this video in an earlier thread re the quality of the snowploughs:

http://youtube.com/v/Z8YYEJG5Fag

That all seems fine, except I did an instructor development session last night at Castleford where we went through the Central Theme. When we were each giving snow plough turn demonstrations I was doing my best replication of the above (presumably Austrian) demonstration in the above video and the feedback I received was to keep my head and upper body still laterally (ie not angulating to pressure the outside ski) and on reflection I'm left feeling a bit confused.

Is angulation to weight the outside ski not encouraged in the BASI Central Theme until later? If so, when? In which case presumably the technique demonstrated in the above isn't a model to copy.

Thoughts and observations very welcome.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
That's the issue with watching other nations. don't do it so close to your L1 , you'll confuse yourself!! That was also uploaded in 2009 it seems.

BASI "demo mode" snow plough is (as you say) head and upper body still laterally (and horizontally!!)

Imagine a 40 year old unfit person attending their very first class, angulation etc is going to confuse the heck out of them, remember the KISS principle! Skiing gates is altogether very different to teaching first day beginners!

Here's me snowploughing in lovely fresh snow!! ploughs probably a touch too wide but it was steep at the top, but it should give you something to visualise...(as I can't find any central theme stuff on the BASI Youtube site).....

http://youtube.com/v/KcUuSuxUGcI
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:
Is angulation to weight the outside ski not encouraged in the BASI Central Theme until later?

Correct - remember you are teaching complete beginners!
Keep it simple. Technical concepts like angulation will just confuse learners.

Central Theme starts with a very basic snow plough - Then builds it all up from there.
FWIW Central Theme isnt just a BASI system (many other nations use it or something very similiar).
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Without seeing you....difficult to say, but (based on my last refresher) BASI now want us only to make movements required to stay in balance. If you are not generating much pressure on the outside ski - you won't need to angulate.

Angulation is used to stay in balance over the outside ski, this has the result of putting 'weight' on the ski -- but this is not the same as applying pressure to the ski to make it turn............
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Angulation allows you to create larger edge angles while balancing your centre of mass over your outside ski. ("Balancing over your outside ski" means that your weight plus the cetrifugal force is a vector pointing from your centre of mass towards your outside ski.)

If you are snow-ploughing then you don't want to have big edge angles, and you aren't trying to balance over your outside ski.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks for the clarification all, makes perfect sense.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Can't agree with this Subito. Inclination allows you to create the angles, angulation allows you to maintain balance (against your outside ski) while making these angles. You can create inclination without angulation and create angles to the point where you fall over. To my eye the first video is a somewhat stylised approach and as much to do with national recognition than funtional skiing.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:
You can create inclination without angulation and create angles to the point where you fall over.

I don't see how this contradicts what I said. The point is that for a fixed speed the amount of edge angle you can get without falling further into the turn is limited if you use pure inclination. Falling over is painful, and best avoided in my opinion.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
That video is apparently showing the progression from plough to plough parralel, which requires 'SUPPORT ON THE OUTSIDE SKI'. Sorry for the shout there, but I have to recite that every time the question comes up. For that support, there needs to be good edging and all the other stuff. The following guy in the video remonds me of the way I was taught to plough turn on day one, lean left to go right and vice versa, took flipping years to get that out of my system !

I believe I am correct in thinking that BASI prefer plough turning to be taught starting with rotation of the feet, which doesn't require a positive edging action; in fact this will hinder rotation. As the skiers gain confidence, experience and speed, edging and support become more of a feature of the plough turn until the skiers achieve "SUPPORT ON THE OUTSIDE SKI".

For the early stages, it's less frightening for skiers to stay upright and learn to steer by pointing their feet where they intend to go.

I did have three teenage students in my first class who went from zero, through rotational plough turning to parallel swing turns in two hours with no input from me other than moving markers closer together. I thought I was brilliant at teaching. It hasn't happened since and I figure they were brilliant at learning.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
subito, Just making the point that it's inclination not angulation that creates the angle. Maybe I've misunderstood your point.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
thirty06 wrote:
I believe I am correct in thinking that BASI prefer plough turning to be taught starting with rotation of the feet, which doesn't require a positive edging action; in fact this will hinder rotation.
Yes, that's right. So angulation (such as using arms in an exaggerated "swooping airplane" position) actually hinders progress.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I'm clear that BASI aren't wanting the angulation in the plough, however I'm thinking it should be possible to angulate rob@rar without aeroplane arms, no?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
abd wrote:
I'm clear that BASI aren't wanting the angulation in the plough, however I'm thinking it should be possible to angulate rob@rar without aeroplane arms, no?
Yes, of course. The airplane arms is something that you often see early stage snowploughers being asked to do, and I think it encourages excessive angulation and too much edge angle for plough turns. I would much rather see a natural stance at that stage, with the focus on steering the skis smoothly around the turn rather than an artificial body position.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
rob@rar wrote:
abd wrote:
Yes, of course. The airplane arms is something that you often see early stage snowploughers being asked to do, and I think it encourages excessive angulation and too much edge angle for plough turns. I would much rather see a natural stance at that stage, with the focus on steering the skis smoothly around the turn rather than an artificial body position.

Agreed. steer the skis.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Nothing to add but, Very Interesting
Smile

Actually I'm a bit gutted.. Sad ..I was looking forward to playing Battle of Britain with Happychap Laughing
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy