Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

solo traveller

Poster: A snowHead
I went to Bansko in Jan/Feb for my first snowboarding holiday with some people from work and I really enjoyed it. When i got back I was trying to talk some of my friends into taking skiing/snowboarding lessons just so they might want to go away later in the year... it didn't work Sad

This winter it seems more than likely that I will be solo since the people I went away with last time can’t get away.

I have been looking around and I guess my options are to either book everything solo, or go through a company like pistepals or action-outdoors, or try to find a group that needs a spot filling.

For people that have been in my position, what did you do and would you recommend doing the same?

Thanks
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
A snowheads bash Smile

There aren't any quite ready for booking yet this year, but if you look in the snow events part of the forum you'll see loads of details on previous ones, and where and when this years will be.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
SoSnow, congrats you are going solo. After first time I skied it was 4 years before I went again because I was waiting for other people to be available to come with me. Then another 4 years. Then another 4, then another 3.you get picture. Now, I go 3 times py to make up for lost time (!) Imagine how decent I'd be now if I had gone every year since I was 20. And irony now is I am trying to negotiate going on my own because I want to do all-day off-piste courses (OH gets touchy if she doesn't see me all day).

So whatever you do make sure you go
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
SoSnow, welcome to Snowheads. snowHead Your idea of Action outdoors is excellent, so is the suggestion of a Snowheads Bash. Action Outdoors on your own means either sharing a dorm room or paying extra for a double room (in those centres which have them). Another suggestion is a week's coaching course with one of the companies like Inspired to Ski. Or all three, possibly. Little Angel
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
SoSnow, I have been by myself many times and met some great people to ski with in the process. The major TOs usually organise ski guiding to show you the area (although not in France any more). Just be careful with some 'solo' skiing holidays, I very nearly booked one of these until I read a few online reviews and realised it was a type of 'singles' holiday. Also some TOs who claim to cater for singles like to lump the 'unfortunates' into shared rooms with complete strangers, which might be your sort of thing but it definitely isn't mine. Good luck!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
SoSnow, Welcome to snowHeads... And your new addiction Toofy Grin

I was in the same position as you when I started too. I did a few TO holidays and just booked as a single (paying the single occupancy supplement, which is a pain and can add quite a bit) and I had a ball. Was lucky to end up in chalets (would recommend choosing chalets rather than hotels as its a bit more social if you're solo) with lovely people who always offered to include me in their activities, ski with me etc. I could choose to join them or not, as my mood took me. Many have remained friends long after the holiday ended.

However, I then plucked up the courage to join a sHs bash, as mentioned above, which takes friendliness and fun to a whole new level. Laughing Suffice to say, I have never been back on a solo chalet holiday and have attended gawd knows how many bashes... I just wish I had more money/time off so I could do them all... Although its probably a good idea to give snowHeads a break from me every now and then... wink Toofy Grin Can't recommend it highly enough for someone in your position... Or even someone who's not.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Oh, and don't let my username colour my advice.... It's something of a p!ss take at my expense... rolling eyes Although you'd be well advised to bring a healthy sense of humour with you to a bash... Having your name changed on one is not exactly unheard of.... Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
sHAG in Boots wrote:
... I just wish I had more money/time off so I could do them all...

When I read that I thought to myself " Have some pity on us other Snowheads wink "
But then I read on and saw that you were thinking along the same lines
sHAG in Boots wrote:
Although its probably a good idea to give snowHeads a break from me every now and then... wink Toofy Grin

Seriously though, your presence at any SHs Bash is something to be devoutly wished for... Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Amen - devoutly.... Toofy Grin
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
SoSnow, welcome to snowHeads snowHead

I'd echo the bash recommendations, having been a single on one and a half of them (approximately).
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
SoSnow wrote:
I went to Bansko in Jan/Feb for my first snowboarding holiday with some people from work and I really enjoyed it. When i got back I was trying to talk some of my friends into taking skiing/snowboarding lessons just so they might want to go away later in the year... it didn't work Sad

This winter it seems more than likely that I will be solo since the people I went away with last time can’t get away.

I have been looking around and I guess my options are to either book everything solo, or go through a company like pistepals or action-outdoors, or try to find a group that needs a spot filling.

For people that have been in my position, what did you do and would you recommend doing the same?

Thanks

I went with Action Outdoors to a UCPA when I had a random week off a couple of Decembers ago, and no-one could go with me. Had a great time, cheap as chips for what you get (especialy worth it for the tuition)
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I go solo, though usually for just a couple of days. I book flights, transfers/trains/hire cars and hotels myself, which usually leads to it being a *lot* cheaper than trying to go solo with a TO.

The best way to do that is to pick a resort you really want to go to and work from there. I like Switzerland because quite a few hills are accessible purely by train eg Wengen/Grindelwald/Murren. The train journey from ZRH is a bit hectic, but if you pick the route over the mountains instead of via Bern the scenery is well worth the effort. And booking the supersaver ticket in advance makes it really cheap too. The south end of the Alpes Maritimes is good too, because it's a 90 minute car journey to Nice and you can stay by the beach Smile

I find that going for a few days instead of a week means I don't get bored or lonely, and it saves the holiday allowance for more holidays! Including trips on air miles tickets I managed 3 trips to 2 different hills in February and March this year on 4 days leave Wink
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
call me dave, SoSnow, Just two words 'Snowheads Bashes'. They are really good value too, you will never want another solo holiday that isn't part of a Bash. Check out the Snow Events forum http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewforum.php?f=31 and read some of the stickies and announcements at the very top.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
SoSnow, Welcome to snowHeads snowHead

I go skiing solo nowadays and would definitely recommend the snowHeads bashes.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Hi SoSnow, I'd recommend the SH bash as well. I've done a couple of off piste UCPA weeks as well. One was full of Suedes and the other of French (being one myself I don't mind) but both times there were a fair few english speaking people and that was in Chamonix and Flaine. I've done a couple of Snoworks holiday as well and they were good too. I find going for courses is great as you automatically meet people of your ski level. Whatever you do you'll have fun. Skiers and snowboarders are friendly no matter where you go and everyone talks of snow in the evening so it's easy to join conversations.
latest report
Thanks for all the responses. It sounds like the SH Bashes are definitely something to consider.

I think my main concern with going solo was finding my way around the mountain. I have looked at some resorts that seem to span across different countries and had it in my head I would end up going down the wrong side of the mountain at the end of the day and be stuck there until the morning!!! hehe Blush
snow report
sHAG in Boots,
Quote:

don't let my username colour my advice
Why ever not? wink
Alastair Pink,
Quote:

your presence at any SHs Bash is something to be devoutly wished for...
Agreed. Even better if the Pulling Pad is also up for grabs. wink
x
ski holidays
SoSnow, welcome to snowHeads aka The Madhouse, by the way. Very Happy
ski holidays
fabricem,
Quote:

I find going for courses is great as you automatically meet people of your ski level.
+ 1
latest report
SoSnow,
Quote:

I would end up going down the wrong side of the mountain at the end of the day and be stuck there until the morning!!! hehe

A big risk for me too! I have identified some excellent guides on sH bashes, though, the pick of the bunch being Thumbstruck, who is a human sat nav device. Toofy Grin
latest report
Pedantica, Laughing Laughing Laughing x
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy