Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Goggles, first boots and maybe more....

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,

I'm new here, so please excuse me if I violate any forum etiquette.... I'm off skiing at La Rosiere over the new year with a group of friends. They're all more experienced than I am and so they have their own gear. I'm trying to accumulate some. Much of my gear is ten years old and I currently rent skis and boots. I happily ski the black runs at La Rosiere, I'm almost always on-piste (due to a lack of skill and a surfeit of fear) and I like to ski a little faster than my skill level should permit...!

Goggles:
I'd like to ski in sunglasses unless there's very flat light, in which case my goggles are pretty good. Any recommendation on make/model of some decent sunglasses. I'm not filthy rich, so something between £45-£100 would be my range.

Boots: I'd love some boots, but we go skiing once a year for about a week. Is it worth it? I've never had a problem with rental boots, but would having my own boots cnage my world? Are there decent entry-level boots? Decathlon's boots sound great for a good price but is it a false economy?

Skis: In an ideal world I'd get a nice big paycheque in October and buy some lovely skis. Worth the investment? Again, one week a year....
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Boots - most definitely worth it. Try and get a recommendation for a good boot fitter though. Ski's I can never justify it not with the cost of ski carriage and service costs vs how cheaply you can hire for.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks Nicky - I need to figure out what to get so I'll look for a boot fitter. My buddies all got fitted properly so I'll find out where.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Sunnies? If you must, just make sure they have good UV protection. As for boots and skis? New kit draw is always tempting, but personally i'd probably recommend putting the money towards some professional instruction for your next trip or two, and getting good boots properly fitted as NickyJ suggests further down the line.
Willkommen and bien venue BTW.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Ah, now I'm doubting the sunnies.....! I normally have lessons on each trip in the mornings for at least a few days. Had some great lessons in Les Arcs years ago - really made a difference. Always tempting not to, as it's so much fun skiing with my mates (there's 10 of us going) but you're right of course. Boots are looking more and more tempting.

Thanks for the advice - if you'd perhaps expand a little on why sunglasses might not be a winner (unless it's the obvious - wind/cold) that'd be brilliant. No worries if too busy.

Ta,
Steve
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Well, they don't work for me, my eyes stream mercilessly. Goggles do give you more surround coverage too so there is less light leaking in. It's a personal preference thing tbh, so go with your gut feeling, but do make sure that your sunglasses offer 100% UV, reasonably free of scratches, and knock back at least 85% of light. But if you're going to wear a helmet, then wear goggles not sunglasses, they fit better (no gaps at the top, please) and you won't be laughed at either.

As I'm not a skier, i'm not going to offer advice beyond 'listen to what the others say' and 'a good bootfitter is a rare and wonderous creature, worth travelling to see and paying the extra'. As you're in essex, I believe that the Alpine Room in Chelmsford would be worth your attention (no affiliation, other bootfitters are available)...
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Richard, you're a legend. Thank you. I'm in Chelmsford this weekend - I shall stop in.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
buster1976, Alpine Room is in Danbury. I took my skis to be serviced in the late summer before a glacier trip - they couldn't do them as it wasn't the season! They swap the shop to sailing in the summer. I'd check if they ahve boots and a fitter at this time. personally I woudln't go near the place. An alternative woudl be Ski Plus in Chelmsford, they are OK - my husband is happy with his boots from there (a recreational skier, he previously had 2 visits to a bootfitter recommended on here but after losing his big toe nails for the second time and crying with pain after 2 weeks skiing he abandoned the boots)
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
buster1976, The Alpine room is actually in Danbury - on the main road there, so well outside of Chelmsford. They have sold me kids boots in the past, but for my own boots I go to Skee Tex in Battlesbridge.

buster1976, if you drive to the alps, then a set of second hand skis may be worth considering, as you won't have carriage costs - you will have to get them serviced though. Skee Tex also do that. N.B. I have no affliation with ST other than being a customer!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Great stuff. I'm in Maldon at the weekends, so Danbury and Chelmsford are easily visited. Thanks for the tips. We do drive - second-hand might be a great call. Hmmmm, lots to think about.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
buster1976, personally, I would not bother with the boots. If rental boots work for you, then I'd stick with them for the moment. Having your own boots can be a hassle, and a painful one at that.

Skis - no, not for one week a year.

Sunnies - I have loveley expensive ones, but for skiing I just love going back to cheesy blue mirrored ones. Don't understand about being laughed at wearing helmet and shades. Never happened to me AFAIK. I always laugh at people wearing goggles on a hot sunny day. I always carry both. You'll look a twit wearing goggles on the terrace of a restaurant, and you'll feel a twit wearing sunnies in a blizzard.

To be honest, sunnies can be a problem on a cold day in a fast schuss. Otherwise, far nicer......unless the helmet makes them dig in to your head!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
More superbness. Should have joined this forum years ago. Thank you thank you. I'm gonna take my reliable old goggles and buy some nice sunnies too. The rental option I'm looking at for skis and boots is the performance pack from http://la-rosiere-eucherts.skiset.co.uk/partner/mountainheaven/booking/catalog/ - hopefully good gear.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
buster1976, I am in Mundon. Battlesbridge is just as easily visited wink
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
True indeed. That's my Saturday taken up! My mate owns the pub in Mundon - very nice.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
buster1976, My son in the same class as your mate's kid!! wink Kevin Bacon anyone? Laughing
latest report
Ah, he hasn't got kids. Different pub perhaps. Anyway, big thanks everyone!
snow report
Goggles are key, you will need them if it snows, I only wear goggles anyway. I like the POC goggles, but maybe a bit pricy, for a cheap alternative have a look at Electric or Dragon.
ski holidays
Also if you buy skis be aware that you will need to pay for servicing and transit, which can add up to a lot!
latest report
Quote:

personally i'd probably recommend putting the money towards some professional instruction for your next trip or two, and getting good boots properly fitted as NickyJ suggests further down the line.

I'd agree with this - lots of people have "problem feet" and need to get their own boots, or they ski a lot and it makes sense. But if you've been happy with rental boots and ski only once a year I'd stick with them, and definitely stick with rental skis, too.

I use both sunglasses and goggles but except on the warmest days prefer the latter and never go out without goggles. But my goggles aren't expensive ones (they cost me about £35 IIRC, in resort) and they're on their third season. Some genuinely gnarly skiers need all the gear but most don't, especially people who ski just one week a year, and would do better to get lessons than to spend £120 on goggles. I can get 4 hours private tuition for three people for less than that. wink
ski holidays
my sunnies tick all the "UV" boxes and cost around £20 in Decathlon.
ski holidays
Agree. Plenty of good cheap goggles around. Spend a fortune on goggles and younwill spend your life worrying about scratches. I'm not saying buy rubbish, but a pair you pick up for £20 in the sales is probably no different than a £150 pair. Same principle as trainers. FWIW I have skiied around 30 weeks X 6 days pw = 180 days. I have worn goggles on about 10 of those days. 6 in 2013. But, I always carry a pair.
snow report
Boots first.

Goggles : I wear goggles no matter the conditions, I just switch lenses for when it's sunny or overcast/whiteout conditions.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy