Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Kitzbuhel and its Hahnenkamm jamboree: the New York Times sums it up

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
This is a worthwhile article on Austria's great downhill, the Hahnenkamm - which takes place every January and turns the town of Kitzbuhel into one big carnival. It also mentions a bit about Kitzbuhel's skiing.

The report, by Gabriel Sherman, looks at the venue, the racers, the spectators, and the other things that whip up the magic of the place. What's really impressive is that the event was actually cancelled last January, due to weather conditions, when the writer visited!
Quote:
What makes the Hahnenkamm so thrilling to watch is the proximity to the action. Unlike football or baseball, where fans are sequestered away from the field in giant stadiums, spectators at the Hahnenkamm can hike up the mountain and watch slopeside as racers flash past. The race is also broadcast onto jumbo screens in the stadium at the base of the slope.

Here's the article.

Who's been to the Hahnenkamm?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I was beside the Hanenkamm the year Klammer won by about a second. Trouble is I couldn't understand the loudspeakers where I was, so had no idea who I was seeing.

It was so steep several people lost their footing just standing there and slid way down. So did I and grabbed a small branch to stop myself. Trouble is there was aq bit of barbed wire wrapped around it! Ouch! Had to go for stitches and a tetanus injection afterwards but I watched the rest of the race first.

I was right by the Mousefalle (Sp?) and saw the undersides of their skis as they went almost over me with a big whoooosh - and landed going 80mph into a big compression!!!!! Very impressive.

A Japanese skier I was with in the cable-car said "I scared". I sympathised.

Afterwards they opened it to the public. Someone fell on the section just down from the Mousefalle while I was doing it. Somehow his boot didn't come out of his ski but his foot out of his boot! His ski went off down the piste with his boot still on it. I thought for a moment he had ripped his foot off!
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I've been there a few times, but like snowball says, you don't really get to see much of the race. What is impressive is the noise the skis make when the racers land at the bottom of the Mausefalle, go through the compression and then have to edge hard to make the right turn into the Steilhang. That's what really gives you an impression of the speed and strength that's involved.
But all in all, if you want to see the race you are better off watching it on TV Sad
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy