Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Have you instructed in Austria???

Poster: A snowHead
Hi All,

I'm on the verge of doing the Austrian qualification for skiing and snowboarding and would just like a bit of information to confirm I'm doing the right thing. I have a dog who will be coming to Austria with me so, will need to find my own accommodation (500 Euros per month) and she will need doggy day care (300 Euros per month), those 2 expenses alone won't leave much out of a 1200 Euros nett salary so, I need to know how much I'm likely to earn in tips? Also, I'm planning to offer ski waxing to my clients for say 15/20 Euros.

Do you think this is doable? Is there anything else I can do to make a bit of extra cash?

Cheers
Craig
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
1200 for a first year Anwärter (level 1) is pushing it a lot! "most" start around €1000 some a little more, some a lot less. Have to get a bit lucky.

Maybe if you could find your way into one of the more expensive resorts... if it's Mayrhofen as your location suggests then maybe ~ €1050 at SMT or 3000, €950 at mt. everest and €400-800 at Roten profis

extra cash can come from tips (if you are really good or cheaky) can also do privates at lunch (reserved for locals sometimes), illegal privates (or so ive heard wink ), glass collecting or dish washing etc...
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
sorry one last point if it is MHF, getting a place is hard enough, I have no idea if it will be possible with a dog.... hate to be all pessimistic, sorry about this...
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
craiginsight, where are you intending to do the Anwärter training? In some of the provinces you can only get this as a foreigner if you are sponsored by a ski school (i.e. have the promise of work if oyu pass). Salzburgerland is definitely like this. Tirol though is more open but the courses cost a wee bit more. There are also some external set-ups (I know a lot of Dutch skiers who qualify through an organisation based in Wien I think).

Having the dog could be a real problem for you as well I'm afraid as many seasonal lets specifically exclude having pets.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hi Mate,

Have you been teaching out here for a while?

It would be Zell am See where I'd be looking at teaching. I've been looking and there are apartments in the region (may have a 10 minute drive to resort) for around 500E warm. My German is OK and I was hoping that I would have a head start on the majority of Brits who come out here to teach and that would lead to the higher end of the salary scale.

Obviously I'd never do it but, how much illegal private work have you heard people can get?

I used to teach in the UK and used to get loads of people asking for me on their next lessons so, I am a decent instructor. Any idea what a good instructor might make in tips?

Sorry for all the questions Smile

Cheers
Craig
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Samerberg Sue,

Hi Sue,

It would be in Zell am See so I would need a sponsor however, I'm thinking of going with The Ski Instructor Academy and they organise a job before hand. Ever heard of them?

Also I'm contacting ski schools independently to see if I can get in that way which is a cheaper option.

I'd be looking at long term rents, it's my plan to stay out here for at least a year. I've been told that I would get a higher wage from the ski school that I work for if they don't need to pay for my accommodation. Is this true?

Craig
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Anwaerter wages can vary. St Anton was €1300 a month, Saalbach €800-900. That assumes you have work all week every week, which isn't guaranteed!! St Anton pay a retainer of €300 a month if you have no work (-€90 for accomm), I don't know about others.

Tips can vary, and certainly can't be expected or relied upon - this isn't the States! I think I was tipped less than 50% of the time, but some of those tips were more than doubled that week's salary.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

I'd be looking at long term rents, it's my plan to stay out here for at least a year. I've been told that I would get a higher wage from the ski school that I work for if they don't need to pay for my accommodation. Is this true?

Normally ski schools own their own accomm, so deduct a bit from your wages to cover that. However it is normally far far cheaper than organising your own!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
clarky999,

Thanks Matt.

Any idea what the salary range is for a Landes 1 instructor?

Cheers
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
clarky999 wrote:
Quote:

Normally ski schools own their own accomm, so deduct a bit from your wages to cover that. However it is normally far far cheaper than organising your own!

YEah I'd prefer to use their accommodation but, not possible with the pooch Sad
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
craiginsight wrote:
clarky999,

Thanks Matt.

Any idea what the salary range is for a Landes 1 instructor?

Cheers

Sorry not really, but I know it depends on school (and some that pay the same as anwaerter 'til you're Landes 2).
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I think the increase in salary at a couple of my old schools was +100-150€ per month for Landes 2, might be able to negotiate an increase with a Landes 1, depends if they like you. The main benifit at ours was more privates and better lessons. But that's MHF, they have no reason to be nice to you there, if you wont do it an eastern european or dutchman will!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
craiginsight, even long term rentals exclude having large house pets and dogs are often actually listed as not being allowed. A 12 month rental is still seen as being short-term by the way. I live here permenantly and am not allowed either a cat or a dog and that is fairly typical I'm afraid to say. Having a pet restricts your choices hugely when it comes to flat hunting and pet watching/sitting services are fairly thin on the ground as well, otherwise I would have a dog of my own again. working full time and leaving a pet in a house alone all day is asking for trouble!

I think you have maybe got a weird or inaccurate idea of what is possible - as an Anwärter you are at the lowest scale unless you have much higher recognised qualifications from other bodies (BASI, CSIA, PASI, etc.). The people with just the Anwärter qualification may not always get lesson time, especially in low season. As for teaching privately as a supplement to your income, be very very careful as it is as you already admit illegal and could cost you your job.

Just because you can speak some German, it may not be as advantageous as you seem think as there are many Dutch and Scandinavians with far better language skills in both English and German as well as their own languages! You may be a rare commodity on the English scale in that you have some German, but not so in a European context I'm afraid.

The Ski Instructor Acadamy is quite expensive for what it offers - take a look at the SBSSV web site - currently only available in German for some odd reason (used to be an English version too). If you have a proven track record and recognised qualifications you may well be able to get a position with a ski school who then sponsor you for the course (i.e. they tell the SBSSV that you have a job with them for the coming season - you still have to pay your own fees). There is a dual ski and snowboard Anwärter course in November (16th Nov to 1st Dec) that may be of interest to you. Accommodation costs are extra but they offer full board at a so-called Youth Hotel for 45 Eruo a night.

I know for example the biggest shortage area for ski and snowboard instructors currently in the Salzburger area is for those who speak more than one Eastern European language. The SBSSV Obmann has been running courses in Russia, training up qualified instructors from the Russian Federation in the Austrian teaching progression. The future market seems to be orientating itself more and more towards the rich Eastern Europeans I'm afraid!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks all

Samerberg Sue,
There's no way I'd leave Malo (my dog) on her own, I'd feel too guilty. I've been in touch with a dog day care service just outside Zell am See so, I know she would be OK in the day. What do you do if you don't mind me asking? How did you start out in Austria?

Yeah I've had a look at SBSSV and will be taking their course if I can get a ski school to sponsor me. I thought it being in German was by design, didn't realise it was in English before.

Well that leaves me out then, I don't really have any interest in learning Russion Puzzled
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Just a little point, if you get a job working in mayrhofen at SMT or 3000 even if you are just an Anwärter you will be glad of time not teaching by the end of the season, it's very much 6 days a week 4 hours a day all the time!!
snow report
Shame about the dog situation. I'd want to take our out next time if at all possible.
ski holidays
AndAnotherThing.., craiginsight, it is not impossible but you are restricting your choices. Many Buy-to-Let property owners look at dogs particularly as an extra cost as they have to renovate before they can re-let. It is good to hear that there is such a service in Zell though, perhaps it is a market waiting to be developed! wink A germ of an idea is starting to form for extra income when I finally retire maybe! wink

craiginsight, if you have previous experience and references, it is not difficult to get a ski school interested. There is a list of vacancies on the SBSSV web site and you cal also put up a job wanted version as well if I remember correctly. You could also write directly to the SBSSV Obmann, Gerhard Sint - his English is excellent by the way. He would be able to advise as well. His email address is on the SBSSV web site.

I work fulltime as a translator and EFL teacher in Bayern. I live right on the border so my living room looks out directly into Austria and I ski in Salzburgerland mainly, although Tirol is closer. I've been here nearly 20 years now. The reason I'm still living on the German side of the border is mainly due to the rental situation - rental agreements once signed are open-ended and you have lots of tenant protection against being asked to leave, as well as how much a landlord can increase your rent. In Austria rental agreements are usually for 3 or 5 years maximum, normally with automatic renewal but with no guarantee on the part of the landlord. I prefer the security that the German model gives me I'm afraid to say. Smile
snow report
Well it's 15 Euros for up to 6 hours and then 20 Euros for up to 10 hours doggy day care so, not a bad income. I imagine there's lots of red tape to set up though Smile

I would be able to get references and I've been emailing ski schools. I've just sent a few emails to schools in Garmisch to see what the job situation is like there and accommodation is much cheaper. May be the way to go! I thought that the Austrian rental system would be the same as in Germany, good that you set me straight on that so, thanks. I used to live in Berlin so understand their rental system.

Sounds like your view is pretty nice. Bet it beats the carpark view that I have right now Smile
ski holidays
craiginsight, how much luck have you had with getting in touch with ski schools direct? I'm looking at doing my Anwarter next Winter (14/15) and unsure as to which route to go, either the Ski Instructor Academy you suggest or doing it directly with the snowsport authority in one of the provinces as Samerberg Sue mentions. I have already done one week working at the ski school in St Anton with the minis (4 and 5 yr olds) during Feb half term and thoroughly enjoyed it.
ski holidays
Sitter, you may be able to get the ski school who knows you to sponsor you! I think they come under the Landesverband Tirol but I'm not sure. clarky999 knows more about that part of the country in terms of the ski school set up than I do. As far as I know the Tirol Landesverband run courses and you do not need to be sponsored by a local ski school ( espri did his anwärter without any sponsorship, although he does live in the Tirol, so he may have been treated as a "native". another person you could ask is SaraJ. She teaches in Hochfügen in the Zillertal and is based out there all year round.

craiginsight, the view I have at the moment is of our company car park and the factory opposite my office! Sad Home Office days are much more enjoyable! wink
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy