Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Where to go in Austria?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi

Snowheads gave me some fantastic and spot on advice for the States last year so I'm dipping back into the well of knowledge again this year and hoping to get some tips on Austria.

We are a family of four with two adult (good skiers) and two kids who will be 8 and 5 by the time we are hoping to go to Austria next March.
The kids have a couple of years skiing under their belts and will be skiing on dry slopes throughout the winter.
The 8 year old was skiing double black diamonds and off piste with his instructors in the states this year and the 5 year old was skiing easy black diamonds (easy reds in Europe).

Other than the States we've skied mostly in France and Switzerland but I'd love to give Austria a go as we've only been there once ( without the kids)and we didn't have the best experience. We have heard that it is a great place to go with kids so we'd like to give it another go.

Ideally we would like to have the 8 year old in morning lessons and then to ski with us in the afternoon. For the 5 year old we would like him to be able to do something like the ESF club piou piou in France where he would have a full day with morning and afternoon lessons. We will pull him out some afternoons to ski with us. We will probably do lessons ourselves some of the mornings.

So we're looking for recommendations on resorts that would have sufficiently challenging skiing to keep us entertained as well as having enough to keep the kids happy and with enough easy runs to allow them to progress within their abilities and not be pushed too far too fast - especially the 5 year old.

With such young kids the apres ski scene isn't really a factor for us, we'd like some family friendly resorts that won't break the bank.
We're open to all options whether its self catering apartments or full board.
Travelling in the first week of March we would like somewhere that is snow sure.

Any advice you can give would be very much appreciated.

Regards

Elaine
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Family friendly with challenges and links in Austria and not too expensive - sounds like Ellmau or St Christoph im Arlberg.
First week in March should be no problem even in lower resorts.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
beequin wrote:
First week in March should be no problem even in lower resorts.

Agreed. However if the OP wants some insurance against there being a lack of snow they can always stay in a resort with a nearby glacier e.g Zell am See with the Kaprun glacier or the Zillertal resorts with the glacier at Hintertux....
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Alastair Pink, Don't rule out Soll/Ski-Welt. Especially if you have transport!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Alpbach for me very family friendly. not masses of slopes but plenty now with the new link. Lovely atmosphere.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
skimastaaah, I wouldn't rule out anywhere in Austria! Laughing

mattiwilkin, Yes Alpbach (and Westendorf) are lovely family friendly resorts. Very Happy
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
No need to be near a glacier at the beginning of March.... if there was then the whole industry in Austria would be a wee bit dead!
Most ski schools will offer an all day course (4 hours) with or without lunch; this will end early afternoon so you can have a couple of hours at the end of the day to ski with them.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I've been to a good few resorts (>10) in Austria but can not see past Mayrhofen for a family holiday.

We have had our kids in both half and whole day classes over the years.

See here http://www.snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=2124833&highlight=easter#2124833
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I think the problem may be narrowing the range of resorts people suggest. I'd say have a look at Schladming and Saalbach.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I'll put in a vote for Fieberbrunn (I live there, so I'm biased Laughing). The area isn't very large but does offer near-piste off-piste skiing (e.g. the Hochhörndl) and even more serious off-piste, if you want it (e.g. on the Wildseeloder), probably best with a guide.

If you look for more variety, it is also easy to have days out, e.g. to St. Johann in Tirol (with the Schneewinkel lift pass) or even to Kitzbühel (using the Kitzbühel Alpen or Salzburg Super Ski passes) - though that may not be so practical if you have kids around in classes.

All the other resorts mentioned are great too (though I wouldn't expect St. Christoph am Arlberg to be cheap, super though the skiing is).
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
nozawaonsen wrote:
I think the problem may be narrowing the range of resorts people suggest. I'd say have a look at Schladming and Saalbach.

I was thinking Saalbach too.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
A chalet in St Anton first week in March probably wouldn't break the bank. My experience of the ski school there with kids was the best I've experienced. And the kids sound like they would enjoy the challenge.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I would go for a lesser known resort, especially with kids, one that will be quieter.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:
With such young kids the apres ski scene isn't really a factor for us, we'd like some family friendly resorts that won't break the bank

I'd second Frosty's suggestion. Wagrain for example is a really good location for families, as are many other resorts off the British TO radar. Very pretty little village with excellent ski schools and loads of skiing. When the new G-Link lift opens this season a lot of the traffic problems experienced in the past will disappear to!
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Dear All

Many thanks for all of the fantastic tips.
I have some researching, followed by some booking to do!!!

Regards

Elaine
latest report
No idea about sprogenations but I can recommend the off-piste guided tours and nightlife etc in St Anton.
latest report
Serfaus-Fiss-Ladis, great resort for families.
snow report
Tirol, it is one of the best family resorts but sadly it rarely if ever features along with the word budget! Even my German friends sometimes baulk at the prices to take their families there. The OP did specify "that won't break the bank" Sad
snow conditions
Samerberg Sue, fair point but I did see someone mention St Anton higher up....

There's not a massive amount of reasonable self-catering places but they do exist plus if you happy with a 15min drive you can stay down in Ried/Prutz which is cheaper.
snow report
Kappl/Ischgl should do the trick. Possibly even Stuben for off piste heaven and great wee ski school for the kids.
snow report
No need for a glacier in Austria in first week of March?.....Hmmm, in 25 years of skiing in 15 or 16 countries, the worst March conditions I've ever encountered in Europe (Scotland excepted!) were in Zell am See, Austria....in the first week of March. 1991 if I recall correctly. Snow cover on the local hill (Schmittenhohe) was virtually non-existent and looked more like summer. Every morning we queued for about 2 hours to ride the (sadly infamous) funicular up to the Kaprun glacier....
snow conditions
mountainaddict, prolly similar in the rest of Europe at the time too though? Freak terrible seasons can happen anywhere, restricting yourself to only glacier resorts for the rest of your life just in case would be a bit... over-dramatic, don't you think?
ski holidays
mountainaddict, Since 1991 there have been a fair few advances in artificial snow making to ensure the base last atleast until the Easter weekends. As I remember Zell am See had problems installing snow cannons at first because it was in the Hohen Tauern National Park, now they have a superb network of the latest form of high tech lances that work non-stop at the beginning of the season to make a really secure base. I was in Axams the Easter of 1991 and the snow cover was fine after a very dodgy March. You win some, you lose some! March 1989 we were begging the company I worked for to switch the groups to the Steinplatte because the snow was so bad in St Johann and Kitzbühel. They finally agreed but it was too late for as I had had my knee smashed to smithereens in a collision due to too many people in too small an area.
snow report
mountainaddict, yes. By and large no need for a glacier in the first week of March anywhere in the Alps. Could I find exceptions in the last 25 years. Sure. They'd be pretty rare though.
latest report
If it is that bad at the start of March then any glacier would be so rammed that it would be a hideous experience.
snow report
Frosty the Snowman, yep and the Kaprun one is a nightmare on those occasions - 2 hours or more to get up and half an hour minimum in each lift. It would be the same everywhere else as well - Tux, Mölltal, Stubai, etc!
snow report
We're a family with 3 kids under 10. Have tried a few resorts and keep going back to Zell am see. Just a great mix of slopes, accommodation, ski school, local public pool, restaurants, etc.
snow report
Quote:
Since 1991 there have been a fair few advances in artificial snow making to ensure the base last atleast until the Easter weekends.
Indeed.
Quote:

By and large no need for a glacier in the first week of March anywhere in the Alps. Could I find exceptions in the last 25 years. Sure. They'd be pretty rare though.
NB use of 'by and large'....And my 1991 week was indeed one of the exceptions that you refer to. The rareness or bad luck of it all is irrelevant if it just so happens to occur in your ski week Confused .
Quote:
restricting yourself to only glacier resorts for the rest of your life just in case would be a bit... over-dramatic, don't you think?
Not quite sure how that extreme course of action could be either suggested or implied by my response... Confused I was just (perhaps mischieviously) correcting an assertion that a glacier could never be required as back up on a March trip to Austria when, in my case many years ago, it was....Anyway, as a result of that experience and after a great deal of thought as to whether I should indeed only ski at areas with glaciers, I (deep breath...several counselling sessions later) took the plunge and have skied about 150 non-glacier areas since. Touch wood....never had anywhere with such poor snow since Smile.

So, in a nutshell, the Zell am See no-snow experience didn't put me off at all - we still had a great time that week, Kaprun queues and all, and have since skied non-glacial Austrian (and other) resorts until winter season end on many occasions.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Samerberg Sue, I was in St Johann late one year when the only skiing was at Steinplatte.
You did'nt work for Ski Partners or Ski Bound did you? Shocked
latest report
That would be telling wouldn't it wink As I was lying in hospital with my leg being carefully pieced together by the chief surgeon I did not get to ski there that particular season! Shall we say that the company I was with had cut quite a few corners, including failing to insure the instructors, so I was claiming on my own Evil or Very Mad
ski holidays
Samerberg Sue wrote:
Shall we say that the company I was with had cut quite a few corners, including failing to insure the instructors,...Evil or Very Mad

Got to be Worst Choice then............ Alledgedly m'lud. (Joking)
There were several group-ski companies that fell foul of fickle finances around that time. My wife worked for one, based in Great Missenden, Bucks.
latest report
We don't have kids so can't comment on the ski school arrangements but I'd recommend Obertauern. It's high, snow sure and easy to get around. Most of the accommodation is virtually ski in/ ski out so minimum hassle getting the kids out in the morning. Austrian hotels are very good and very good value too. Good range of pistes, from big wide blues to very steep black mogul fields.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy