Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Last minute availability for packages to Europe; resorts for a short list

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Due to unforeseen circumstances got less money for ski holidays next year and won't be able to commit to which weeks until few weeks before.

So plan was to hopefully go 8/9th Feb but would be looking to book a package about two weeks before.

As someone who always likes to book well in advance would be great to get some advice from those of you who book nearer the time. Criteria would be as follows:

TO package from either Glasgow or Edinburgh (I know that rules out quite a few places) and either half board hotel or catered chalet for about £650pp maximum for flights and accommodation
Reasonable sized ski area (we're 2 intermediate skiers )
Runs not really busy and few queues
Stay within 5 min walk from a lift/ run
Most importantly decent snow but we can keep an eye on places nearer the time

Are we likely to get something to meet all these criteria for that price only 2 weeks before?! or do we need to be compromising more? Not fussy which country. Had been looking at resorts in Italian Milky Way eg Claviere, Sestriere. Also Skiwelt. Original plan had been 3 valleys.

Thoughts and recommendations much appreciated Very Happy
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

Are we likely to get something to meet all these criteria for that price only 2 weeks before?! or do we need to be compromising more?

Well, the whole point of last minute booking (though 2 weeks isn't really last minute) is that you do need to be flexible. That won't be a cheap week, as it's the last week before the school holidays and therefore very popular. If you were able to go mid-January prices would be considerably lower and pistes quieter. There may also be a trade-off between bigger, better known resorts (e.g. 3 Valleys) which are always pretty busy and smaller resorts where, out of peak times, you could have entire pistes to yourselves. How much you need to compromise won't be clear until the time comes, really. For example, you might find an otherwise ideal package using self-catering accommodation - but provided there are plenty of restaurants around, that might not be a big problem.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I would guess the biggest problem would be the airport. Regional airports usually get booked up quickly. You may end up at Manchester or worse.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
and if the snow is anything like it was last year you won't be the only one looking for a good deal 'last minute'... but, as others say compromising on a few things here and there opens up more chances...
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
MCL, I think you need to reconsider which week
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
MCL, For me part of the joy of booking last minute is to go where the snow is best and choose somewhere with a good forecast. I rarely know where I'm going to go before 5 days from departure, usually more like 3........ Submit to the mystery and follow the snow. snowHead
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

I would guess the biggest problem would be the airport

yes. When we did very last minute holidays (twice) there were no flights - the first time we went by train, the second we drove down. And those occasions were both in the cheapest, deadest, week of January. There were holidays with flights available, but not where/what we wanted. You DO have to be flexible and to be ready to maybe try something completely new.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
MCL, if you want to go cheap, go outside the main European holidays.

Check this link for the dates to avoid.

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=99593
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
As other SHs have said, a change of week would be the easiest way to reduce costs in one feel swoop - mid Jan would be good.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
MCL, Rogg has got it right!! The very best deals are to be had only a few days before departure. In the past 4/5years I've had great deals to top resorts even during high season dates under £400 for chalet, flights, transfers. Even seen 4* chalets all in with Skiworld for under £300 in off peak weeks. Check out the Alpine Answers website during the season, they tend to have the clearance prices. Another tip.... use Alpine Answers tofind the deals, then check out which TO it is and see if going direct saves even more. Good hunting! Smile
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks for advice folks. Sounds like we'll definitely get something then which is reassuring as we're happy too be flexible where and could fly from Manchester too quite easily.

Agree Jan would be better but I will probably on a training course which covers various weekends in Jan and Feb, making that week only one free! Can't do march either which is when would normally go!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy