Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

help me choose a touring ski....

Poster: A snowHead
Hi.

Looking for some snowhead advice... Smile

I got in to touring last year, about 5 or 6 single day tours over the winter, some of about 1000m per day.

I did the shorter tours on my own Atomic Theorys 178 with a Salomon Guardian binding.i have used these skis for everything the past few years. The longer ones i did with rented scott crusair with dynafit binding.

The dynafit experience has convinced me i need to go for something like the dynafit tlt speed radical for the binding. Seems like a market leader. But i'm not so sure what ski to pair with it.

My ambition is to do long tours, of about a week or maybe more with maybe 1000m per day. Something like the haute route. So i want something on the lighter end of the spectrum. This will be a dedicated touring ski as i will probably use the atomic theory for anything lift accessed.

I was thinking of going for something reasonably similar in the waist to the atomic theory (96) and a similar length. From what i can see there is two camps, people using 100mm+ skis in long lengths, and then people with about 80mm skis that seem v. short...

Has anyone thoughts on the best strategy.... a ski i like the sound of was the dynafit mustagh ata superlight - 178 and 89 in the waist, as it is similar to what i'm used to (in dimensions) but combined with the dynafit binding should be a lot lighter.

Any other ideas to consider before i spend the money?

edit. i am 180cm and 75kg male.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Shorter and narrower is lighter and less friction to drag about but obviously the ski performance will start to suffer. Personally I think you won't go wrong with similar but lighter skis. I'd try and demo some though.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
yes i can see the trade-off, just wondering how extreme to go. If i am used to 178 and 96, then i am thinking lighter binding + lighter ski will do me fine.

I would be interested to know what people tour with on here and what they would go for if they only bought one, would it be 90mm ish, or much less , say 70s?

I have ''grown up'' on the atomic theories, so when i see old French dudes on tiny skis i am wondering whether they know the optimum, or they just use the gear they bought years ago...
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Do not buy without trying. As you know, when you're touring you will encounter conditions that are not always ideal. You have to feel confident with your ski. You will definitely need Dynafit or compatible bindings, but most people would recommend saving the weight in the boot and binding and not compromise on the ski.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
http://www.dynastar.com/GB/GB/cham-high-mountain-97_DA2K301_product_dynastar-skis-men-freeride.html

Dynastar Cham 97 high mountain , bought last year , the best ski's I've ever owned , skins sold to fit .
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Scott crusair with dynafits sound like I great set up.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Movement make fantastic touring skiis. My wife used the Logic X which was amazing when we did the Haute Route earlier this year (very light and good in a lot of conditions). I used the Crus'airs which I found to very good in a range of conditions.

For the number of days tourimg your are doing, the lighter the better!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
ractys, a pal skied 9 days of of 1,500m + each day in Norway in April on K2 Sidestashes (110mm) and had a great time. Don't worry too much about underfoot width/weight if you're using Dynafits ... I was happy enough with Crusairs (90mm) until I used Powdairs (100mm) which are even more fun and don't make any noticeable climbing difference. Dynafits are good for piste bashing too with caveats that you'll feel every rattle and bump because their connection is so solid and if you tumble awkwardly, they might not release as easily as an Alpine. Plus they'll lean your lower leg further forward than Alpines / Fritschis etc ... I will be shimming the toes before the new season.

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Sun 18-08-13 0:03; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
moffatross, I'd be interested in more on your experience with the Powd'airs and dynafits, I'm thinking about just that. Must be good on powder days:)
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
jbob, they've got a bit less bite on neve and scraped snow than Crusairs but they're lots more fun on powder and are better warm day slush surfers too. They're also surprisingly nimble in bumps, berms and gullys. If I had the cash, I'd have a pair of Dynafit Beasts (for the extra release security, not hucking) on Powdairs and that would make my ideal set-up. I skied 30 days lift served and touring last season on Dynafits and another 5 days on Barons and realised only at the season end that I need the toe shims.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
moffatross, thanks, I'm totally sold on dynafits, I don't do hucking and I only come out of my bindings a couple of times a season! I skied some dynastar alti lights quite a bit last year and loved how easy they were against lugging around my normal skis. Plus the touring boots were comfortable and easy to walk in. What's the deal with toe shims, you must have flexible ankles.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
moffatross, there is a bit of a difference doing that much vert lower down than higher up.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Forgot to mention re Cham 97 's my Dynafits work very well together , the reason I bought these were that loads of the guides local to me , Ste Foy , were using this set up . Soon worked out why .
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
jbob, toe shim thing was simple trial and error. Some days I didn't notice a problem but some days I thought I was skiing all wrong and had always assumed it was because I was actually skiing all wrong and nothing else. But I'd read about the Dynafit binding ramp angle issue and thought I'd check out whether swapping bindings from techs to alpines on same ski, same day, same conditions etc would make any difference. I realised afterwards that it had completely changed my body position to a relaxed one and let me feel like I was skiing properly again. As the quiver killers are set up so that the boot is mounted at same position on the ski, the only difference was the extra ramp angle which the dynafit naturally imposes. See here ... http://www.wildsnow.com/8185/b-d-toe-shim-tech-bindings-ramp/

meh, yep, in that respect, Norwegian touring would be a little like Scottish or Icelandic touring I'd have thought.

The effect of altitude ... http://www.brianmac.co.uk/vo2max.htm i.e. in the Alps, there should theoretically be around a 10% hit on total climbing capacity or time for a similar climb.

"VO2 max decreases as altitude increases above 1600m and for every 1000m above 1600m maximal oxygen uptake decreases by approximately 8-11%. The decrease is mainly due to a decrease in maximal cardiac output (product of heart rate and stroke volume). Stoke volume decreases due to the immediate decrease in blood plasma volume."

Conditioning at altitude (i.e. living there) or Lance Armstrong's phone number will compensate of course.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I wouldn't drop much below 100mm underfoot. Circa 100-110 is probably the sweet spot. If you're lugging a ski up a mountain then you want to make the down as fun as poss.

Down CD4 could be an option - check out the thread in Equipment/Reviews for presale prices.
latest report
interesting variety of opinions.

clarky999, I think it depends on the snow conditions - if its fresh powder then you might want something like that, but also could it be a hindrance when your tackling any icy traverse? or following someone elses track when they have narrower skis?

Typically, there are more days of icy/variable conditions then good powder, I want a ski that I'm confident to use anywhere (long tours, technical sections)and any conditions . So maybe that requires a compromise. In any case, after a fresh fall, I expect I would more likely be skiing using lifts anyway and using a regular alpine binding and a fatter ski, to get more downhill in.
ski holidays
of course, if you have done a lot of touring on a fatter ski, maybe I am mistaken.
ski holidays
ractys, not 'a lot,' but a reasonable amount on skis from 92 - 118 underfoot. Longer, wider and heavier for sure makes the up more work (especially late season when the skins start to absorb meltwater). However, no question they're more fun on the way down, and construction/rocker/sidecut profiles make as much a difference to the things you list as width. Sure, ice is no fun on wider skis, but width makes variable stuff a lot more fun - makes more of a difference there than in pow. IMHO 100-110 is still the sweetspot for techy variable terrain/snow; that's not much wider than your boot so fitting into a skin track really isn't a problem (at least IME). If a slope is steep and icy enough that a few mms width makes that much difference, it's time to get the crampons out. I haven't experienced that though, but then I generally tour precisely to find good snow and powder a week or more after a storm when the resorts are long tracked out...

If you're doing seriously long tours and massive vert, more 'hike in the snow' or ski mountaineering than aiming for exciting descents, sure save yourself the skin drag and go as short, narrow and light as poss. If you're touring to ski, the all mountain sweetspot (as for lift served) is circa 100-110, decent flex, not too much sidecut and at least some tip rocker. Best compromise for typical, everyday alpine conditions, and there are plenty of skis that fit those criteria that are light enough to skin on pretty happily. Take a serious look at those CD4s, touring in variable Euro snow is exactly what they were designed for.
ski holidays
For powder tourimg I am looking at the Voile V8's. these look fab.
snow report
cheers clarky, sounds like good advice to me!
snow report
ractys, that's just my experience, there are plenty of people on here with a lot more touring experience than me though. Will be interesting to see what others think.
snow conditions
depends exactly what you want to do. if i was buying something specifically for the Haute Route, I'd be looking at about 90mm underfoot and maybe 180cm length (for reference I am about 185cm tall and 95kg - normally choose the longest length available for a ski), not too stiff, not too much sidecut (20m-ish) and a flat tail. Dynafit bindings obviously

however, i wouldn't buy skis specifically for the Haute Route because I have a quiver already, so I'd be tossing up between my DPS Wailer 105s with Dynafits, which are probably a weeny bit long and fat for normal HR conditions and resurrecting some old Blizzard Titan 9s (180cm 80mm underfoot) which may be a bit on the narrow side if the snow is difficult, but are great for technical skinning and hardpack

point is, the HR is a lot of travelling for not a huge amount of skiing so if that is the emphasis choose your ski accordingly (narrower/lighter weight may be the bias) but if you want your skis for a bit of hut to hut but also day tours for powder etc, you may want something longer and fatter so you enjoy the down more
ski holidays
^ this....

touring kit is all about compromise.
in simple terms... what goes up must come down
there is no perfect ski touring set up.
there is always a compromise depending if your focus is on the ups or downs.

either way dyanfit is essential Wink
snow report
You'll do very well to get a better ski here than a Voelkl Nanuq.
latest report
I have some, you can have them at Euro Trade, Plus VAT plus Postage. 177 or 184?
snow report
Have you seen this http://www.wildsnow.com/9558/alpin-magazine-ski-reviews-narrower-2013/ and or this http://www.wildsnow.com/9535/backcountry-freeride-ski-reviews-alpin-magazine/ .

I bought a Volkl Amaruq in 184 in the sport pursuit Oct 2012 Volkl offer with a view to some hut to hut touring in spring 2013 but I was off games at that time. Skied in bounds/ lift accessed off piste crud just great, in fact lovely carver, very fast edge to edge. Did a 1000m training climb and felt very light, I was very impressed. Dynafit, Technica Cochise 120, 95 Kg, 184cm (n.b. I have mid fats that share the Dynafit). N.b. I bought these because of the price - but if that is all I could find I would buy them again I think. Also its not a rockered ski - or at least my version isn't.

Based on this I'd be looking at the European oriented offerings in in the mid 90's in mid 180s - Blizzard, Movement, Dynastar Cham, Volkl and then seeing what the best deal is. Interesting to see in the reviews above that some Scotts were loved and some hated - maybe a poor tune?
ski holidays
300 pound quids posted.
latest report
http://www.wildsnow.com/9909/wildsnow-ultimate-ski-review-quiver-2013-2014/

Right on time. Wink
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I may shed some light on your options. Last your I bought a very nice pair of Dynafit Huascaran (196cm), incl. Dynafit Radical FT binding. They're awesome: huge, relatively light, ski very good (even on piste they're alright). Done some freeriding and day touring, and ended the season with a week of skitouring in the Silvretta.

They were however, by far, the biggest ski's I've seen during the tour (and I got a lot of comments!). So if your ambition is do multi-day tours, I would suggest something smaller and shorter. For your length, something like 176cm and 90-100mm wide. Would make the spitzkehre a lot easier too!
ski holidays
Dynafit Manaslu
snow conditions
Urrgh, should not have started looking at skis. Sad
snow report
I do like the description of the down cd4s, anyone bought any of their skis before?
latest report
ractys, A few, more info here: http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=101332
snow conditions
Quote:
Do not buy without trying....
Mrs MA and I did Shocked. Bergmeister and his missus were kind enough to source and lug home from a Revelstoke trip two pairs of ex-hire Movement Iki touring skis (including Fritschi bindings and skins) for us. Great nick and at about £300 a pop just too good a bargain to miss. We've never looked back and in about two years have already had more than our money's worth. Maybe we were just lucky but it's worked out well enough.

I do think that once you start looking at ski specs it can become a mindblowing minefield. Before getting the Ikis, we'd hired on a couple of occasions for multi-day Alpine trips. Although we didn't have a clue and just got what we were given by the hire shop, we managed fine - although a super-fat pair that I had (marvellous for powder descents) were definitely heavier and harder work for the uphills. If any interest in ex-hire kit, there are a couple of shops in Aviemore that occasionally sell off their rental touring gear.

Meanwhile, this German website seems to have some decent kit at reduced prices: http://www.sport-conrad.com/ski_touring_skis/390/

Of course the other major factor is boots - where the trade off is that lighter tends to mean less performance-orientated for the downhills. My Garmont touring boots are as comfortable as a pair of slippers and great for uphills - but are nowhere near as stiff as my downhill boots. My first couple of turns are usually a shock to the system - but I soon get back into the swing.
latest report
1) I found this website which is useful for weights

http://www.evo.com/ski-binding-weight-chart-for-alpine-backcountry-bindings.aspx

What is interesting is that on the down website the 04 is 3600g per pair.
My intended binding is the dynafit speed radical (357 each).

So total weight (without boots) is 357+1800 = 2157g.

Last year I was touring, sometimes, with salomon guardian (1500g each!) + atomic theory (cant find the weight of these) , so it seems the benefit of the binding change outweighs the small differences between ski weight, at least from what I can see.

Anybody know what weight they used for longer (multiday) tours. Obviously its a trade off for energy/performance, but I just want to see whats normal, whats a bit heavy, and whats light.

2) I'd like to test, but my local rental shops aren't going to stock down skis, or many of the skis I am interested it, certainly not in a ready to go ski randonnee , which would be a good test. Maybe I should look at it the other way round and try what they have and if I like it buy it...
ski holidays
Bear in mind that with a dynafit binding you don't lift the full binding , just your boot pivoting around the 2 front pins and this makes a massive difference it's basically the difference of about 1kg boot weight. This means you can potentially look at a heavier ski if you dynafit. I m thinking I ll go for a down 2 and quiver killer for both my dynafits and marker dukes. All up weight on the dynafits will only be a few 100 grams more than a 4 equivalent. Also I m too heavy for a 4!
ski holidays
+1 for movement skis, can go proper randonee or middle of the road or proper chargers (but decent weight). Edge and wax have some cracking deals right now.

If looking at dyna/tech, give Plum Guides a look, awesome, dyna-style, bombproof binding. Have a pari of theses usually for use on a pair of movement sluffs, even tho the skis are a bit hefty for a binding like that, its been perfect for the kind of mixed touring/hacking about i mosttly do

Randonee skis well flimsy, you may not like them if you are more invested in the downward journey
snow report
+1 here for the Powd'air and dynafit combo. I run Radical STs and although heavier than the speeds, they have brakes...which, as Arno can testify, can be somewhat essential. The Powd'airs are relatively light given their stiffness and certainly aren't noodles. 100mm seems a good compromise to me, having used them to skin up in fresh powder, hard pack and special Lofoten snow. Particularly good on the way down; with a nice progressive flex, the typical 'spring' of other Scott skis and a decent backbone.
ski holidays
ractys,

As others have said - every set of skis is a compromise. I'm a little lighter than you and run two sets of touring skis 76mm and 90mm (although I'm planing to replace the 76mm with something around an 82mm waist). The wider skis have fairly floppy tips and tails = better powder performance but get thrown about in the crud. The new narrower skis will be stiffer to deal with harder conditions . In fresh snow / good conditions I take the wider skis but have the advantage that I drive to ski tours which are circa 2 hours drive from where I live so can make a decision when I get there depending on how much sniw is on the ground.

At your weight if you are looking at one pair of skis to do it all (and can only take one pair of skis on each trip) then I'd point you in the direction of a 90 to 95 mm waisted ski. A heavier person (circa 100kg) would probably be better on 100 to 115 mm waisted skis.

If you go too heavy and are in a group with people whose fitness is far better than yours (e.g. a group of locals) you could end up knackering yourself out so much that your skiing suffers on the downhill.

I think you are going in the right direction with dynafit bindings but think you should also consider saving weight on your boots if possible. Saving weight on bindings & boots (lightweight but stiff boots) means you can get away with a heavier ski.

Many good skis have already been mentioned in this thread, Volkl have a high P4P (Performance per pound weight). The K2 Wayback is a much loved allround touring ski.

When listening to opinions on skis I find it's better to know - what weight / skiing level is the skier? What terrain do they normally ski (e.g. a ski for wide open bowls with champage powder may not be the best ski for European crud in the trees). I suspect our west coast American cousins see lighter powder and so generally go for wider skis to give them more float than our European neighbours. IMHO TGR & Wildsnow tend to go a bit fatter than European ski tourers. Austrian / German touring ski reviews tend to focus on a slightly narrower waisted ski as the optimum (e.g. circa 90mm Europe v circa 110mm West Coast USA). If you live local, can pick your days and have a quiver then a 110mm waisted ski will provide more grins in the right conditions but at your weight I wouldn't plug for such a wide ski as a one pair ski solution.
snow conditions
^ plenty of stiff 90-100 skis out there, that wil bust crud, no need to compromise down to skiinnies (randonnee aside)
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy