Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Anyone interested in a fitness motivation thread?

Poster: A snowHead
Most of mine are a little rude so I don't use them here - see how nice I am
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Ian Hopkinson,
Quote:

I might of told him how to put them into posts

You therefore stand convicted of providing Scarpa, with the ability to inflict endless smileys upon other snowHead Laughing
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
snowbunny, I mis-read that as "smellies", personally I think hibernia is the greater risk snowHead Laughing
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Back to the fitness you pair
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I have never worked out how to put smileys into posts being semi computer illiterate. Can't spell or type very well either, which makes me appear possibly accurately semi literate anyway.

Back to fitness:
Ray Zorro,
Quote:

Fitness motivation is an excellent idea, where can I get some from?

General idea is that you write down what you intend to do in the following day/ week or whatever then post back to say whether or not you have done it thus inviting gasps of astonishment , ridicule , flaming, approbation or whatever.

CP,
Impressed with the running, I am lucky as I can see reasonably well in the dark so I take a torch to run on the local footpaths and can usually do without even in the dark, and prefer it to running during the day. The trouble for me is getting round to doing it.
I don't like gyms in general but use the local council one where you don't have to commit to expensive membership and the atmosphere is definitely non posey. It usually gets a bit busy after New Year when all the resolutions start for a month and then quietens down again.

Paul Mason,
I am deeply impressed with your efforts.
crazy_skier_jules,
Why not promise yourself a gym visit after xhours of work and look on it as a reward or is this just a bit too virtuous?

Anyway,
Last week I managed a couple of gentle runs and one gym visit where I peddled on a bike for a while and tried to do some core work for my back.

Next week plan is 2 runs and 2 gym visits

Good luck to everyone with their exercising and hope it goes well and you enjoy it..
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Just been to the gym for a couple of hours, to work off the effects of too much beer. Was planning on going this morning, but took until 3pm to feel ok.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
srobbo wrote:
Just been to the gym this evening, first time this week, so spent 1.5hrs on cardio.

Shocked Shocked I find the cardio stuff at the gym so boring! I only manage the gym twice a week and stay for 50 mins. 15-20 mins warm up cardio work and then the rest on resistance machines or squats/lunges, mat exercises etc. Plus 40 mins squash on a Sunday. I know any exercise is better than none but wondering if I should up the pace - any snowheads opinions?
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Re join gym tommorrow. Goal is to be below 18st for half term and below 17st for EOSB. Mrs FTS has suggest leg amputation could be the only way to achieve this.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
bella wrote:,
Quote:

I find the cardio stuff at the gym so boring!

Yes it can be, the gym has now got tv screens on all the cardio equipment, so no fighting over what you are watching. My plan at the moment is to time gym visits, to coincide with something decent on the box. Watching 45mins of football on a treadmill or bike isnt that bad.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Frosty the Snowman, the key is in the food. I reckon if you eat what you want and attend the gym you will lose weight but how quickly ? I now eat about five times a day and have lost a substantial amount in a month and only started back at the gym in the last week.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Paul Mason, a few years back our local squash club was sold to a health club, and closed for refurbishment. Although I didn't play squash I did attend 3 step aerobics classes there each week. As I couldn't find any replacement classes, I joined a slimming world group instead and lost 1.5 stone. I then rejoined the gym and stopped the slimming class. I regained the weight despite the exercise.
Hubby eats and drinks what he pleases and stays exactly the same, but he plays squash at least 3 times per week.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I have the same problem with enthusiasm regarding gym cardio work. 20 mins is enough for me. But mountin biking across deserted winter moors - can do 3 hours of that and if my legs had any strength left I'd do more. Shame it's 50 mins uphill to get to the b*ggers though Confused
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Scarpa, I hate gyms, I would rather go out for a jog in the wind and rain than run on a treadmill like a hampster in a wheel.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Been to gym, ran like hampster on wheel! Shocked
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Ian Hopkinson,
Quote:

hampster

Is that a relative of a hamster? Laughing
BTW Well done!
snow report
I think all the treadmills are connected to the national grid and that all the leisure companys are using us as a source of power, and chargeing us to do it!
snow conditions
snowbunny,
Quote:

Ian Hopkinson, Quote:

hampster

Is that a relative of a hamster?

That is my post glass of red wine spelling, I'm not sure what Ian Hopkinson's excuse is wink
snow report
It's a question of habitat, hampsters are native to gyms and are found running on treadmills, climbing on steppers and so forth - their close relation, the hamster, is found in cages and (opulent) plastic hamster palaces. wink
snow report
I have a hamster one but it's not on yels
latest report
Scarpa, Is that mistermouse? Have you ever been on Planet Smiley, I tried but couldn't get it to work?
snow report
IncogSkiSno, uncanny i have just got back from the gym and i did a spin class Shocked
latest report
treadmills are boring, get out on the streets.. yesterday was a beautiful day for a run to tower bridge n back ... today is looking somewhat grimmer, but then thats all part of the challenge right? an ipod or similar can take the edge of the tedium..
also as we approach december its the ideal time to get training.. everyone else is gettting drunk at christmas do's with all the ohter part time drinkers.. not only are the gyms empty you also get extra motivation by seeing your work colleagues in all sorts of trouble with hangovers while you feel great .. then come january you are at peak fitness and can head off sking while eveyone else slobs off down the gym having left it far too late to get into shape for the slopes Cool
ski holidays
Quote:

General idea is that you write down what you intend to do in the following day/ week or whatever then post back to say whether or not you have done it thus inviting gasps of astonishment , ridicule , flaming, approbation or whatever.

OK, thanks for that T-bar.

Right, I hereby declare that over the next week the exercise that I shall commit to doing will be:
I shall go for a slow jog today, play squash (weds), ski (thurs), ski (fri), jog (sat), jog (sun), jog (mon).
snow conditions
Ray Zorro, You must have got out of bed on the good side this morning, sounds like a good active week
ski holidays
Ray Zorro,
Quote:

Right, I hereby declare that over the next week the exercise that I shall commit to doing will be:
I shall go for a slow jog today, play squash (weds), ski (thurs), ski (fri), jog (sat), jog (sun), jog (mon).Tue Nov 15, 05 7:51

Just incase you try to delete any of the above I now have my own copy. Laughing

That's alot of jogging. Shocked I am going jogging today, in the Forest - no stupid machines! I hope to go again this week sometime, but it's down to finding someone to go with. I am still doing my crunchies and squats everyday. Might go to the gym or restart yoga, but as I teach gymnastics I get to do a couple of stretch warmups a week anyway.
latest report
IncogSkiSno, I like jogging. I used to like running, but I couldn't classify it as that now. What really annoys me is when those little old ladies try to force their way past me, I usually get tangled up in their zimmer frames. rolling eyes They can just be soooo impatient sometimes.
latest report
Wow. I realise how unfit that I am. A couple of days of skiing has highlighted that a week would be a painful experience. I think I shall step up the muscle building exercises as well as the cardio-vascular.
snow report
Ray Zorro, Are you back now?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
IncogSkiSno, yes, back now, it was only a quickie, out on thursday morning back on friday evening. A day and a half of skiing.
latest report
Ray Zorro,
Glad to hear you had a good time in Austria. Have you managed any of your jogs?

bella,
Quote:

I know any exercise is better than none but wondering if I should up the pace - any snowheads opinions?

I profess no expertise on the matter but it sounds like you will be fitter than most when you arrive. Whether it is enough depends on what you want to do I guess. Certainly some people I ski with I need a far lower level of fitness to enjoy myself than with others.

Frosty the Snowman,
Quote:

Re join gym tommorrow. Goal is to be below 18st for half term and below 17st for EOSB. Mrs FTS has suggest leg amputation could be the only way to achieve this.

Any progress? With weight loss I am told it is important to advance in manageable steps may I suggest that you should try amputating one toe at a time.

My own Progress: Well I have managed two decent if slow runs and one gym visit in which I seemed to have no energy so I need one more gym visit today or tomorrow to complete my week.

Good Luck all snowHead snowHead
snow report
Well you stirred me into action....I have been flat out in the kitchen on a health food kick - Italian food is supposed to be very healthy. so I've done, prima pattie...parma ham and melon with marianated roasted vegetables.
secondi pattie...king prawns in Italian brandy and cream
....spagetti carbonnara
....Triamasu
Cheers!Smile
latest report
Lorraine, What a nasty post - I have just been out for over hour running in the freezing cold and get home to find no sign of food being prepared and I am starving - then I see the above.

All I can say is Enjoy!!
snow report
Well I've been to gym today for a body assessment and CV induction...
Good news is that while my fat composition is the high side of average - its not obese - so I wasn't as bad as I thought...
Water content is good - my fluids are above average
BMI is 27 which is overweight - but its pretty achievable to get it back below 25
So today I did 30 mins high intensity CV work, and 30 mins weight/resistance work.
My intention is to go 3 times a week
Have also booked a goal setting session with the 'skiing and boarding' expert at the gym for next week

And finally - my turn to make tea - and I'm doing a relatively healthy one - tomato ciabatta bread and nutricious soup, pudding instead of being something really calorific is going to be mango & apple with honey!!!!!

Guys keep doing the training - season is fast approaching!
latest report
Well I've been to gym today for a body assessment and CV induction...
Good news is that while my fat composition is the high side of average - its not obese - so I wasn't as bad as I thought...
Water content is good - my fluids are above average
BMI is 27 which is overweight - but its pretty achievable to get it back below 25
So today I did 30 mins high intensity CV work, and 30 mins weight/resistance work.
My intention is to go 3 times a week
Have also booked a goal setting session with the 'skiing and boarding' expert at the gym for next week

And finally - my turn to make tea - and I'm doing a relatively healthy one - tomato ciabatta bread and nutricious soup, pudding instead of being something really calorific is going to be mango & apple with honey!!!!!

Guys keep doing the training - season is fast approaching!
snow report
I am going to the gym three or four times a week for between 60 - 90 minutes. Feel alot better for it. In fact, today I could buy new gear which is a size smaller than that used at the EOSB.

I nearly bought some dbiggins pea green salopettes !! Nearly but not quite.
ski holidays
Paul Mason, "today I could buy new gear which is a size smaller than that used at the EOSB"
have your feet shrunk? been out on the mountain bike yesterday (very cold toes) and am doing a spin class followed by weights tonight.I'm trying to go at least 3 times a week ,i have a whole summer of low activity to get rid of Sad
snow report
Congratulations to all those exercising, you know it makes sense rolling eyes

Last week intention was 2 runs and 2 gym visits. Didn't have time for second gym vist so three runs instead and one gym visit.

This week intention is same as last week and walking up the stairs to work which as I am on about the 12th floor is not a joke to do all the time. snowHead snowHead
ski holidays
Two runs last week of just over 6 miles each, not enough really but it will have to do as I can't run around here in the dark.

Have taken Thursday afternoon off to do my last run before the 'RNLI Run up to Christmas 10k' being held at Moors Valley Country Park, near Ringwood in the New Forest on Sunday. Anybody else here taking part by any chance?

Joining a gym is looking like a possibility to get me through the rest of the winter - but I do really hate them.
ski holidays
The ski season must be nearly upon us, I thought about using the Gym on Sunday, but the lure of an afternnon off work a nice warm fire and the Sunday paper's was too great SadI'll start next week definitely!
snow report
Had a lovely cycle in the woods on sunday, spin class + weights yesterday and am planning on going night riding on thursday , must remember to charge the lights up.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy