Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Anyone interested in a fitness motivation thread?

Poster: A snowHead
I tried skipping today....bl00dy hard work...think I'll stick to the bike
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Struggled to get motivated during the last week, but more than made up at the weekend. Gym friday night, skied for 4 hours saturday, then 2 hours in the gym in evening. (followed by beer - thought i deserved one). Then another 2 hours in the gym today. Pretty tired now.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thought I'd drag this one up again, seeing as I've just got motivated to join the gym - AND have actually been 3 times! Little Angel

In a bored moment at work, I devised a 3 day routine - assuming I'll go 3 times a week, for about 3/4 of an hour to an hour each time. I think this is a realistic assessment of how much time I'll spend there.

Day 1 - focus on cardio work/interval training - plus abs exercises & core muscle work.
Day 2 - focus on lower body, 15 mins cardio warm-up then mat exercises for gluteals & adductors plus squats/lunges. Some resistance equipment for leg curls/extensions.
Day 3 - focus on upper body, 15 mins cardio warm-up then abs exercises, triceps raises, free (light!) weights & some resistance equipment.

Plus of course stretches after.

This is to try to get some interest & variety into going to the gym rolling eyes But is this good to concentrate on one area like this? Would I be better mixing it up? What do you do at the gym?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
In the gym I tend to stick to pretty much the same stuff. Depends on how my knees are feeling.

Usually start on the bike for 20 minutes, if I''ve got lots of time will then do 15 minutes on rower, then a few weights, then treadmill for 20-40 minutes depending on time/knees. Then 2/3 sets of abs exercises.

Also do 2 circuits sessions a week which is a bit more fun. Sometimes do an abs class. Occasionly do pilates but that's more because my mate does it than feeling I get much out of it.

I used to swim quite a lot but am now in the gym instead as the pool usually has slow people or classes of some sort going on.

I did a 10k run yesterday and I think I may have talked myself into doing a triathlon later in the year.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I find that long distant walking is the key to a good fitness regime.

I did a 2 day hike around the Langdale Pikes this weekend, with another jaunt up Helvellyn planned for next month; and then i'm doing the Yorkshire 3 Peaks Challenge in Sept for charity again. It forces me to keep that fitness level up and helps break the monotony of it all. You get wonderful views thrown in too.

Plus it uses a lot of the same muscles as skiing.

I double up with a few exersises Warren Smith taught us the other week at one of his sessions at Xscape, and i walk home from work as often a possible.

Get out of your cars and onto your feet is my advice Smile
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
cathy, Try a few of the classes as well, once you found some you like they help alot to keep you motivated as you make friends with others in the class.
The problem is with a regular routine is boredom so I would say set one up with a time span of 2-3 months. Then review it at the end. If you find it is boring or your atendence has dropped ask the staff for alternatives then reset your routine for the next few months.
3-4 times a week is good. 3/4 of an hour will soon pass quickly after a week or 2 I think you will want longer, especially if you include suna time Smile

Ski Bat, I use to love walking the hills, dont know how I let it slip away from me. I did the yorkshire 3 peaks a good number of years ago.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Ski Bat, I really like walking, especially over hills. However, Mr has really poor ankles which give him a lot of pain if he walks up or downhill or even just flat walking (his excuse!) so I haven't done any of this for ages. Very envious of your keep-fit regime though!

hels_t, Nick_C, I do prefer classes, which is where I've pinched most of my exercises from. Howver I've joined a very low-cost gym (£22/month no minimum contract period) which doesn't have classes, saunas or video rentals! It does have quite a lot of unused equipment though and never seems to be too busy, well the times I go anyway. Reviewing the routine after a few months is a good idea - boredom is my prob at the gym, which is why 3/4 hour/hour is really my max. I especially find the boredom really sets in on the cardio machines - I find I'm just watching the seconds count down - bad move! Interval training helps the time go though.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
cathy wrote:
Ski Bat, I especially find the boredom really sets in on the cardio machines - I find I'm just watching the seconds count down - bad move! Interval training helps the time go though.

This is my problem to, I hate the running machines can only do about 30 minutes before I have to get off.
One way I found to combat it is using a mp3 player which I change the songs on it regularly which I don’t play at home so I can only listen to them at the gym.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
gyms ? fitness ? walking ?

you are all mad I tell you !
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Nick_C, I can only do 30 mins before I fall off!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
For those interested in treadmill running check this out.

http://www.bofunk.com/video/538/treadmill_bear.html

Enjoy Twisted Evil
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
very funny stocky, Very Happy
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Nick_C wrote:
I hate the running machines can only do about 30 minutes before I have to get off.

Only?? Shocked 20 mins is about my max!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Strangely, I've had more pulls/strains on the treadmill than picking my way over tree roots and puddles and vaulting stiles on my favourite cross-country routes. I tend to avoid it now, and do weights and swimming at the gym.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
laundryman, wahey! I haven't pulled at the gym yet, but it is early days wink
ski holidays
cathy, you need lessons from saxabar Laughing Laughing
snow report
this thread is too long to read all of it so i apologise if this has been covered.

what about hiking? Is that good or not??

I used to run 5 to 10k cross country till i tried to break my ankle a couple of years back. i reinjured it just after the season ended running......so no more running for me!

I ride my bike but that is more a get to work type thing!

what i have to do everyday is walk the dog! So we've been hiking for 2-3 hours per day.

is it going to help me loose weight? we started this week with it, now my ankle is back to coping with impact!

thanking you muchly
ski holidays
snowangel., If you are looking to loose weight, get on yer bike!

IMO walking won't shed the pounds as quickly, 2/3 hours on the bike will get you (and the dog) fitter and thinner quicker.
ski holidays
2-3hrs per day on a bike? Jesus you'll have rugby player legs soon enough! 30 mins is quite enough
latest report
snowangel. wrote:
this thread is too long to read all of it so i apologise if this has been covered.

what about hiking? Is that good or not??

I did suggest that earlier in this thread but i'm glad you brought it back up. I also suggest that people get out of their cars when possible and walk.

Good for you and good for the planet... and we need the planet to be in good shape if we want to keep skiing on it.
snow report
marc gledhill, i'd love to walk the dog while i'm on the bike, it dont work, all she wants to do is eat the bike
she is the same if we skateboard or even snowboard with her.

in short she is a pain in the butt!!

i do cycle but i dont have the time to spend 2/3 hours per day on a bike, far tooo many responsibilities inclucing work starting monday! 2 kids, 1 husband, 1 dog and 1 chalet to look after all kind of adds up!

luckily i've not that much too loose to be back where i should be which is a nice and lovely size 10! 12 are still too big on me thank god but 10's are a little toooo small.

will try to go out more on me bike!
latest report
snowangel., try going faster wink
snow report
marc gledhill, yeh i here you but it just dont work! plus i've had complaints from locals when we tried it last year. complaints about a pit bull chasing bikers!!! got hauled into the old bill and everything, had to prove that she isn't a pit bul and that we were walking her she wasnt chasing any bikes!

i'll hike with her for 2/3 hours then go on my bike! Or maybe after i bike to work, work, then go bike before going home.

the going home bit is really hard when you consider that the village i live in is at 1350 and we live at 1450! nice hill to cycle up!
latest report
marc gledhill wrote:

IMO walking won't shed the pounds as quickly

Actually walking is good for losing weight if done for a period time which you are snowangel.

There was an artical in runners world magazine which did a load of tests against running, swimming & Walking and walking came out better than expected, so keep it up Smile Mybe add a few runs in now and again.

I will try and find it online to post the link up.
latest report
The best plan is to walk when you might otherwise eat. wink
snow conditions
Nick_C, i would love to run again but every time i do i injure myself! probably my own fault as i hate treadmills (plus i cant afford a gym, plus when you live here it seems not right to excersise inside!) and i find road running to hard on my ankles, my love is cross country.

thanks for the advice about walking, we do do it up hill mostly (many good mountain hikes here) and we try and make them at least 2 hours long if we have the time. I normally take the dog out for a 3/4 hour stroll round the back garden, well its the mountain but we call it the back garden and that is mainly up hill!

laundryman, that is the best bit of advice i've had in ages and so so true!
latest report
snowangel., Location: serre chevalier

I skiied there 4 years ago and if the black run down into the village is what you walk up then you have my support, it's a steep bug NehNeh
snow report
Nick_C,
i have walked up the luc (said black run) but mostly we hike the Granon (oposite the pisted side of the mountain) or hike various other mountains in the area, there are just so many wicked hikes to choose from

going to cycle back from the lauteret this pm, its too hot to do it during the day.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Played squash yesterday morning - and I'm gradually seizing up during the day. It's all I can do to click on snowHeads! Shocked
snow report
cathy, remember a good stretch after a good work out.
The next day go for a brisk walk/small workout to stretch again with a little work will stop you getting as stiff.
ski holidays
You're probably right - I always stretch properly after going to the gym, but when I finish squash its just rackets down and out the door. Haven't played for a few months now & I'm feeling muscles I didn't know I had. Why, even when its just a knock-about, do blokes always have to be so competitive and win??
latest report
I let ladies win.... If I want to score later wink
snow conditions
Nick_C, Laughing Laughing
latest report
Nick_C, wondered why zero = "love". wink
ski holidays
Gym starts again this week after 6 months off due to hernia. No weight added after lying around for eight weeks.
snow report
Ooooh - good luck with that Smokin Joe!
snow report
Smokin Joe, your my hero Wink
snow report
Charlatanefc, I'll make slimming world magazine if its the last thing I do.

Forget about eosb races or winning skis - thats for saddo's. My aim is to be in the magazine - before and after photos ! Very Happy
latest report
Smokin Joe, Before and after what? wink
snow report
Frosty the Snowman, chicken tikka rogan josh. Very Happy
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy