Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Reasonably cheap piste orientated skis (for BASI)

Poster: A snowHead
On the lookout for some cheapish skis that would be suitable for BASI level 2.

I guess about 170(ish)cm in length and 70-80mm underfoot. Secondhand would be fine. Any recommendations would be welcome as I have not been in the market for piste skis for a few years.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
There's an article in the latest BASI news 110 with a list of skis for L2
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Salomon 24 Hrs (1) or Atomic TI GS (2) - Can use these for L3 too.

I did my L2 on Atomic D2 Slalom 165s which worked well for piste performance and central theme demos

Congrats on passing L1 btw! Smile
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I have some second hand salomon 3v's that i'm selling in a 165cm they are like new and was looking for £350 for them!
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Head Titan or Magnum....depending on your weight!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Aren't BASI running some events at indoor slopes with demos on pro deal skis?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
BASI = Buy Another Ski I deserve it
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
fatbob, only one pair? wink

Elston, Titans are very popular with guys on BASI courses.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
fatbob wrote:
BASI = Buy Another Ski I deserve it

flowa is lol Very Happy But, to be fair all my skis (cough, cough ... that would be 5 pairs) are centre mounted twin tips.

Head do seem to get a lot of recommendations.

Kitenski, I am about 75kg.

If possible I would be looking at about £300 (inc bindings) as an upper price limit. So, that might rule out a few models but hopefully get something for about that.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Wrong account Elston?
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
little ms spock wrote:
Wrong account Elston?

lol. Flowa is my own real-life sock puppet.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
flowa, I'm 78kg and ski the 170cm Titan....think it's a great ski!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
kitenski, A slalom ski then??????????????? Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
skimastaaah, nope!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Elston, I have a pair of HEAD iTitan with Freeflex Pro14 Bindings, 2013 model, 177cm, 4 days use, I'd sell them for £300.
Also have a pair of 163cm with Freeflex Pro12 Bindings, same 4 days use, £300 also.

Both fantastic condition.
latest report
I've been thinking of getting some new skis for doing my BASI exams as my touring skis (K2 Backups) probably aren't the best tools for the job, and the iTitans come highly recommended. I'm just a little uncertain about sizing. I'm 5'9" (175cm) but only weigh 60kg.

What would people's thoughts & advice be?

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Thu 15-08-13 13:16; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
I think people worry too much about having the right skis for BASI courses. If your technique is right you'll be fine on pretty much anything as long as it has been reasonably well serviced. What's wrong with the skis you've got? New skis might make it all a bit easier I'm sure but given the choice and the time I reckon most would get a better increase in performance through extra training rather than extra skis.
latest report
Spyderman, I will send you a PM later about the titans. That's a great price for basically new with the right binding. In fact, on second thoughts I will (edit: might as they could be a touch too long) take them!
Might want to consider which would be better choice of the two sizes but I guess 177?

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Thu 15-08-13 13:34; edited 2 times in total
snow report
kieranm, problem for Elston is that all his skis are center-mounted park skis that are detuned for rails. That's why he's looking for some piste skis - nothing to do with worries about technique. You can't demo well for others (assessors) with twin tips.
snow conditions
kieranm, yeah I totally agree but as flowa says it's the "well serviced" part that I don't have. Not that the servicing part really matters too much.

I have been thinking about getting something directional since the eosb where there were demo skis to try. I have grown accustomed to having centre mounted skis and it was fun to try something different for a change. So, it would be nice to have something different that would also, as a secondary consideration, be good for basi
snow conditions
Elston, good price from Spyderman on the Titans bite his arm off... 163 is too short for you... the 177s may be a touch long but your a strong skier and they would be great for training and exams...
ski holidays
skimottaret wrote:
Elston, good price from Spyderman on the Titans bite his arm off... 163 is too short for you... the 177s may be a touch long but your a strong skier and they would be great for training and exams...

Thanks mate. It's a shame as the best size for me would probably be the 170's. Will have to think about it.
I am 5'10" and about 75kg.
snow report
kieranm, no sure I agree. Loads of folk on "fat" skis on my L2 were advised (strongly) to get on narrower skis to ensure a pass...especially for shorts and longs

abd, given your lighter weight I am wondering if Spyderman, 163cm would suit, however I'd get a second opinion!! skimottaret, thoughts???
latest report
small pedantic aside as it's coming up a bit in this thread (and others):
Your skis are .... (posessive)
You're strong/lighter ... (contraction of "you are")

Sorry, couldn't help myself but I hope it's helpful. .... slinks off
snow conditions
Thanks kitenski, hopefully skimottaret can give me his opinion. My alternative (to the Backups) is to use the rental skis at Castleford which don't generally meet the criteria of being:

Quote:
reasonably well serviced
ski holidays
Elston wrote:
skimottaret wrote:

Thanks mate. It's a shame as the best size for me would probably be the 170's. Will have to think about it.
I am 5'10" and about 75kg.

I'm 182cm and 82kg, so not much in it.
snow conditions
Spyderman, are both sets yours? If so, what's the reason for the 2 different lengths?
latest report
abd, 177 are mine, 163 are Kitty's
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Elston, I would think the 170 is probably right for you but what did your trainer say you needed to work on for L2? was it your shorts , longs ? if longs the length will help, Remember at L2 you will be assessed on off piste and bumps as well... by memory Rob is on 170's and he is about your stamp. my daughter on 163 but shorter and lighter.

abd drives me nuts watching L1 candidates on floppy rental skis skidding all over the place. Hire a decent set for your course, don't know castleford but do they have a demo pool you could try to see what you like. One of my FastTrack trainees got some decent skis over the weekend midday from Snow and Rock on site at Hemel and his short turns improved immediately and he is probably at L1 standard now.

at L2 i would say most decent piste performance / all mountain skis are fine as long as they aren't too wide, (no twin tips) and are serviced before the course and perferebly over the weekend midway. At L3 a high performance ski that is set up and maintained over the course is very important and at L4 daily servicing and set up are vital.
snow report
skimottaret, would spydermans 163s be ok for abd for L1 and L2? He's 5ft 9 but doesn't eat enough pies and is only 60kg!!

Alternatively he can borrow my 165cm Storm slalom skis...

Elston, I'm 5ft 10" and 78kg, the 170s were good for me....this is L2 variables...on 170cm Titans!

http://youtube.com/v/cZ10oyaO0zg

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Thu 15-08-13 16:02; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
Quote:

at L2 i would say most decent piste performance / all mountain skis are fine as long as they aren't too wide, (no twin tips) and are serviced before the course and perferebly over the weekend midway

skimottaret puts what I was trying to say far more clearly.

Elston, I'd forgotten you were skiing twin-tips, it does make sense now.

Those on the L1 course last week skiing on rentals would all I think have improved more from spending £300 on training than £300 on new skis (and I think 4 out of 5 on those rentals passed), but that is for L1 where the demands are much lower.

For me it is the time for more training that is the limiting factor (I must confess to having a new pair of skis on order!), and I'm now starting to wonder about the tradeoff and return from time spent training on skis vs time spent training on fitness and balance.
ski holidays
Quote:

would spydermans 163s be ok for abd for L1 and L2? He's 5ft 9 but doesn't eat enough pies and is only 60kg!!

I hope so, as I'm a similar build and have those on order. But I've always preferred a ski that is slightly on the "short" side so I'm sure others might disagree.
snow report
abd, sorry haven't seen you ski so don't want to make any suggestions but would say if you don't buy perhaps hiring a pair would be sensible.

kieranm, what do you believe will hold you back more, your fitness levels or your skiing ability. You seem in good shape but perhaps a more skiing specific training programme at lower volumes would help and use the time to go skiing ! I wouldn't advocate spending 300 on some skis prior to an L1 as a magic bullet over the same amount on training but if you consider yourself good enough and experienced enough to be a professional instructor and you don't own your own skis/ boots or rock up on crap hire skis that are dull kinda begs the question how serious you are... (that isn't something Trainers look for at L1 just my opinion)
ski holidays
I was advised by HEAD to err on going slightly longer with the iTitans, I'll be on my third set come the winter, I love them. They didn't get the use last season, spent too much time getting my dive qualifications, plus snow was so epic I used my Motorhead Rock n' Roll skis most of the time, hence the 4 days use only.
snow report
kieranm, for the basi 1, I was on 163cm rentals. Hemel have a few slightly better rentals than the average ones and they were absolutely fine. If it was boiler plate ice then I would say you need something better but honestly I would say that any ordinary ski is fine for level 1. The equipment you use is far less important than technique and attitude.

My feedback was centered around demonstrating more vertical movement and my hand position - not letting them drop.

Spyderman, I am thinking that 177 might be a bit big for me since they will have a lot more up front than I'm used to. If it's okay to pause this, I'd like to demo some next time I'm at HH (next couple of weeks) before leaping in. Is there anything similar at snow and rock or as flowa is telling me in the instructor pool of skis? I don't necessarily have to demo the exactly the same skis to get the feel for what that ski length is like.
snow report
Elston, S&R are doing a demo pool of new skis , £15 a day and you r can try two per day i believe. You get a store credit for every 15 quid session (not sure if just for skis or anything in store) be an idea to try em out first.
ski holidays
*thinks.................... 7cms is just about 2 and 3/4 inches. ie............... 1 and 3/4 inches on the front of the ski....... plus 1 inch at the back of the ski...........*

7........ yes SEVEN centimetres................. and Elston, you're doing your L2????????????????????

FFS........... the Titans in 177 are perfect! rolling eyes
latest report
skimastaaah, I think you may have forgotten to take the difference between a centre mounting into account. It's going to be more like 10-12cm and as it's going to be his only piste ski, he wants to be sure it's "the right one".
snow conditions
Elston, Let me know when you want to have a test and I'll bring them to Hemel, what boot size are you?
snow report
Quote:

kieranm, what do you believe will hold you back more, your fitness levels or your skiing ability. You seem in good shape but perhaps a more skiing specific training programme at lower volumes would help and use the time to go skiing !

Getting a bit off topic for Elston's query, but the honest answer to your question is probably "both". I have a pretty good pathway mapped out for improving my skiing technique but until recently haven't really given much thought to the fitness side and I can see that this will start to limit me at L3 and above if I don't start doing something about it now. So I'm hoping not to reduce my on-snow training time, but I'm realising that if I have goals to progress beyond L2 I have to supplement that with some fairly serious fitness training, and wondering where I'm going to find the time for that.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy