Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Could be going again.....but need help as to where.

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,

We have been to Les Menuires a couple of times and really like the blue/green runs.

Me and one of my boys attempted a red (Jerusalem) and it was a bit much for us.

We are looking at a different resort but would like blues/greens and as many of them as possible.

So what are the suggestions please?

I have looked at Alpe D'Huez, what are the "outlying" villages like to stay in?

My wife is a non skier so her being able to get around on some lifts is essential.

Thanks muchly

Gary
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Somewhere in Italy definitely
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Wengen for access by non skiers. Holland wink if Jerusalem is too steep.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Lechbob, that's why I suggested Italy. But your suggestion even better
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I can recommend valmorel and les saisies although I don't know about the access for non skiers. Pam w is our resident les saisies expert so she will know which lifts you can travel on as a non skier. there is a valmorel expert on snowheads too (although not sure if he has been around through the summer)

I can thoroughly recommend both of them for nice wide easy blues. I think for km of piste, the espace diamant (les saisies) has the edge but certainly for skiing you can't go wrong. With valmorel if you stayed in the Francois de long champ area although it isn't as pretty, there are lots more green runs. I have this trouble every year looking for a resort with lots of blues as I'm a nervous skier and those two have done the job. We are going to la tania this year and I was looking forward to trying the Jerusalem run as I had heard good reports about it being wide and fairly easy for a red. What did you not like about it?
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks for feedback so far.

Jerusalem, once down the initial drop at the top, flattens out to a tough blue IMO, this was ok. It was the initial drop that was more of a 45 degree descent that put us both off.

I enjoy most things but like to stay within my limits, give me a blue/green anyday and I'm happy.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Have a look at La Plagne, it's full of blue runs that should suit.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
GaryCantley, if you have been skiing several times but don't enjoy reds, it sounds as though you ought to get some more lessons. How many lessons have you had? Wherever you go, until you can cope happily with reds, you will be missing out on lots of good terrain.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
GaryCantley wrote:
I enjoy most things but like to stay within my limits, give me a blue/green anyday and I'm happy.

Gary, Start to ski with a group of more experienced skiers. I've been skiing 2-3 times a season for the past 9 years, most of which I spent on my own skiing Greens and Blues, Reds and Blacks were no go for me as they looked like certain death Smile but 2 years ago I started going on the Snowhead bashes, and while I'm still no gnarly skier, I honestly look at most red's now and they feel no steeper than Greens run used..
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
pamw and Kelv1n.

I believe you have hit the nail on the head.

I have not had many lessons, all those I have had were on dry slopes, havent had one in resort.

Those lessons I have managed have been few and far between, I'm a keen dinghy sailor which takes most of my summer/autumn.

After next weekend I'll hopefully have a little bit more time so will try and get some more lessons in.

In the meantime, I'll have a look at La Plagne but please keep the other suggestions coming in.

Thanks

Gary
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
GaryCantley, resorts vary quite a lot in terms of the quality of ski tuition you can get. It might be worth looking for somewhere where you can join a small English-speaking group. For example, if you look at the website of the British Alpine Ski School (BASS) you will see the resorts where they work. A few people can kind of "teach themselves" to ski well but most of us need lots of lessons. It wouldn't be a bad idea to focus your next trip on improving your skiing, maybe lessons in the morning and then having a free ski in the afternoon to practise what you have learnt. The longer you go without lessons, the more ingrained the bad habits become!

Les Gets would be a good resort for your needs and there is a branch of BASS there. There really isn't a lot of point going to a huge area such as Paradiski or the 3 Valleys if you can only ski a fraction of the slopes - smaller resorts will tend to be a bit cheaper.

BASS lessons, in small groups, are expensive, though very good. An alternative would be to go to a smaller resort where private lessons are affordable and where you could have family lessons (how old are the kids?) together. for example, I arranged 5 x 2 hour private lessons for 4 kids last winter, at about the same cost as group lessons. They got on very well indeed.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Gary, if I was you I would get some recommendations on here for instructors and get some private lessons booked. A couple of 2 hour slots would be enough IMO.

ADH would suit IMO, we stay in Oz-en-Oisans. Nice village and easy access to the slopes. Your missus can get the cable car up and walk around. Does she need a pool and lots of shops, or is she happy to stick mostly to the accomodation?

How many boys do you have? Are they going on this trip?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
GaryCantley, I would second pam w, suggestion of Les Gets as meeting your needs. ( by the way are you by any chance the Norfolk based Gary Cantley?)
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
GaryCantley, I can also recommend Alpe D'Huez - I went in February for my first skiing holiday (after lessons/practice in the UK), so obviously have nothing to compare it with, but there are plenty of lovely blue runs to get around on, plus lots of reds when/if you do feel like trying them. There is a huge 'bowl' of green runs right above the main resort, which was brilliant for me to get my confidence up at the beginning of the holiday. We were staying in the main resort but some of my favourite runs were going towards (or in) the outlying areas such as Oz and Vaujany - nice scenic places and I am sure they would be really pleasant to stay in.

I'd consider Masterclass for lessons if you stay there and decide to have some (I agree with others' comments that you would benefit from this - my lessons in resort were invaluable and very enjoyable). I had 3 mornings of small group lessons (only 3 people, so quite personalised) with Stuart Adamson and found him excellent - he does private lessons too. There are a few reviews of Masterclass on this site and I booked with them following the recommendations I'd read here.

We chose ADH for several reasons, one being that there were things to do for non-skiers (such as swimming pool/ice rink/leisure centre) and having never been skiing before, the idea of having these options appealed to me - as it turned out, I became completely addicted to skiing so can't comment on these facilities as I didn't use them! The swimming pool did look lovely, though Smile
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
urg... Lets Gets...
ski holidays
GaryCantley, I admit to scanning this thread but I can't see when you are planning on going? Crucial to recommendations, especially if you want to book quality lessons which need to be done well in advance (one British owned ski school in Les Gets has been accepting bookings since late spring for next season and French schools will start checking emails September time IME). Not such an issue if you are avoiding school hols.
ski holidays
marmotte16, what a good question - we were all a bit dopey not to ask before!
snow report
Kevinrhead, Is there another GC then Smile Yes, I'm the one from Norfolk.

Thanks for all the suggestions, I know I need lessons to get me to the next level and I'll look into having a couple while out there.

We are looking at New Year week, the boys are 15 and will be coming with us. One of them is my sort of standard, the other doesnt like going fast!!

catclaires, is there a green/blue down to Vaujany then? I did look at that village but couldnt see a run to get me home and I would rather ski home than get the lift.
ski holidays
GaryCantley, one or two clues gave you away as an RCC owner and occasional scanner of the NBF forum thought there couldn't be more than one.

I am also an Instructor at the Norfolk Snowsport Club and we run a session on Friday nights starting again in September "Fast Track To parallel" designed to take skiers from Plough to parallel and beyond. This session is designed to help people on who have reached a plateau in their skiing so would hopefully give you and the boys the skills and confidence to give those reds a go. It is run on an add hoc basis so you do not have to commit just turn up and have a go (You do have to be a club member Family membership £61) £6.50 for a one and a half hour session.

Kevin
latest report
Insiders wrote:
urg... Lets Gets...

Let us all guess, Chatel??

Why turn every thread into this??? Are you 18 years old or something, soooo boring!

I will also recommend les gets, plenty of cruise blues to get you more confident. Nice family village too.
snow conditions
GaryCantley, you can't ski directly to Vaujany. It's either a black down and then a little lift up. Or a lift down from Montfrais or Alpette. If want to ski home Oz-en-Oisans is excellent with a couple of good routes down.
ski holidays
Quote:

I would rather ski home than get the lift.

if you rule out everywhere where you can't "ski home" you will be missing out on a lot of otherwise good places. Even where you can ski down, it's often not a great idea. Home runs can often be a bit crowded at the end of the day and early in the season snow might not be great. Slower skiers, and kids, can get a bit carved up by impatient people who fancy themselves as experts and whizz past barely in control.

Les Saisies would certainly suit you very well as a resort. There are easy ways down from everywhere - and not cat tracks, either. There are any number of apartments within very easy reach of pistes/lifts. There is lift access for pedestrians to the top of Mont Bisanne and pleasant walks for non skiers as well as extensive programmes of guided snowshoe walks. Expensive "pampering and massage" at the Tahiti Eden Spa (only ever been there for a coffee, myself) and the usual range of resort style shops. But it's very busy at New Year and accommodation expensive (as is the case in all French resorts AFAIK). Group ski lessons will be mostly in French, though privates are affordable. Some lessons in the centre in Norfolk, before you go, sound like a good idea.
ski holidays
Hasn't Les Carroz apparently got the 'best green in France?' easy to get to from Geneva too
ski holidays
GaryCantley, we've spent the last nine NY weeks in Les Gets. It's great for non-skiers and the skiing would suit your needs nicely (with plenty to progress onto wink Have to say though that, in our experience, it has got extremely busy and we are not going that week this season, choosing to go to a quieter French resort the week before. New Year's morning is of course blissfully quiet Toofy Grin You would need to time the lifts carefully and get up away from the village, avoiding ski school times on the red bubbles and Chavannes Express.
I would be very happy there as a non-skier. Easy access up gondolas on two hills with lovely walks (snow shoeing too), good meeting points for lunch. The village is pleasant to wander around with a few decent shops and good coffee stops.

Les Saisies would be good. We drove through there last week and was selling it to my OH who hasn't skied there - we will be near enough for a day trip in December.
snow conditions
Quote:

Les Saisies would be good

still busy, though! Not much chance of getting away from the crowds at New Year - we have found the best bet round here to be driving down to Praz sur Arly and using the fast 6 man chair there. Normally I just don't bother with New Year.
snow report
pam w, busy for Les Saisies maybe? And fewer Brits Toofy Grin
ski holidays
marmotte16, yes, probably not as busy as Les Gets!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy