Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

A Cheap pair of runabouts...

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hello there,

I do hope you forgive me for what may be a stupid question
I'm fairly new to skiing, having only skied a couple of weeks; but since my last overseas escapade, I ski two or three times a month at my "local" snowdome. I guess that makes me an intermediate skiier, albeit a not particularly good one! So far I have skied mainly on piste with a few forays into well skied 'off piste' forest tracks, but generally don't plan on making too much of a habit of it.

I've taken the step of buying my own boots and they've made a huge difference to my skiing and my confidence and am now considering buying a pair of second hand skis. There really is nothing wrong with the Salomon X wing 400 rental skis available at the snowdome, but having something that's yours, that you know well and that wont cause you to shed a tear when somebody knocks into you and chips your immaculate paintwork in a queue for the lift is appealing... My partner would also never forgive me if I bought a pair of brand new skis which is my main motivation in buying second hand!

I was considering a couple of skis namely:

Volkl Unlimited AC 7.4 (2010) 170cm - (118-74-103)

Salomon X Wing Tornado (2009) 170cm - (124-75-107)

The examples I have seen of both look to be in decent condition, have in date bindings, neither is ex-rental and they are appropriate for my height/weight.

I guess my question really is in two parts:

1. Should I stick with rental skis or would skis this kind of age be OK
2. Are either of these models likely to be suitable and if not, soes anyone had some alternative suggestions?

Many thanks

R
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
rjb1, I'm not really familiar with the Volkls but I think it's a fairly low end model aimed at the rental market (much like the Salomon 400) whilst the Tornado was a well respected advanced ski at the time. The age won't matter as long as they haven't been skied that much and/or over serviced. You'll find the Tornado quite a bit stiffer (and therefore less forgiving) than the XW400 but this will be good for progression if you intend to keep them some time. As a 2 week skier you'll probably prefer the Volkls but by the time you're a 6-10 week skier you'll wish you had the Tornados and you still wouldn't grow out of them ability wise for many weeks after that. So it really comes down to how long you're going to keep them and how much skiing you intend to do.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy