Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Where to spend a Season in Europe??

Ozboard321
Ozboard321
Hey all,

I am going to Europe in October and want to do a season somewhere. I spent a season in Innsbruck Austria 2 years ago and loved it. I am considering going back but at the same time I also want to try somewhere new. My options are:

1 - Austria - buy the tyrol snow card and base myself in Innsbruck and ski a number of mountains. (Unfortunately the card doesnt include SkiArlberg Sad
2 France - Base myself around St Moritz and ski the tignes and three valleys. (Not sure if there is 1 ticket that includes the whole area??)
3 Italy - The Dolomites. Base myself in Cortina and buy the Dolomites superki ticket to ski the whole area. I am a bit worried as I have heard the terrain here is not as advanced and it is more family resorts.

Help I dont no which one to choose?? I dont need to work as I have a bit saved up but my main priorities would be snowbaording good powder and good nightlife (pretty keen on partying)

What do you think is the best? Feel free to suggest new locations aside from the ones above.

Thanks a heap Very Happy
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Ozboard321, Welcome to SnowHeads............. You may just find that St Moritz is nowhere near Tignes and 3V's, in fact nowhere near France either!
HOWEVER, locate yourself in Boug St Maurice and you've access to the Tarantaise including Les Arcs/Paradiski, La Rosiere, St Foy, as well as EK.
Which ever you do choose, enjoy your season!!
snow conditions
 Ozboard321
Ozboard321
Opps meant Boug St Maurice not St Moritz...My bad :S Thanks for the reply!! Smile
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
If you've spent a season based in Innsbruck hopefully you skied around the Arlberg at sometime? St Anton is a lively base indeed.
snow report
 Ozboard321
Ozboard321
Yeah I went to St Anton a few times but it was a fair way from Innsbruck...so didnt really spend time at any bars there unfortunately. I mainly just snowboarded. Im guessing St Anton would cost alot more to stay in then Innsbruck. Pity its not included in the Tyrol Snow card Sad
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Ozboard321, If you get the Innsbruck Freizeitticket then you get 3 days in St Anton and 3 days in Ischgl (and if you are registered as living in Tirol you also get a discount on the St Anton day pass, though it's only around €5/6). I skied 4 days in St Anton last winter, it's only an hour on the train. The trains run pretty late (past 9pm) so you've got plenty of time for apres, just don't overdo it and fall asleep on the train or you'll wake up in Salzburg Embarassed Laughing

You could also base yourself further east and get the Salzburg ski pass. Some cool terrain over there, I haven't skied them yet but Krippenstein and Obertauern look pretty damn good!!

http://youtube.com/v/LNFBeY-5__U

http://youtube.com/v/fT5p-RE7cJ0
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
If you want to work as well Chamonix would be worth looking at. The pass covers a lot of resorts, including 8 days in verbier, and Courmayeur. Cheap accommodation with sharing options, reasonable pass for what you get, and nightlife. It's good for boarders.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Ozboard321, I suppose a list of suggestions as to where to spend a season with access to some challenging terrain would be incomplete without Chamonix. And there are some quite cheap places to live in Chamonix, too.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
pam w, how weird is that.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I posted simultaneously with jbob. But working is not compulsory in chamonix. wink
latest report
 Ozboard321
Ozboard321
Thanks everyone...Yeah I have heard Chamonix is really good. But they all sound awsome so have no clue which one to go for. I was thinking maybe back to Austria just because they are big on there drinking and its probably a bit cheaper. I bought the Freizeitticket a couple of years ago Clarky...was such good value. But am thinking I should get the tyrol snow pass this time as it includes Ishgl, Solden and Kitzbuhel. Its just a bit of a trek from Innsbruck. Do you know if there are any other cities with good nightlife closer to those mountains?? Awsome videos by the way. Salzburg could be an option.

PS has anyone ever skied the Dolomites??? Looks pretty amazing in the photos
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
re Dolomites: I would stick with the other ideas persoanlly. Dont want to be too xenophobic etc but for an Aussie boarder I think you will find Austria/France 'better' for you.

the Dolomites are lovely (scenery, food etc) but apres ski in Italiy is very different to more norttehrn alps IMHO. this would change if you spoke Italian as hat can make a difference as there are far greater numbers of English speakers going to the other countries.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Ozboard321 wrote:
Thanks everyone...Yeah I have heard Chamonix is really good. But they all sound awsome so have no clue which one to go for. I was thinking maybe back to Austria just because they are big on there drinking and its probably a bit cheaper. I bought the Freizeitticket a couple of years ago Clarky...was such good value. But am thinking I should get the tyrol snow pass this time as it includes Ishgl, Solden and Kitzbuhel. Its just a bit of a trek from Innsbruck. Do you know if there are any other cities with good nightlife closer to those mountains?? Awsome videos by the way. Salzburg could be an option.

PS has anyone ever skied the Dolomites??? Looks pretty amazing in the photos

When were you here last? Last time I had the Tirol Snow Card (2009/10 I think) it didn't include Ischgl - I found that out the expensive way lol. Totally possible it does now though, and also includes Zillertal (Mayrhofen) and Ski Welt - seriously good value pass! The Freizietticket is also better now though, includes Stubai (ski Oct-June), Schlick2000, Kuhtai and Axamer Lizum (it didn't used to), as well as all the old resorts and 3 days in Arlberg and Ischgl. Will you have a car? The resorts you mention are all totally possible to day trip, but you've got at least an hour (on public transport) at each end of the day. Not a big deal once in a while, but not ideal everyday.

I'm not sure about any other 'cities' near the skiing, but could be worth looking at Oetz (great gateway for Oetztal and Soelden) and maybe Landeck or Imst. I don't know what the nightlife is like there though, but the Sickline Race party in Oetz is pretty fun!

If you do end up in Innsbruck again, bring a splitboard - I've got a massive to do list left over from last season!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hi Ozboard
You seem to be getting plenty advice here already.
If its the night-life you need then Austria is #1 .. but on its not so lively in working towns such as Landeck which has a station close to the Arlberg.

I think you have an interesting problem.
If you had to just do one area for the whole Season, I'd get an apartment in Pettenau just outside St Anton and catch the bus in each morning.

2nd Choice Verbier, great nightlife but it will cost you a packet.

Kitzbuehel is probably the biggest party town in Austria and I would like to have my ashes scattered there.
There is plenty of Challenging skiing in the Dolomites but Cortina is a bit off the Ronda. Plus everyone in Italy seems to get at about 8:30.
snow report
 Ozboard321
Ozboard321
Thanks again for all the replies...Clarky I was there in 2011/2012 winter. I think they recently just introduced Ishgl and Solden to the tyrol pass which really makes me want to get it. Nah unfortunately I dont have a car so will be relying heavily on public transport. Im thinking maybe spend time in a number of locations...for eg 1 month in Kitzbuhel, 1 month in Ishgl, 1 month travelling around to other mountains. The hard bit is getting accommodation Sad See what I can pull up tho.

Thanks for the tips DrLawn. Arlberg is def my favourite mountain its just not on tyrol snow pass and only 3 times on frezeit ticket unfortunately. Hmmm yeah I think Austria (Tyrol) takes the cake Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy For this season anyway...
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy