Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Working with the Dynafit Vulcan - toebox

Poster: A snowHead
Hey, plea for advice from boot people!

Have two pairs of Dynafit Vulcans here, 27.5 and 28,

Length is good on the 28 though i think when it packs out it'll get a bit roomy..

The 27.5 fits amazingly but the toebox seems a little short for touring, what's the chance of making it bigger? Either blowing it or shaving it? How is this new "wonderboot" to work with?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Have you checked the length of the liner as the 12/13 liners have been known to run a little short (I'm assuming they're 12/13 as the 13/14's aren't out yet)? In which case have 'em heat moulded whilst wearing a nice thick toe cap.

Check-out the Vulcan thread on TGR re ease of tweaking 'em ( http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php/236543-Hjortleifson-has-been-heard-the-DynaFit-Vulcan?highlight=vulcan ) however AFAIK the grilamid lower shell material is no problem to stretch. Hopefully CEM/CH20 will be along soon.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Cheers Jon, probably just gonna attack it with some heat!....... 28 pages though! Gonna have to have a word with the boss, have found a distraction from work for the whole day Confused
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

however AFAIK the grilamid lower shell material is no problem to stretch.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Ok, so the toebox can be stretched, superb, now a small problem, the toe on the liner is harder than some shells I've skied in!!!

It's not gonna make any difference if i just enlarge the toebox, before I just cut a slit in the end and ducktape it, I'd like to do a better job (have just spent 600 euros on the bloody things) thought was a neoprene cap... could maybe sew and glue it. Anyone got any tips?

("don't" could also be a valid one)
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
dulcamara wrote:
Ok, so the toebox can be stretched, superb, now a small problem, the toe on the liner is harder than some shells I've skied in!!!

It's not gonna make any difference if i just enlarge the toebox, before I just cut a slit in the end and ducktape it, I'd like to do a better job (have just spent 600 euros on the bloody things) thought was a neoprene cap... could maybe sew and glue it. Anyone got any tips?

("don't" could also be a valid one)

CH20 will know but you could ask on the TGR thread - tell 'em you couldn't be arsed reading the whole thread to search for the answer - they're a very understanding bunch.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
haha,

I have looked at the thread, "i couldn't be arsed" was already my response! thought i would ask here first before digging in to the TGR manual
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
No need to stretch the liner - just leave the tongues in & the pain in your shins from trying to flex 'em will mask the pain in yer toes Toofy Grin
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Finally, someone has unpacked their heater, any suggestions how far the toebox can be strectched without any major risk of issues.... never been to this shop before so a little hesitant to trust them!!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
close you eyes and let them stretch until it bursts then demand a new pair of the 13/14 liners immediately as compensation..
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
sometimes it feels like the caliber of technical response has waned somewhat on this site...... wink
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I've got a pair of Mercurys & Vulcans on route to me but it'll be a few weeks until CEM's squeezing me into 'em so I might be able to advise better then.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Read this:
http://coldthistle.blogspot.co.uk/2013/05/ouch-that-hurts-ski-boot-fit.html

and then put the 27.5 down and wear the 28
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
spyderjon wrote:
Have you checked the length of the liner as the 12/13 liners have been known to run a little short

This is the best solution to short lasted liners...

http://www.palau-boutique.com/ski-boot-liners-custom-thermo-liners-ski-snowboard-touring,us,3,6.cfm

I've also had success with a shoe stretcher, but a quick look on the web hasn't turned up a currently available one that would fit in a ski boot.

Another option is just to put the toe over a broom handle and push hard.

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Wed 2-10-13 10:57; edited 3 times in total
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Palau suck, Intuition all the way!
snow conditions
CH2O wrote:

Bike season over then? It's nice to have you back Smile

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Wed 2-10-13 10:57; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
Toofy Grin
ski holidays
CH2O wrote:

the Palaus you sold me a couple of years ago have served me pretty well NehNeh
ski holidays
Arno, Yeah, it was season before last when we started having troubles, a change of foam or properties mean these things were just packing within days. I would have loved to continue to support them, however we cannot find a use for them now, and the Intuition offer us a broader range of densities and thicknesses, The margins on Palau are way higher, but sometimes you just can't.
snow report
CH2O, interesting - I thought the Palaus were a big improvement on the Intuitions that came with my previous pair of boots. sounds like my brand alliegances are out of date Cool
ski holidays
Cutting the liners this weekend cuz the toe-ends on the mercury/Vulcan/One are bomb-proof, still need to blow the plasic though and nobody here will do it! guess it's a heat gun and broom handle!

Most expensive boot i have ever owned goes under the amateurs knife... can't wait Confused
latest report
dulcamara, Post them to us!!!
ski holidays
I think posting them to the UK, where my feet aren't, then returning them here might be a little OTT... I have complete faith in my ability.... at least to deal with a pair of weirdly miss-shapen boots Madeye-Smiley
latest report
dulcamara,

Have you considered asking shops in St Anton if they will blow them out?
latest report
dulcamara wrote:
I think posting them to the UK, where my feet aren't, then returning them here might be a little OTT... I have complete faith in my ability.... at least to deal with a pair of weirdly miss-shapen boots Madeye-Smiley

CH20 is the Sole shop in Chamonix. On boots the value of the Vulcans I'd recommend taking up his offer.

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Thu 3-10-13 19:53; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
dulcamara wrote:
still need to blow the plasic though and nobody here will do it! guess it's a heat gun and broom handle!

Just want to make it clear that in my post above (where I mentioned stretching over a broom handle) I was referring to the liners not the shells.

I once met someone who melted a hole in the shell of his ski boots while trying to stretch them at home with a heatgun!

I have successfully altered the shape of shells at home using the instructions in this blog post...

http://www.wildsnow.com/6285/dynafit-tlt-5-the-mods-continue/

But if I was in your situation I'd just post them to CH20.

(Edited due to my inability to type)
snow conditions
snowrider wrote:
Read this:

Yup, defo do not go with a downhill fit. My normal boots are a 305mm sole, my touring a 314. Can't remember off hand what the sizes were, but different manufacturers will differ slightly anyway. If you're looking to hike longer distances you really do not want your toes pushing trying to push out through the shell when in walk mode Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Quote:

If you're looking to hike longer distances you really do not want your toes pushing trying to push out through the shell when in walk mode

I can't even walk short distances comfortably in my (CEM-fitted) downhill boots. But they're great for skiing.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Avalanche Poodle wrote:
....Yup, defo do not go with a downhill fit. My normal boots are a 305mm sole, my touring a 314. Can't remember off hand what the sizes were, but different manufacturers will differ slightly anyway. If you're looking to hike longer distances you really do not want your toes pushing trying to push out through the shell when in walk mode Toofy Grin

You can't compare boot sole lengths as the internal length of the boots varies greatly across makes/models/sizes etc. You need to compare the shell gap. My Atomic alpine boot has a 10/11mm gap (307mm BSL) whereas my Cochise's have a 15/16mm (310mm BSL) & I'm about to take delivery of a pair of Mercury's which will also give me 15/16mm shell gap (294mm BSL Shocked). And all are 26 mondo.
snow report
spyderjon, Yup... I totally agree Smile In my boots the 305 sole one is a TG 26.0 - 27.5 shell and I can get one slim finger down the back. The touring boots are 28.5 shell and I can get 2.5 fingers down the back. A hell of a difference, yet I wore the touring boots for the first time on a long 1000m hike and I didn't have a single problem so they definitely suit the usage. They are not what I call a performance fit for skiing fast or doing bumps etc though
snow report
I am selling the Dynafit Ones though as they won't fit my new binding set up. Only been worn three times Sad (Shameless plug there) Laughing
snow report
I find all this 'two fingers' thing really confusing. Much better to find an object like a marker pen (or a maglite) that fits in the gap, and then measure it.
snow report
snowrider wrote:
Read this:

There is some very solid touring boot specific advice here...

http://blog.scarpa.com/shell-fitting-ski-boots-the-essential-first-step-in-good-fit/
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy