Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

February Half Term

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Currently looking at options for me and Mrs RJB for next years half term trip and after some advise / help as I have done the vast majority of my skiing at the "larger" French resorts.

Bit of background information, it was the wife's first time last season, whilst I enjoy clocking up the mileage on piste. The plan is for her to be in ski school again in the mornings and meet up in the afternoons.

Last year we opted for La Tania as it gave me access to the 3v and was small / quiet enough for her first time.

My question is what Austrian / Swiss or Italian resorts are there that you can recommend, I'm drawn to Sass Fee for some reason so anyone that's got experience they can share its greatly received.

Thanks
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
rjb, you are presumably teachers (or one of you is)? Other threads discussing February half term have come up with some suggestions that if you are forced to ski in half-term, Italy might be the least crowded option (except possibly at weekends).
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Cervinia is nice - I have only skied over to it from Zermatt, but the runs will be good for confidence building IMHO, and subject to weather you can go over to Zermatt side.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Pan W yes the wife is a teacher

Nicky, thanks I will look into Cervinia
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Laax is a possibility in Switzerland. I went there for half term a few years and it was lovely and quiet. Not a cheap country though.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks, i will look into laax also. keep em coming.... As I said I've done the vast majority of my skiing in France, did go to schladming when I was about 12 but i can't remember much about that now.

Feb half term is about the most expensive week to go anyway, So I'll try to get somewhere on half board or catered bases to help with the costs.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
rjb, catering for yourself is cheaper. wink So is going skiing in the Easter hols. First half of april = great skiing in many, many, resorts.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
rjb, Check your dates against the Fasching/Carneval dates -if they do not match you may find Austria cheaper as not all the areas have a winter break in February/March. Similarly many of the 3* hotels do not change their prices at all during the season. They tend to have a price for winter and a price for summer and leave it at that. One of my regular hotels is fairly typical for this: 55 Euro Ppn B&B through to 78 Euro Ppn full board this coming season, so I will pay the same amount per night at Christmas/New Year as I will in low season at the beginning of February. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Book early. There is no point in waiting for bargains. We used to find DiY a good option, if you can get the accomodation. Sometimes you can book private flats that the owners don't want to use in the busier weeks. We never found the half-term weeks significantly busier than any others, by the way. As to where, I think you might like Italy, as we do, but Austria is also good.

snowHead
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

Book early. There is no point in waiting for bargains.

Would definitely agree with this. Last season (12/13) there were 2 half-term weeks for the UK. Some people had the week of 9/2 and others the week of 16/2. For 13/14 nearly everyone has the same week ie. 15/2
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

55 Euro Ppn B&B

that's €770 a week - comparable to a decent apartment for 2, even in a big French resort at half term, and ordering in some croissants for breakfast. Out of peak weeks it's quite a bit more expensive. I suppose it depends what you like - if the budget allowed I would generally prefer to sample a range of restaurants than be forced to eat in the same hotel each night. I would also enjoy buying a couple of nice steaks, a bag of salad and a bottle of vino and cooking for myself now and then. I certainly agree there is no point hanging on for a half term "bargain".
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
pam w wrote:
Quote:

55 Euro Ppn B&B

that's €770 a week - comparable to a decent apartment for 2, even in a big French resort at half term, and ordering in some croissants for breakfast. Out of peak weeks it's quite a bit more expensive. I suppose it depends what you like - if the budget allowed I would generally prefer to sample a range of restaurants than be forced to eat in the same hotel each night. I would also enjoy buying a couple of nice steaks, a bag of salad and a bottle of vino and cooking for myself now and then. I certainly agree there is no point hanging on for a half term "bargain".

That is a B&B price - Bed and Breakfast - you are free to eat where you like for all the other meals. The only thing you'll get in a big French resort for that price at that time of year is a studio apartment - i.e. a hotel room you cook in!

Breakfast is usually a huge self-service buffet - you come down from your room and simply stock up with what ever you want. Then you have a non-stop supply of coffee/tea/chocolate bought to your table. When full, you leave and someone clears your table and does the washing up. No shopping, no cleaning no need to spend extra money or time deciding on what to buy to eat for the evening. Pick a restaurant and off you toddle! Simples I cannot see where 385€ per head at half term is extortionate Puzzled It is a holiday for everyone isn't it? Let the hotel/chalet/Pension people do the graft while you enjoy what you came to do - ski!
BTW that is exactly what I will pay for my 2 weeks over Christmas and New Year and I will have an excellent time! I will eat in the hotel some of the time, and elsewhere at other times. My hotelier tots up the bill accordingly - B&B price when I had just B&B, half board price when I have an evening meal. Nobody is "forced" to eat any where unless of course you buy into a TO package and you choose not to eat in the hotel. The TO will not give you a refund will they. One of the advantages of dealing directly with the hoteliers is flexibility.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

Simples I cannot see where 385€ per head at half term is extortionate

No, it's not and I didn't suggest it was. I just pointed out that it's not necessarily cheaper than going to France - it costs much the same (or more, depending on the resort and accommodation you choose) as renting a small place which, for my money, gives you more freedom. Even a studio is often bigger than a hotel room and you can have your own drinks, supermarket beers, good coffee and tea etc at a fraction of the price of buying them in a hotel bar. No need to cook unless you want to but I like to have the option - and if you're on a tight budget it's good to be able to fix yourself something cheaply for lunch, too.

There is something for everybody - but good places do book up early for half term, all over, so it's wise to reserve something well in advance. As I have often pointed out before (and been flamed for saying so), I would personally avoid most French resorts at half term, not because of the cost but because of the crowds! I'm not impressed by having to queue for "only" ten minutes. Although I have my own "free" accommodation I would not spend any of the 4 peak weeks here normally - I lend my place to family members who don't have the choice.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Anyone skied Madonna di Campiglio half term week?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
We were toying with the same dilema: we want to ski Italy with the kids (12, 14, 16) all competent, but according to another thread, we will delay to Easter. If the weather is right, we might take a sneaky few days in Scotland at half-term...

However: I have no idea where in Italy we will go!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy