Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Difference between Atomic Hawx Mens and Womens?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I have a friend who has tried and loved the Atomic Hawx boot. This is good because he wants to buy some boots, and already knows what fits and works once seriously packed down by rental use and what size was (as he described it) perfect.

Anyhow, I've found a cheap pair, but they are Hawx womens. Can anyone confirm the difference between these? Appearance and girly graphics are not important to us, fit is the most important thing, is the womans Hawx the same fit as the mens?

Obviously he can try them on, but wanted to see if anyone knew before getting his hopes up. Final question, looking around they seem to all be in 0.5 mondo sizes, is the 25 the same shell as 25.5, do they actually come in whole sizes or are all something.5?

TIA.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I have the Hawx and they are fantastic boots; fitted me straight off the shelf and v comfy. The only issue is that the rubber (?) bit on the lower part doesn't like to be blown-out.

http://www.skis.com/The-Difference-Between-Mens-and-Womens-Ski-Boots-Video/video-the-difference-between-mens-and-womens-ski-boots,default,pg.html
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I have the women's version. I'd hazard a guess that they're a bit lower given that women generally have wider calves at a lower point.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
This might actually be a good thing - the potential purchaser is a stocky chap with fairly short legs, so perhaps this is worth going in for a try on.

Can anyone confirm if the last, arch and other measurements around the foot are the same? Effectively is the foot piece of the shell the same?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Women's boot also tend to be softer flexing. IIRC the women's Hawk only comes in an 80, 90 or 100 flex & the 100 flex is likely to be too soft for all but the lightest weight guy. Couldn't say if the last shape is the same in the male & female models. A 25 is the same shell as a 25.5 however the 25.5 should have slightly more volume due to either a tad thinner liner or a reduced height internal boot board. Worn rental boots aren't gonna be an indicator of good fit & there's a very good chance he'll buy too big (does he know how to do a shell test?). Unless your friend has specific fit issues that can only be address with a women's boot then this is not a good idea.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
spyderjon, surely a mens 90 is the same as a womens 90? TBH, they are so cheap that if they get him through a couple of weeks he has saved against renting, and really the main thing he wants is to make sure he doesn't end up in uncomfortable rental boots - he is not an experienced skiier, just doesn't want to arrive and find that nothing is anywhere close.

Wouldn't worn rental boots give an indication of how the boots will fit once packed out, and not even well packed out to suit him? The shop is pretty good with boots, so I'd expect them to do a bit of due diligence before taking his money, I just don't want to send him in without a clue and a very limited budget and waste their time and his.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Yes the flexes should match but only the lightest guy would be in a 90 flex.

Your original post gave me the impression that you were buying online as opposed to getting fitted at a shop. A good shop shouldn't sell him something unsuitable (but plenty still do) but going in with a make/model/size/flex in mind is not a good idea unless one's pretty experienced in this area. I'd bet a stiff drink that the rental boots he liked so much were probably too big, it's just that he doesn't know it.

If you want to help/educate him then get him to swat up on doing a shell fit & the effect of differing amounts of shell gap (this kind of knowledge is also really important in allowing the customer to gauge the ability of the fitter) - there's loads of info on this forum re how this is done.

Personally I've always believed in the buy once buy right philosophy - which doesn't always mean expensive as there's still bargains to had at this time of year.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy