Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

French Police step up watch on foreign vehicles

Poster: A snowHead
Confirmation that UK not sharing vehicle details as per the EU directive.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-23619783

One unanswered question by the report or the video.
Does anyone know how much the fines are? Is it a set amount per KPH?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Several options:-
You are arrested by the police or gendarmerie for moderate speeding. Fine to be paid on the spot. Points lost if french driving licence.
You are arrested by the police or gendarmerie for immoderate speeding (in excess of 50km/h). Fine to be paid, licence confiscated, vehicle might be impounded.
You are caught speeding by a speed camera but not arrested with a foreign registered car. You are not likely to ever have to pay the fine, except if you are from Luxembourg.

Speeding by less than 20 km/h (12 mph)
Fine (0) : 68 euros
License points loss : 1 point
License suspension : none
if however the speed limit is lower than 50 km/h (31 mph)
Fine (1) : 135 euros
License points loss : 1 point
License suspension : none

Speeding between 20 km/h and 30 km/h (12 mph to 19 mph)
License points loss: 2 points
License suspension (2) : none

Speeding between 30 km/h and 40 km/h (19 mph to 25 mph)
License points loss: 3 points
License suspension (2) : 3 years

Speeding between 40 km/h and 50 km/h (25 mph to 31 mph)
License points loss: 4 points

Speeding by more than 50 km/h (31 mph)
Fine (2) : 1500 euros
License points loss: 6 points

Second offence speeding by more than 50 km/h (31 mph)
Jail (2) : 3 months
Fine (2) : 3750 euros
License points loss: 6 points

(0) The fine is 68 euros, however if paid in less than 15 days it is 45 euros, and if paid in more than 45 days it is 180 euros. The maximum possible being 450 euros (if it goes into trial).
(1) The fine is 135 euros, however if paid in less than 15 days it is 90 euros, and if paid in more than 45 days it is 375 euros. The maximum possible being 750 euros (if it goes into trial).
(2) maximum.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Nearly got caught going down to the Tour De France in July - the Rozzers had the choice of me or the Bentley GT with the roof down - guess which prey he took Little Angel
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
French/swiss and belgian drivers are crazy... are the police stopping them... erm no!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Insiders, If you read the article you'd know that they say they have arrangements with the swiss and belgians such that thay can fine them without stopping them.

And I agree the Belgians are the worst speeders in Europe.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
They should stop them too, otherwise its not nearly so effective, or intimidating
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
With a relatively small sample-group of 1 trip out and back to the Charente last week, I'd say the cars that were seen speeding most often would have been the Belgians, then the Dutch and then GB.

Of those who were speeding by the greatest amount, I'd put the GB stickered cars at the top of the list. Certainly, the B and NL cars might be more prolific, but it was the GB cars that ripped past me at a higher speed than all the rest (and I was 'making progress' myself)
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Insiders, I wouldn't say French/Swiss drivers are worse than others, we have very few accidents round us. I find some of the Dutch drivers pretty shocking (nothing against them as a nation, they are nice people) but some of them are oblivious when driving in our village.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Speeding is nothing compared to the tail-gating I've seen ....it's just shocking, MUCH more dangerous than speeding and hardly punished at all. If the cops really cared about safety (or less about making money), they should be focusing on trying to stop tail-gaters.
Brits are (generally) by far the best in this regard. French n Germans are the worst, but that could be coz I was driving in France n Germany so skews the sample population.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Got clocked coming past Montpellier a few years back, just after midnight, satnav said 98mph.

Everyone else in car was asleep.

As I came up to the toll booths just South of Lyon I had a message flash up on the gantry. TROP VITE with reg no.

Kept it slow until North of Lyon and put the foot down again.

Only downside, the wife woke up approx 30 seconds prior to the message flashing up. Embarassed I got hard times for that one!!

Not pulled over or heard anything since though.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
ALQ, have you tried the motorways in Italy? I think a 2m gap is considered normal. At one point I was suprised to see someone else sitting in the back seat of my car. It wasn't. The car behind was so close I was looking straight through his windscreen and rear windscreen without seeing the car at all; at 130kph.

As to Belgian drivers, It was not that long ago when they didn't have driving tests. A colleague of mine just applied for and was issued with a driving licence, but he must be getting on a bit now. I gather that due to the appalling accident rate in Belgium the test has been toughened up so we should start seeing some improvement in the coming decades.

I suspect the police in France have suffered major cut backs at one point. Every 50km or so there used to be a little blue renault and a couple of BMWs sometimes with a speed gun just watching the traffic (and every one coming the other way would be flashing their lights to warn you). You rarely see them now. I was pulled over once about 30 years ago and fined for riding without lights. My wife (who is better looking than me) was let off. The police were pleasant and actually spoke english once they realised we were english.

The headline used in the OP article "French police step up watch on British drivers" actually doesn't relate to the article at all. The article just says that British drivers are amongst the worst speeders. What was interesting was the UK government's reason for not joining the exchange scheme "It is not happy that the directive means exchanging vehicle owner information, rather than driver information - and often, it argues, the offending driver does not own the vehicle." Does this mean they will not contact the DVLA about my car if I am flashed by a speed camera?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
johnE, yes if you're flashed there's nothing to worry about, but if you're done by a real cop he can penalise you more than you might be normally. hThe last government had announced the aim of doubling the number of speed cameras, not sure if that's still a go.

In general the French are quite well behaved on motorways, it's in town that the really get their hackles up. I live on the south coast between winters and considered getting a GoPro just to film my daily commute!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
My wallet got a spanking for holding a mobile phone whilst driving somewhere near Lyon in May. Couple of uniformed gendarmes in a mostly unmarked car spotted me in the act. Cue arm out of the window, rotaty-blue-light thing from 60s cop shows plonked on the roof, and an awkward moment where I didn't have the insurance papers and couldn't explain what a trade policy was.

90€ later, they let me go. They were very polite and respectful which I didn't expect, particularly considering they'd just hauled over a bird in an antisocial vehicle stuck doing 60mph with half of Tescos junk food stock on the passenger seat. They could have easily done me for no GB sticker, no spare bulbs, etc etc though one of them was keen to show his holstered firearm. No euphamism.

The key to driving in France is just to get your elbows out. And for the tailgaters, figure out exactly how much pressure on your brake pedal with your left foot sets your brake lights off without impeding your progress on the right foot Wink
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I have just done my second return drive from the northern French Alps to Genoa and back (Fréjus tunnel) in 5 days. No bad driving to report at all, even in congested Genoa city where I am unfamiliar and driving a bit hesitatingly as a result. Though, come to think of it, a rude and impatient Italian blew his horn at me because I didn't get away fast enough having had to stop and walk round the car to pay a motorway toll. That was unnecessary. Evil or Very Mad

Quote:

The key to driving in France is just to get your elbows out

On the contrary, I find the key to driving on mountain roads in France (which I do a great deal) is just to take sensible opportunities to slow down and indicate right when there is room for Monsieur Savoie 73 or 74 to pass you safely. A cheery wave usually results and I would rather have an impatient driver in front of me than behind me. Little Angel
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Ah yes, fair play on the mountains, I was thinking mostly in the towns as per albinomountainbadger's comment. There the only way to proceed is to go native and think like a Frenchman! Well, if you want to get anywhere that day of course Wink
ski holidays
The Savoyards do drive quickly but one can say they know the roads and are born in the snow with correctly equipped vehicles. Down here on the south coast however driving takes on an Indian-style 'faith' that you'll either survive or not. First time I saw a motorcycle overtake a scooter overtaking a car overtaking a slow scooter overtaking a bicycle I was surprised but now it's just normal!
snow report
I was once driven from Grenoble hospital to Briancon by a taxi driver who gave me hints and tips in French all the way on how to drive in the snow.All I wanted to do was sleep, as I hadn't done so for over 36 hours. I had cause to recall this the following morning when travelling across the Lauteret in a blizzard. I had to cross it another 5 times in the next few days, so became quite used to it in the end. l Most of our close calls have been at the hands of Belgians and Dutch.
snow conditions
albinomountainbadger wrote:
The last government had announced the aim of doubling the number of speed cameras, not sure if that's still a go.

Theres certainly a new one on the main road at Chambery just before Cham Nord, Calais bound about a mile after you come out of the tunnel, limit is 90KPH.
I was looking at it thinking 'thats a new camera' as it flashed me .....98 I think...... Confused
ski holidays
Is it just me or are the French camera flashes really bright as well? Once you've been flashed in the dark your eyes stay flashed for a couple of seconds or so, it's not particularly safe :/

Pro tip: if you're speeding in France at night, wear sunglasses... Wink
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy