Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Lightweight ski luggage?

Poster: A snowHead
Flight for next years ski trip has a 20kg hold luggage limit for a single bag which will have to hold boots and helment as well as other kit. Having to put the boots in this bag is a real bummer for the weight limit since they seem to tip the scales at between 6 and 7 kg so I'm going to have to compensate with a lighter bag that my old faithful 20 year old snow and rock back which although bullet proof is not lightweight.

NAyone got any recommendations for a lightweight but durable bag that will hold the lot?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I use an XL North Face Base Camp duffle. Weighs very little, holds loads and has shoulder straps so that you carry it like a rucksack.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I recently bought an Osprey Transporter 95 duffle from Go Outdoors. Weighs a smidge over 1kg, really well made and roomy and has rucksack straps which tuck away. Very useful for stingy airline limits and good as a general big holdall. Like it a lot.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Erm boots in hand luggage plus helmet strapped to the bag or worn on head depending on Stasi-ness of airline bods?

and 13kg is more than enough to cover hair gel and a few pairs of grunts surely?

Actually beginning to see a market for extremely lightweight but durable kit bags at a premium price including no frills roller bags (no extendable handle/bulky frame etc - just wheels and a bombproof fabric.)
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
fatbob wrote:
Actually beginning to see a market for extremely lightweight but durable kit bags at a premium price including no frills roller bags (no extendable handle/bulky frame etc - just wheels and a bombproof fabric.)

I'd buy one (at a mates rate discount)
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I had boots, helmet and all luggage in my hold bag total weight 14.2kg. What are you putting in yours? Bricks?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
queen bodecia, can be difficult if, say, skiing for two weeks with loads of ski touring clobber to cart along too and maybe two pairs of boots. Still manageable though.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I've never had any problem with my Head roller (no frame, extending handle, etc) with all my gear inc boots and helmet. It's lasting pretty well too and wasn't particularly expensive.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
my roller ski bag weighs about 6kg on its own, plus alpine boots (4.5kg), skis (5kg for relatively light ones), shovel, probe leaves you about 3kg for clothing, bong etc
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Arno, I've given up on using a big roller ski bag and have just paid for separate ski carriage for the last few trips. I got away with the bag being overweight quite a few times due to the bag being longer than the scales at check-in, resulting in a lower than actual reading. Got rumbled on the last trip when I was made to stand it on end on the scales and the true weight was revealed Sad
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Kelskii, i'm going that way too (and I have access to Swiss flights so it doesn't matter taking the extra bag with them.) Just find the big wheelie bags really unwieldy
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
So we just came across a new brand called Douchebags, made by pro skier Jon Olsen. Its the best range I have seen and is designed to integrate together. Check out the video and see what I mean.

http://www.snowmoment.co.uk/brands/douchebags.html

Very Happy
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Snowmoment, Thanks for the spam. Even leaving aside the price which is clearly enough to keep him in Lambos which bit of "lightweight" don't you understand?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
fatbob, they are quite light as wheelie double ski bags go - at least 2kg lighter than my Dynastar one
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Blimey - had seen all that protective rib stuff before and assumed it contributed to the weight. I take it back. Still paying a Scandic/fanboi premium for the product I suspect though.
snow report
I've just taken delivery of my second The North Face Long Haul 30; 88 litre bag. They tip my scales at 4.15Kg, but having taken one through an airport 4 times now, and viewed its survival against what I thought was a sturdy bag carried at the same time I would really rate them. It's worth an internet search as they can vary by up to about £40 depending on where you buy one from.
snow conditions
Kelskii wrote:
I use an XL North Face Base Camp duffle. Weighs very little, holds loads and has shoulder straps so that you carry it like a rucksack.

+1, loads of room and weighs nothing, perfect to taking way more stuff than you need while staying within weight limits. Material is also bomber and waterproof. Ski boot buckles can cause a bit of wear over time, but that's what ducktape's for.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy