Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Fatblades... Discuss, Invest etc

Poster: A snowHead
Not sure if these things have been brought to your attention before... http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/fatblades/fatblades-skiing-in-the-style-and-comfort-of-snowb

It's a Marmite moment.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hmm - crappy performance, enhanced gorilla steez, ability to unclip and go straight to the disco, shredded ankle ligaments - it's a fine balance.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
They're so easy to carve that the guy is slipping all over the place! Personally I'd sell them with a free comedy hat.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Carve in the powder, smear on the ice... haven't they kinda got that the wrong way round? Puzzled Laughing
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
How badly must his ski boots have hurt him for him to need to come up with this? Laughing
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I'd never thought a snowboarding boots as being stylish. They make the wearers feet look like those of an elephant.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
You know what? I'm guessing most on here think they are daft (I do) but he only needs to get some traction (not to be confused with edge, obviously) somewhere like China or Japan or somewhere consumers are equally green and daft, and he'll make loads of sales. What happens in the Ukay is irrelevant.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:
If you are a skier, you may envy snowboarders for their comfortable boots effortlessly walking around resort hotels and alpine ski villages. Then, hopping off their snowboards for the mountain bars and restaurants followed later with the Apres-ski!

Yeah, you all know you secretly worship us for that Laughing especially you Kelskii.
Blades and Snowboards in one handy package! It's like someone deliberately set out to develop the SnowHeads equivilant of pepper-spray - the ultimate irritant! Now, if he could integrate a transmit only avalanche beacon into them...

For me, he lost credability when I saw the Flow bindings. Then I noticed the price point of £329.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

enhanced gorilla steez

Not sure what you are saying there. I would not be seen dead near these things.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
no comment on the fatblades but interesting goggles he's wearing Toofy Grin
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
gorilla wrote:
Quote:

enhanced gorilla steez

Not sure what you are saying there. I would not be seen dead near these things.

gorilla as in mammal rather than screenname.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
There's nothing wrong with snowboard boots on a snowboard although a lot of them are poorly constructed floppy crap. My first really decent pair of snowboard boots (Malamutes) were stiffer than the ski boots I had at the time, at least until I broke the spine of them. They aren't really designed for dealing with a lot of lateral forces or rolling of the ankles as the predominant forces in them should be heel - toe. So stuff like this tends to make me believe it comes from someone who hasn't done a great deal of snowboarding or seen how quickly a poorly made snowboard boot can wear.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
fatbob, you have the wrong member of the ape family. It's gibbon steez. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I can see them being handy to enable boarders to join the skiera on the bits that they can't get to now.

But they're not skis and it's not skiing.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I think I'd rather have sore feet.
snow conditions
I once on here refered to Monkey/Gorilla Stylin' the apparent contributor at the time turned out to be from "Bongo Bongo land" he got all Pi$$y innit.
ski holidays
Oh my word, it is the usual crap again,made by people who only know crappy snowblades. Your perceptions are forgiven by the factthe only stuff available in Blighty are silly HEAD 94 skiblades and some otehr non-distinct low quality stuff. Those of us that actually ride the real stuff have to import our gear from places like the US, Czech Republic and Latvia. THe image shows a good comparison between the crappy blades and skiboards.

Oh yes, I ride those gorilla stances when I want to, and I ride upride when I want to. I also usually ride with releaseable bindings, but I have used non-release in the past as well.

I personally know two different manufacturers of snowboard bindings (GGO & Rocker) for skiboards. I have ridden with these guys and I have seen the quality of their products, an example which you can see here

http://www.skiboardsonline.com/p/ggosoftbootbinding.html.

(I even know a guy who does a lot of backcountry with a AT-modified set of snowboard bindings. I've ridden with him too, and he's damn good).

BTW fatbob, you are right about the lateral forces, that is why high-quality snowboard-bindings for skiboards were designed to cope with that, but they also demand use of good snowboard boots.

Ankle injuries? Yes, there is a risk if riding with fixed bindings, but you have to take the appropriate industry advice into account. Firstly no boards above 110cm and secondly there is a height vs skiboard length restriction to the use of fixies. I have done quite a bit of mountaineering and one thing you learn when walking with crampons is too lift up your feet in a fall to prevent you from cart-wheeling down the slope. This applies to fixed bindings as well. If you fall arkwardly, lift up those legs so the boards don't get caught. I am not seen proof yet, that percentage-wise more people riding skiboards get hurt than those skiiing. The only real data is on [url]ski-injury.com[/url], so do yourself a favour and read that.

Now on to these FatBlades...

Frankly I would not ride them. They are not symmetrical mounted and I don't think the parabolic cut is deep enough. Unlike good quaity skiboards, which allows interchanging of releasable and non-releasable bindings, these have a proprietary 8-hole mount, which will affect the flex of a board. On borads this short that is really important. I also don't think the idea is innovative either. It has already been done and it works. And some credit to fatbob again - I think these boards look like crap performance, however there are good , much better and proven skiboards out there.

My personal go-to pair are seriously fat (13.7cm at the waist) and rockered. This means I have to slarve those turns on ice due to the short running length - if you don't know what you're doing you'll slide all over place indeed. However they float beautifully in powder.

So, if you want to stay away from these heathen things, fine, but if you don't know what you are talking about, then the STFU rule applies.
snow report
ysb33r, nice well informed post - I don't really get why soft boots are the way to go on skiboards relative to say a mountaineering boot or ski touring boot but ultimately if you understand the risks and variables why not? Those bindings look pretty beefilly engineered and have the caliper strap so I can see that they might work. Fatboards look like a gimmick based on a weak premise - ability to go to apres without changing footwear.

Edit just watched the video again - he's at Lake Louise on some of the nicest manicured and grippiest edgeable snow on the planet and he's sliding around horribly emphasised by the skiers looking much tider behind him.
snow conditions
ysb33r, wait until you try real skis!!! Toofy Grin
snow report
fatbob wrote:
ysb33r, nice well informed post - I don't really get why soft boots are the way to go on skiboards relative to say a mountaineering boot or ski touring boot but ultimately if you understand the risks and variables why not? Those bindings look pretty beefilly engineered and have the caliper strap so I can see that they might work. Fatboards look like a gimmick based on a weak premise - ability to go to apres without changing footwear.

fatbob, the number of people I know that do, all only have one reason - comfort. Personally, I stick to skiboots. I have an old pair of Salomon REs (the expensive Salomons are lying in the loft unused nowadays). At the end of the day, I just flip up the back lever and I can comfortably walk around in the bar.

BTW I did actually send the FatBlades team/person an email, asking what their market research was - still waiting for a reply.
snow report
CH2O wrote:
ysb33r, wait until you try real skis!!! Toofy Grin

I have. Maybe one day I'll go back and try out some fat rockered skis again. I am having far too much fun atm.
snow conditions
I understand, I suck at swimming but have great fun in the bath.
snow report
CH2O wrote:
I understand, I suck at swimming but have great fun in the bath.

ROFL. If you told me that in the pub, I had to buy you a beer.
ski holidays
Moving banter aside, as well as my own ranting, I thought I'll dig up some facts. Ok, consider them anectodotal experience, taken from those people I know who ride skiboards with snowboard bindings.

- Proper bindings are required. Two strap-bindings to not provide enough stiffness and lateral stbility. (Yes, you skiers out there that mentioned this, you are right). A three-strap binding is required.

- Boots. Use the stiffest soft-shell snowboard boots possible.

- Lift. Mounting the binding directly onto the board does not provide enough leverage, especially on fatter boards. You either need a special riser, or if you use a snowboard-boot binding specifically designed for skiboards, it will already have the extra height built in (2cm+).

I also raised a query with the FATblades team, and from the response I got, IMHO I don't think their market research was intensive. For one they did not even know about 'competing' products. Their response included patent attorneys, tampered images etc. Typicaly fight back stuff instead of explaining their market position.

If you look at the video that FatBlades posted, the rider pretty much stays flat and never gets into a real carve. I can postulate that is due to the lack of lift mentoned above. (Frankly, when you are on firm, groomed snow, riding flat on skiboards the whole time, you are better off switching to basic skis as you are not using the boards to their potential).

I hope this help. This is definitely not everyone's cups of tea and people have emotional attechments to the way they have been doing things for yonks. That is fine by me, but maybe this can at least give everyone a bit more of technical insight into the good and bad.
snow report
that's enough now, it's ballix.
ski holidays
ysb33r wrote:
Moving banter aside, as well as my own ranting, I thought I'll dig up some facts. Ok, consider them anectodotal experience, taken from those people I know who ride skiboards with snowboard bindings.

- Proper bindings are required. Two strap-bindings to not provide enough stiffness and lateral stbility. (Yes, you skiers out there that mentioned this, you are right). A three-strap binding is required.

- Boots. Use the stiffest soft-shell snowboard boots possible.

- Lift. Mounting the binding directly onto the board does not provide enough leverage, especially on fatter boards. You either need a special riser, or if you use a snowboard-boot binding specifically designed for skiboards, it will already have the extra height built in (2cm+).

I also raised a query with the FATblades team, and from the response I got, IMHO I don't think their market research was intensive. For one they did not even know about 'competing' products. Their response included patent attorneys, tampered images etc. Typicaly fight back stuff instead of explaining their market position.

If you look at the video that FatBlades posted, the rider pretty much stays flat and never gets into a real carve. I can postulate that is due to the lack of lift mentoned above. (Frankly, when you are on firm, groomed snow, riding flat on skiboards the whole time, you are better off switching to basic skis as you are not using the boards to their potential).

I hope this help. This is definitely not everyone's cups of tea and people have emotional attechments to the way they have been doing things for yonks. That is fine by me, but maybe this can at least give everyone a bit more of technical insight into the good and bad.

Maybe it's a trying to "ski" in snowboard boot thing but I have some pretty fat ass skis and I like to have my bindings as low to the ski as possible, and I can definitely get them on an edge...
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy