Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Blades!

Poster: A snowHead
parlor, rather than make a sweeping generalisation like that, how about giving a fact or two!
I mean, all these out of control skiboarders that you see, compared to skiers skiing over your skis in a lift queue, or snowboarders sitting in an inappropriate place, is it just that you don't notice the good skiboarders, cause you don't realise they aren't on skis/snowboard?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Wear The Fox Hat, not bothered about people skiing over my skis, I cause much more damage than that to my own skis so not really an issue. Snowboarders tend not to sit in the middle of anywhere where I ski - especially on pistes. There aren't that many things that annoy me on the hill... honest Twisted Evil

All I'm saying is watch them... I mean specifically the horrid little teenage idiots that have NO control but can get everywhere because the blades allow them to do that.

It's a all anecdotal evidence so wouldn't count anyway. Wink
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I have to say I have barely ever seen skiboarders on piste...... almost every 'kid' I have seen on skiboards has been in the park..... they just cant be bothered with on piste!

On the note of people skiing over your skis or the likes, i think it is worth noting that on skiboards (in the absence of poles), you need a wide berth in lift queues.... you have to do the duck waddle as I have been accused of, which means that you are at great risk of knocking people if they dont give you space!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
At the risk of being ageist I just reckon they look daft for anyone over the age of 16. Possibly there are exceptions e.g. if you're using them as a specific training aid but when you can get a quality 155cm slalom ski if you want short skis I don't see what real advantages blades have other than being easier to get started on. Plus having seen a couple of spiral lower leg fractures caused by non-releasing bindings I'd be wary of calling them a bit of harmless fun.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
fatbob, Well you risked it, and you are ageist!!!! I'm 52 and I use them because I just don't get on with skis, and rather than give up the alpine experience, i'll use anything that works. I've used short skis, as short as 120's and they certainly are not the same as blades!! Next you'll be telling us that dance music is only for the under 25's, and only teenagers drink alco pops - live and let live - don't be so conservative, or as they say these days "think outside the box" wink
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
sharon1953, you go girl!! Very Happy
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Sharon1953 - If they're what works for you and most of all you have fun then I'm all for it (I speak as a should know better kidult who bought his first twin tip skis last year!)

I just think that they are a lazy option for some adults who don't put the effort into learning to ski properly - and outside the park have few performance advantages - as previous mentioned less stable, lower speed plus the danger factor unless they have releasable bindings. What's truly sad is seeing someone off piste on a powder day struggling with blades. Even for moguls a narrow radius ski must be almost as easy to handle in the hands of some experienced.

Not that my opinion should influence anyone anyway - ultimately it sabout waht works best for the individual.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
fatbob, For lazy read:- Given up on all that technical stuff, only here for 1 week out of 52, want to see as much as I can while I can; not many years left to do this sort of thing, don't do moguls, don't do parks, don't do off piste, don't want to race, not in any hurry to get to the bottom, and my blades have release bindings!!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I'm struggling to see how blades/skiboards "look daft". They are after all just skis but shorter aren't they?

Quote:

I just think that they are a lazy option for some adults who don't put the effort into learning to ski properly

fatbob, now that was one hell of a sweeping generalisation - good skills!

If someone can't be bothered to learn to ski properly and therefore chooses to use blades, then fine by me as long as they put no-one else at risk. Ski/snowboard/blading/whatever trips are after all HOLIDAYS aren't they?

I've only used them once for a day, but I can say that they are tremendous fun. Even if they are not as fast as skis, they certainly feel fast. I also think they give a different experience to skis and you'll know what I mean if you get them in a steep mogul field.

Quote:

What's truly sad is seeing someone off piste on a powder day struggling with blades

I found them fine in cruddy conditions. While I wouldn't want to use them in really deep powder, they are IMO more versatile than you might think.

As a footnote, skis are better though Twisted Evil
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
conor, well those who are more expert than I, have explained that Skiboards, as oppose to snowblades, are wider, with more turned up tips, so can handle deep powder very well - but I haven't tried it myself.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I don't really want to get into a flame war - I was only saying what my opinion is. Should they be barred from the slope? Absolutely Not. Do they limit what you can do? I would say so. If they get more people enjoying the mountains who don't take to other methods then they are fine by me - I'm unlikely to be racing anyone on snowblades to get to fresh tracks.

I didn't even see many bladers where I skied last year but I have seen people trying to ski them off piste on a powder day and really struggling - it can't be fun having to posthole downhill! Maybe these are just individuals who'd made poor equipment choice.

Even if skiboards are 110mm wide in the waist they'll still have less surface area than a fat ski so can't possibly float as well in powder.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

I don't really want to get into a flame war

Spoilsport Evil or Very Mad

I also never see many bladers out there. Are they more popular in some resorts than others?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
conor wrote:
Quote:

I don't really want to get into a flame war

Spoilsport Evil or Very Mad

I also never see many bladers out there. Are they more popular in some resorts than others?

Must be, you hardly ever see them here and certainly not this time of year of course. When I ski in France it's always swarming with them.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I noticed them the most in Les Arcs I think. There were also a lot of monskiers there. Monoskiing sounds scary.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I use blades, so:
Are you saying that I am ainconsiderate out-of-control lunatic then ?

Evil or Very Mad
latest report
Didn't see this thread before throwing in a waffle about blades elsewhere. Obviously this is the place to be.

As someone rather overweight, skiing sucks. It's very hard work on your legs. But the fact is I love the mountains and cannot wait to get back every year. A friend suggested snow blades (not calling them anything else because I've only ever hired Salomon) and I have never looked back. On blades I can get over the whole mountain, including negotiating La Face in Tignes with little problem. This would NOT have been possible for me on normal skis. My legs would never have gotten me down the mountain on regular skis. No way no how.

I saw someone on here say "pay for proper lessons" but I'm afraid for some of us that just doesn't cut it. I can swim 2km in 45 mins, run two miles reasonably comfortably, and consider myself pretty fit (for my build!), but I find skis very unforgiving of carrying extra weight. The thighs the limit as they say! Very Happy

Snow blades are a great tool for those of us who want to enjoy the mountain but aren't the classic skier's build.

It's quite amusing to see people on here talk about banning snow blades as they are all inconsiderate, out of control lunatics. I have no interest in jumps, extreme speeds, or anything else - just want to make the most of my time on the mountain! So that one sole snow-blader you see taking their time, enjoying the scenery - I guess that must be me!
snow conditions
Parlor - that is real funny - first - the ski-injury website states skiers as being the biggest cause of accidents on the slopes 2nd if you were inverbier last season - the majority of accidents there were caused by out of control skier on skis - not skiboards ot of our group 4 of the snowboarders were wiped out for the season by out of control skiers.

Maybe if they had been on skiboards learning skills they might not have caused so many accidents.

Anyone out of control on the slopes is a menace and a danger to others.

But out of the skiboarders here how many are skaters - where do you rank yourself in skating skills ?

Sharon I have just ordered the salomon 99 with release bindings - what do you think of them, have you been out onn them much....?
latest report
obelix67,
Hi Obelix
I have a set of them & in my opinion they are great fun.
Not tried them in deep powder but seem to work on everything else, I find they are so controlable that I can ski places I wouldn't dare on normal ski's.
For simply going out & enjoying yourself without wanting to do tricks & high speeds they suit me down to the ground. My skating skills are not so good, need to do some work on that skill!
Smile
snow report
You certainly cannot ban them - they are a great source of amusement!

Never fails to make me chuckle flying past some muppet who thinks they are "fun" - whether they are i) arms flailing totally out of control on steeps ii) Stuck on a flat or iii) goiing over a 'jump' and whooping over the 6inches of air they have acheived.. first rate comedy!

As long as they stay out of our way, and don't expect me to be remotely impressed about the fact that they can "cover all terrain except powder" - what does it matter what some numpties choose to strap to their feet!?
latest report
I use my blades because I enjoy them, amazingly that's why I go on ski holidays, I ski in control without arms flailing & don't whoop over 6" jumps.
People should be able to use whatever they like without suffering insults from others.
Evil or Very Mad
ski holidays
I use my blades because I enjoy them, amazingly that's why I go on ski holidays, I ski in control without arms flailing & don't whoop over 6" jumps.
People should be able to use whatever they like without suffering insults from others.
Evil or Very Mad
ski holidays
Do we have any golfers? If so consider this- a bladed iron is harder to hit, grooves a more accurate swing, allows for added control and strictly speaking goes further. A game improvement iron will give false good results ending up in a less accurate swing, they wont go as far and they are harder to manoever your shots. If you consider those points, you wouldnt be wrong in comparing bladed irons to skis and game improvement to skiboards..... yet I am certain that 90% plus golfers use cavity back type clubs..... as an experienced golfer, I could laugh at lesser golfers who use clubs that look like shovels and who dance about in joy when they break 90.....

As for them looking silly on anyone under 16..... well you need a safety check! Skiboards are NOT recommended for kids (unless you get kids specific). If you set a 12 year old out on skiboards, there is a good chance you are actually putting them at increased risk!
ski holidays
buns,

Far too general. You have to be much more than competent at golf to use blades and enjoy golf rather than peripheral weighted clubs. Any chimp can use skis.
ski holidays
On the contrary flicksta, head over to www.golfrewind.com (a golfing snowheads....) and you will find a considerable number of beginners using blades to 'groove' a swing. You will also find a considerable number of experienced golfers who recommend this. By this interpretation, any chimp can use bladed irons too....

By the way, I dont subscribe to using blade irons. I use the best suited gear. In my view, someone inexperienced and an infrequent player will have more fun and lose nothing by using the most up to date 'shovels'. Get to a good level and that changes. Likewise, as an inexperienced and infrequent skier, I have more fun and lose nothing by using skiblades as opposed to skis...... maybe this will change, but at the moment I have no desire to move onto skis.....
snow report
buns,

Nope, not buying it. Blades and PW clubs still play the same sport. You aren't skiing on blades. I'm not trying to pretend skiing is some uber-sport and you aren't 'doing the pure thing man', but they are very different. Golf is same size ball, same hole, same sport, irrespective of clubs. Any chimp can use blades badly for a while then get good. Skiing is easier than golf, but a immeasurably margin.

I don't see many new golfers with blades either. They want to get out onto the course too quickly and learn bad technique. Their impatience and loss.
ski holidays
Hmmm - I started Skiiing 30 years ago, I started skating 34 years ago, I have played semi pro hockey and consider myself to be a reasonable skater.

A number of guys I practice with over here have been trying to get me to go skiboarding for the past 2-3 years.

So this season I am trying it.

Fkicksta - dont agree with this golf analogy buns started with but - the joy of golf is the variety of course - however a lot of the more modern courses come across to me as too similar - the old courses - not so much.

Anyone played blade rugby on here ? Anyone interested in playing - it will probably be at St Bernard.......

Cheers
latest report
But I have been argued to so many times that blading is just an offshoot of skiing and is deep down the same sport...... If not, no skier has any place telling a blader what they should and shouldnt do.....
snow conditions
Yeah - but horses for courses - live n let live - dont play bush play human - who gives a toss - in my opinion as long as you are not putting other people at risk - on skis, skiboards, snowboards, or any other sporting snow accessory - let people live and enjoy the sport.

I hate when I sound lefty.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Ok the blades arrived today - half tempted to put them on grab a torch and head to the hill at the end of our drive........maybe tomorrow in daylight hours first
ski holidays
ken_1969, bravo Very Happy , you are obviously someone who goes on holiday for a good time.
ski holidays
magicrichard,
Quote:

You certainly cannot ban them - they are a great source of amusement!

Indeed they are a great source of amusement - I enjoyed them almost as much as my skis!

Quote:

Never fails to make me chuckle flying past some muppet who thinks they are "fun"

I'm glad you are having as much fun as the bladers you are overtaking (like I said earlier, blades feel faster than they are which ups the smile factor Toofy Grin )

[quote]
Stuck on a flat

I found them easier to skate on flats than poling on skis.

Quote:

goiing over a 'jump' and whooping over the 6inches of air they have acheived.. first rate comedy!

Isn't it great when people have fun on holiday?

Quote:

As long as they stay out of our way, and don't expect me to be remotely impressed about the fact that they can "cover all terrain except powder"

Interesting point, in a "what are you talking about kind of way".

magicrichard, sorry to interrogate your post, but it was a great source of amusement and never failed to make me chuckle wink
snow report
All the pro blade arguments have been re the non-negatives and nothing which has persuaded me they'd be a positive improvement on skis for a competent skier. If I'm not having fun skiing (very rare) then I doubt messing around on blades (even though they "feel faster") will improve my day.

It's natural that bladers will take a bit of stick on a pre-dominantly skiing forum, same as monoskiers potentially - although I have the greatest respect for competent monoskiers as to me it is the hardest alpine discipline to master, blades being the easiest.

I don't really understand the age limit thing on blades - aside the non- releasable bindings point which would obviously decrease safety - are construction or dimensions so different from skis that a kid would not be able to turn a pair like a pair of skis, I guess it would be that the flex is designed for adult weights?
latest report
I have to say I am somewhat confused by last post.
So using blades is not skiing then ?
My snowblades are 1 metre long with proper bindings, ie they are like normal ski's but shorter. what length do they need to be before I can join in this skiing forum ?
As a user of both normal length ski's & snowblades I fail to see what the differance is as the skills required are exactly the same (unless I am doing one of them wrong!).
The only differance I can find is that they are slower (not very stable at high speeds), probably won't work very well in deep powder (I haven't tried) but are more fun in tight twisty off piste (I can ski places through trees I wouldn't dare go on full length ski's).
Why all this negative (they are rubbish) attitiude? Shock
ski holidays
fatbob, I posted some comments in the past about using blades to improve your skiing.
Two things they get you doing are:
1. Finding your balance - you can't get away with being too far forward, or in the back seat - you have to get centred
2. Carving on both skis - leave one flat, and it rattles.

So, there's a couple of positives that can help a skier get back into skiing at the start of a trip.

As for the length issue (it's not an age limit), for shorter people, they do not have as much strength in their legs, so in a fall, they would be more likely to injure themselves on a full length ski board, hence there are shorter ones out there for shorter people.
snow conditions
Wear The Fox Hat wrote:

Two things they get you doing are:
1. Finding your balance - you can't get away with being too far forward, or in the back seat - you have to get centred

This is why I ski on blades occasionally, in much the same way as I occasionally ski with all my boot clips undone. As WTFH said, it helps remind you where your centred position is. I also have a go on blades on the basis that "a change is as good as a rest". Can't see any harm in that. Provided you're enjoying yourself and not being a menace to others, does it really matter what your weapon of choice is for sliding down the hill?
ski holidays
Quote:

although I have the greatest respect for competent monoskiers

I've got to pick you up on that:
1. monoskiers look ridiculous (all that waving your back bottom around business)
2. monoskis were the original solution for peole who couldn't ski powder on skinny skis - not so impressive
3. they are a totally flawed piece of engineering (flats - worse than boards, impossible to carve on)
4. they only ever had a point in powder and have been made totally redundant by fat skis and snowboards and yet I still see one or two every season

why oh why oh why...
snow conditions
provenjohn wrote:
I have to say I am somewhat confused by last post.
So using blades is not skiing then ?
My snowblades are 1 metre long with proper bindings, ie they are like normal ski's but shorter. what length do they need to be before I can join in this skiing forum ? Shock

Our sports are skiing, snowboarding and skiboarding. Strictly speaking, a snowblade is the wrong shape and has the wrong binding mounting to be considered a skiboard. So if you were to try and convince a skiboard forum that your snowblades were skiboards, they would as readily tell you that they werent as skiers would tell you that they arent skis!

Those who are skiboarders will say snowblades are basically very short skis....
snow report
You've lost me !
Think i'll go and post elsewhere Puzzled
ski holidays
provenjohn, he's lost me too!
snowblades = Salomon trademarked name for their type of skiboard
And these fall within the definition here: http://www.internationalskiboardfederation.org/definition.htm
snow report
Does anyone really use the term "skiboard" anyway - surely they're all snowblades - it's just one of those trademarks like Tannoy or Hoover that has replaced the generic term. Reminds me of the damn French refusing to call snowboards snowboards, and "surfs" instead...
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy