Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

La Plagne 2013 / 2014

Poster: A snowHead
From personal observation it seems quite common to bash unpisted runs early in the season. I would guess that it helps form a stable base to minimise the dirt coming through?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
ukredsox, i haven't noticed any difference how the black runs are listed in the piste map, but maybe I've just missed something obvious.

red 27, i'm not sure about those two runs above Les Coches (Murs and Pelees). Are they groomed? I've always thought of them as pretty piddly runs - nothing to compare to Rochette or Les Coqs or Chaiupe. Maybe I should revisit them and reconsider. On my list for this season. snowHead snowHead
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Jonpim I was referring to prior years.

Check out the difference between the last two piste maps in the archive http://www.perso-laplagne.fr/CollectionPlansPistes.htm

This year's piste map on the OS reverts to the earlier format re Blacks
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Why did they remove the "Coqs" chair ?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
ukredsox, its a question lots of us are asking.
The simple answer is they moved the chair to replace the old Bauches chair.
But that leaves the question of why it was thought sensible to leave only the La Roche chair for getting back to Plagne Centre from Montalbert.
And its a long way round if you just want to ski the blacks off the ridge above Aime 2000
Of course, the La Roche restaurant must by rubbing its hands with glee.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Jonpim, Yes normally groomed in my experience and also deserted which scores extra points in my book.

Long they ain't, but they're steepish and full of interest down through the trees there.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
ukredsox wrote:
Why did they remove the "Coqs" chair ?

It is one of 5 lifts being removed to justify the new Gondola from Montalbert to the top of Fornelet. Sad

The future appears to be new major lifts and delete the minor ones.
The new Biollet lift and landscaping in Plagne centre led to the removal of 4 other smaller lifts.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
ukredsox,
Quote:

(** not that you'll catch me on them, groomed or un-groomed )

Nobody likes a show off! Very Happy
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Strax Yep, that's me, always off piste. No way am I someone who crawls along down the Blues in utter fear of Reds let alone the Blacks. No sireeee, Embarassed
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I am looking at going to La Plagne 1800 in two weeks time, I havent booked anything just yet but I want to know what the conditions are like before I part with my money. I am pretty new to snowboarding so I would only be booking at the Blue runs.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
eamoss I don't think that there are any webcams in 1800 too check the specific conditions in that area.

However, the Bergerie webcam (just above Plagne Villages) and the RdM webcam, give a pretty good view of current conditions

http://www.la-plagne.com/en/winter/news/webcams.html

I know one person who's already skied from PV down to 1800 this season, so things must be looking OK down there.

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Mon 2-12-13 15:04; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Either there's some picture distortion on the RdM webcam that makes people look very small or a space alien was wandering around at 11:40

http://laplagne.livecam360.net/rochedemio?t=2013-12-02+11-40-00

Also looks like someone's testing out the chair lift
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
eamoss, Look at the Montalbert webcam, Montalbert is 400m lower than Plagne 1800 and doesn't open until Dec 21st! snowHead
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Plenty of snow at 1400 with more poss at the weekend......
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Hi Res piste map now on Perso Plagne
http://www.perso-laplagne.fr/PlanPistes.htm

The Glacier blacks AND Derochoir are shown as Piste Natur i.e. Ungroomed.
snow conditions
boredsurfin, Told ya NehNeh Smile
ski holidays
The pdf piste map on the OS differs from the scanned copy on PP in terms of the status of some Black runs
latest report
I see that there's a dusting forecast for later in the week.

Do we have any on-site reports yet regarding conditions ?
ski holidays
We're here in Belle Plagne this week. Pistes in very good conditions considering but a thin base with stones/grass poking through in places. Cold temps and lack of snow keeping the top crusty and grippy but quite hard underneath. No off piste at all. About 20% of the ski area open but other areas being prepared, presumably for next week.
snow report
snowhound, over the other side it looks "interesting", with the floodlights on and all.
Methinks needs some more snow to tidy the place up bit.
Fingers crossed - I'm going out on Wednesday. snowHead
ski holidays
Pistes harder and more icey today and more and more stones appearing. The snow forecast had better deliver....
Heard an Oxygene instructor on the lift today saying that their Head Office had had a meeting with the lift company to complain about a) the restricted number of runs open; b)the lack of pisting on some blue runs-E.g. Murs off the top of the Rochette hadn't been done overnight, 10 am it was hard moguls. Its a key linking run and was carnage.

Also a big thumbs up to the boot fitter in Skimium El Pro shop in Belle Plagne. Went in there this morning with my ankles screaming in pain-long running issue I've had with boney ankles-and in fifteen minutes he had fitted something around the heel of each liner which completely sorted it. Should have done it four years ago but hey ho....Best use of £25 since I bought my wife's engagement ring Laughing
ski holidays
Hi,
looking at the lifts and pistes open for the paradiski area, I was wondering how much will be open for next week over Christmas - are the results in a "dormant state" at the moment or is it a lack of snow that is causing some of the pistes and lifts to not be open? Puzzled
latest report
I am there next week, i hope its more about saving things Puzzled

All i keep saying to myself is some snow is better than sitting at my desk at work
snow report
Yes, the instructor on the lift said they were trying to save both pistes and money, reckoned it wasn't worth them opening any more given how quiet it is; bit annoying given we've had no discount on the lift pass-unlike in Les Arcs. Champagny sector is definitely opening on Saturday for example.
latest report
Yep the snow cover is thin BUT 3 years ago it was all manmade on the lower slopes at Xmas, and then it heaved it down New Years day! snowHead
ski holidays
I think most of the area is due to open on Saturday along with the vanoise express. It looks like it is due to snow on Thursday, forecasts varying between 10 and 20 cms.
It doesn't look like the two red runs into Champagny village will be open but I imagine most of the higher Champagny sector will be.

Meteo France are forecasting bad weather for Christmas Day and Boxing Day so hopefully we will have a white Christmas. Very Happy
snow report
How accurate is the online Lift/Piste "open or closed" list

http://www.skiplan.com/bulletin/bulletin.php?station=la-plagne&region=alpes&pays=france&lang=fr

The "Boulevard" Green run under the La France building in PC has been shown as closed every day so far. Without that link, how does anyone get to the Bergerie lift from PC ? Do you have to cut down between the buildings?

The Aollets drag by PV also shows as still shut.

I stay at the top of PV, so that one's key for me in order to get over to Bellecote without having to go down into PC first
ski holidays
ukredsox, you could go round from Centre or Aime 2000 to 1800 then up Melezes to the bottom of Bergerie
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
jirac18 wrote:
ukredsox, you could go round from Centre or Aime 2000 to 1800 then up Melezes to the bottom of Bergerie

Somehow I doubt that's what they'd recommend. If that is the case, I'll be walking down from PV onto Ecartee

I doubt that Boulevard is actually closed, because that's also the main beginners slope in PC. I suspect that its a blip with the Open/Closed page.
snow report
We went through under the buildings down to the bergerie lift this afternoon. Getting a bit bare there but definitely open. Snow forecast for tomorrow
ski holidays
A double post, but I think you guys in La Plagne would like to read about our day over your side today.

A group of us went over the other side today (drove round and parked at the La Roche chair) to play on the Bellecote Glacier and in the bowl before it get's skied out now that the old itineraries are being reopened as 'Piste Natures' this season (if they ever open them).

The pistes on the way over to the Glacier and coming back to La Roche parking were all in reasonable condition. Hard packed with firm chalky snow on top helping you to grip, but also the odd patch of ice AND some small annoying stones (some not so small) that would dig into your ski bases. Be careful stopping and remain in control, the pistes are quite fast everywhere right now.

Once off pistes we found very mixed conditions. The glacier area had excellent snow cover and was fun to ski. The entrance to the Bellecote Bowl has been changed slightly and the old wooden barriers on the path are now gone. The snow changed rapidly from crust, to slab, to soft snow, to crud and everything in between. I really enjoyed the long steep chalky faces we skied. It made people concentrate on their turns. The bottle factor !! played it's part today! Then came the soft snow and the chance for nice easy turns. I would say we managed to find just about every variation of snow texture today. Excellent training even if some did find it a challenge. Remember if you do go off piste make sure you know where you are going, have all the safety gear and if you are not sure, take a guide. It is tricky out there now to find good snow amongst all the difficult stuff or stay on the 'Pistes Natures'. When open the 'Piste Natures' should be avalanche safe and still really challenging and fun to ski.

Overall there is about as much ski area and lifts open in La Plagne as in Les Arcs with the glacier area open in La Plagne today.

After a long morning we had a late lunch and then a few more piste runs and a photo stop at the top of the Funiplagne with mostly clear blue sky all day and not the winds that were predicted. One thing for the kids, it is worth coming over for the tunnel down to Plagne Bellecote from the Roche de Mio. Just as good as last year, maybe even better.

For those coming out to Les Arcs it is well worth buying the 'one day explorer ticket' for La Plagne with your weeks ski pass. There is loads to ski in La Plagne and it makes a nice change from Les Arcs, plus you get to ride on the Vanoise Express as it opens this Saturday.

Hope all those out for Christmas have a great holiday on both sides of the Vanoise Express. I still favour Les Arcs, but the La Plagne side comes a close second. Very Happy Very Happy

Photos will have to wait until tomorrow as I am off out now.
snow report
rdsweb & snowcrazy - Thanks for the "on site" reports.

The amount of snow expected over the next day or so seems to have diminished from earlier predictions. Still, anything helps.
ski holidays
Snowing in Belle-Plagne at the moment. TV said between 30 - 50 cm last night but we shall see
snow conditions

Mont Blanc with Belle-Plagne in the foreground yesterday afternoon.

Been snowing all morning today with no sign of it relenting.

Ken
snow conditions
rdsweb, it certainly didn't look like that today!
Cloudy in the morning, and then the snow started about 10am.
It has continued all day: nothing spectacular - just a gentle trickle (maybe 5cm in total)
Pistes mostly empty. Often we saw no one.
Some cloud came through this afternoon to make things even more interesting.

With a bit more snow forecast for tomorrow, there should be just enough to make it through to the major storms forecast for Christmas Day.
snow report
Jonpim, I did say it was yesterday!

Stopped snowing at the moment in Belle-Plagne but piste bashers are working overtime
snow conditions
Anyone who's in La Plagne at the moment able to confirm how much of the white stuff has fallen in last 36 hours and whether its had any impact on piste conditions at all?
ski holidays
Up at Roche de Mio there has been a fair amount extra maybe up to 10cm but lower down not nearly as much here in Belle-Plagne. Having said that it has been snowing all day and is forecast to continue this evening. For some reason it doesn't seem to be producing much depth.

For those about to come out I wouldn't worry unless you're after off piste which has been practically non-existent all week and visibility is too bad to try at the moment. On piste we've had a really good time and it's even better now

Ken
ski holidays
Looks perfect to me, also note another camera is on and working... Alas all in cloud today it appears Little Angel
snow conditions
rdsweb, I did notice your picture was Wednesday. snowHead I was just pointng out the contrast to yesterday.
Same today. This afternoon even worse. Couldn't see a thing. And no access to the trees above Montchavin.

chopkins13, I would mirror rdsweb's comments.
It has trickled down snow for 2 days now - not much (5-10cm) but added a little fluff the the surface.
The conditions are nowhere near what they were last year.
There are a few rocks here and there, but generally you will ok until the snow arrives (hopefully) at Christmas.
Lots of pistes have remained closed until tomorrow. They will be virgin and yummy.
Saturday will be quiet apart from a small surge of weekenders later on.
So that is just 3 busy days until the Christmas Storm (may the Snow Gods be blessed).
(I'm off on Christmas Eve to Scotland for Christmas with family - no skiing, just eating and drinking)
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy