Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

La Plagne 2013 / 2014

Poster: A snowHead
Off-piste from glacier OK ?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Plenty of fresh snow this morning and still falling lightly in Champagny village, maybe 5cms at village level. I can hear lots of blasting so probably plenty more higher up, it was raining in the village yesterday so will be interesting to see how much has fallen above 2000 metres.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
What's going on in La Plagne today folks? Is it really as warm as Snow-Forecast.com is saying? (+4 C) How's the snow holding up in such January warmth?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
chopkins13, looks fine on the webcams. snowHead
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyone know why theres so many reds shut and why all the runs on the Bellcote glacier are shut?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Glacier normally closed when weather is bad or the resort is generally quieter and they don't 'need' to open it.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Does anyone know of a launderette in La plagne/Les arc? Staying for 2 weeks and packing 2 weeks worth is a nightmare with weight limits, so would like to do a wash while i am out there.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I'm going to La Plagne next week, and I'm also worried that there seem to be so many runs shut. The blacks especially look appalling, with less than 1 in 4 open. What's going on? Is it a snow cover issue? What are the chances of being able to ski some challenging runs next week? Sad
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
tccambs, could be more a snow sliding issue rather than snow cover.

Are you on the Geneva flight from Newcastle this Saturday? Thats what I'm on.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
No Rich, I'm flying from Stansted. Quite a few of the guys I'm going with are on the Newcastle flight though.

Edit: Sorry, just noticed you're going on Saturday - we're all Sunday to Sunday.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thankfully, colder temps are due by the weekend with freezing levels going back down below 2000, hopefully!

Have safe trip, tccambs! snowHead
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Dont suppose theres much we can do about it apart from be annoyed if its not a safety issue. Not too keen on paying £230 to cruise around on blues all week tho! Ive emailed the promotions office to see if they have the reason. We may hire a car and go to Val desere a couple of days if its still the same. I cant believe theyd shut runs to save money just because the resorts quiet, that would be very short sighted of them.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Another one heading out on Saturday and a little irritated by the number of pistes closed. Les Arcs looks (a little) better but I was really hoping for most runs to be open by now...I guess it was always too much to hope for the reinstated Rochu/Bellecote to be open! Reds too...If Mont de la Guerre is not open in Jan then when will it ever be open?!

In current sketchy avalanche conditions I'm not really happy skiing these when closed...also would probably be skiing them on my own as I'm not sure my other half is quite ready. It seems to be a lot of the 'Natur' runs that are currently closed, presumably due to avalanche risk.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
xander89 wrote:
Does anyone know of a launderette in La plagne/Les arc? Staying for 2 weeks and packing 2 weeks worth is a nightmare with weight limits, so would like to do a wash while i am out there.
There is a launderette in Montalbert near the Tabac, I would guess there would be one in Aime 2000 and Plagne Centre, pop into any tourist office in Plagne and ask.

Alan p price, belette, Last week two of the Reds in Montalbert were opened, there was not really enough snow on them and they quickly became worn through to mud and shrubs! I notice they have closed again.

The simple fact is there has not been enough snowfall, it rained last week up to 2000 metres and the temperatures have only been hovering around freezing all day and night. Therefore conditions for snowmaking have been marginal as well.

Last seasons December and January snowfall was exceptional.

Mont de la Guerre is rarely open this early in the season.

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Tue 7-01-14 12:32; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Alan p price wrote:
Dont suppose theres much we can do about it apart from be annoyed if its not a safety issue. Not too keen on paying £230 to cruise around on blues all week tho! Ive emailed the promotions office to see if they have the reason. We may hire a car and go to Val desere a couple of days if its still the same. I cant believe theyd shut runs to save money just because the resorts quiet, that would be very short sighted of them.

there are a few blacks and the majority of reds are open. I would say that there are probably safety issues. Especially with the warm temps now its probably a precaution. I would hazard that most of the runs will be open by next week. There is easily enough to explore over both areas.

I am pretty sure you can find some challenging off piste as well. Not going to lie, more often than not I am not a fan of black runs as I have been down some with giant moguls which end up just being tedious, don’t have issues with them, but I have pretty terrible knees for a 24 year old and they tend to just put me in pain more than anything else. Much prefer to dart off into the trees and get some fast reds.
snow report
xander89, There is a launderette in Plagne Centre you can ski down to, just next to the entrance to where the good crepe bar is and also the gondola up to Aime la Plagne.

Today has been a beautiful day in La Plagne, blue skies, sunny, warm (it was showing +14 at the top of the Champagny gondola this afternoon) and the pistes are in good condition. The slopes are pretty quiet and we didn't have to queue at all.
The Bellecote glacier was open but I don't think the black nature pistes were listed as open although there were plenty of tracks visible

Mont de la Guerre looks patchy towards the bottom and is closed although a few people had been down it yesterday. I think they will try to protect it as it is the 'Derby du Mont de la Guerre' on the 19th January, an annual race open to all with prize money of 1200 euros.

Forecast is for the good weather to continue this week, it looks like it will cool down at the weekend and meteofrance are forecasting bad weather and cooler temperatures from next Monday.
I'd say snow conditions were around normal for this time of year. I think they are managing the lifts from a safety aspect rather than a finnacial aspect, there was a fatality in La Plagne the first week of the season and there are lots of slides visible.
snow report
skichampcouk wrote:
xander89, There is a launderette in Plagne Centre you can ski down to, just next to the entrance to where the good crepe bar is and also the gondola up to Aime la Plagne.

Today has been a beautiful day in La Plagne, blue skies, sunny, warm (it was showing +14 at the top of the Champagny gondola this afternoon) and the pistes are in good condition. The slopes are pretty quiet and we didn't have to queue at all.
The Bellecote glacier was open but I don't think the black nature pistes were listed as open although there were plenty of tracks visible

Mont de la Guerre looks patchy towards the bottom and is closed although a few people had been down it yesterday. I think they will try to protect it as it is the 'Derby du Mont de la Guerre' on the 19th January, an annual race open to all with prize money of 1200 euros.

Forecast is for the good weather to continue this week, it looks like it will cool down at the weekend and meteofrance are forecasting bad weather and cooler temperatures from next Monday.
I'd say snow conditions were around normal for this time of year. I think they are managing the lifts from a safety aspect rather than a finnacial aspect, there was a fatality in La Plagne the first week of the season and there are lots of slides visible.

+14, jebus, i guess the air temp was more in the 2-3 region? How is this affecting the snow? The white stuff melting fast?

Bit disappointed that my first day skiing will be at the end of the hot spell= work conditions. Hoping for snow in my first couple of days though. Should be something on the Monday if we are lucky

Thanks i will check the launderettes out when i am there. Smile
snow report
Thanks for the info
Anyone know if the ski rental in plagne centre has improved over the past few years? last time I went it was a bit low on quality and selection in almost all the shops. I found the Skimium shop to be the best then. Have any of the others upped their game since?
snow report
xander89, The snow was in quite good condition, no rocks or stones showing on piste, it felt more like a March day than a January day. The snow wasn't slushy and the days are short so the sun doesn't really have the time to melt the snow higher up.
latest report
Alan p price, try Oxygene at Centre. Great service good quality skis well maintained. Good value on-line too
ski holidays
A beautiful day for skiing in La Plagne today, blue skies, sunshine, relatively cold and some good snow conditions to be found. The black off Rochette and the red (Gavotte) off le biolley had decent snow and were very quiet today.
10 cms of snow forecast for tomorrow evening / night and 20 cms on Thursday and Friday should freshen things up a bit. The long term forecast is for bad weather next weekend and early the following week so should bring some much needed snow to the lower levels.
ski holidays
Just started snowing 'heavily' here in Montalbert, hopefully much more to come as certainly need it at the moment! Very Happy
snow report
6 to 8 inches of fresh on my balcony in 1800 this morning.
ski holidays
Still snowing in Belle Plagne, off out to find some trees.
ski holidays
Snowing again in 1800. Gently, but has been coming down for a few hours. Wish they'd open up some of the closed blacks, as there would definitely be enough snow, but it doesn't seem like they're planning to.
snow report
Fanatastic powder day today, at least on the Champagny side. This morning was very quiet with ankle deep powder on the pistes on the Champagny side and very quiet.
skied over to the La Plagne bowl and the pistes were a bit busier so decided to go back to play in Champagny.
Tomorrow should be good with sun forecast and no doubt most of the pistes will have been bashed.
ski holidays
Looks amazing this morning athough I'm in the office today Sad Hoping for a ski day tomorrow so I'll let you know . . .
ski holidays
Snow and Sunshine, What are you doing in the office that couldn't wait on a day like today snowHead
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
B@stards! Sad I'm in office too. But mine is 600+ miles away.
Looks wonderful. snowHead
latest report
Took an off piste lesson with reflex this afternoon. There's some unbelievable powder if you know where to go, but there are still a lot of rocks just beneath the surface. We're due another snow tomorrow night, so I'm hoping it will be possible to do the north Face of the Bellecote on Friday.
ski holidays
Quote:

What are you doing in the office that couldn't wait on a day like today

Catching up on admin before my parents come to stay Sad

Had a great ski yesterday though. Cloudy with slightly poor visibility but really good snow underfoot, and some nice fluffy off-piste at the side of the runs. Off to les coches today for a ski but visibility not looking great -snowing today!
snow report
I take it back - stunning day today once the cloud burnt off. Snow, sunshine and a bit of powder on the sides of the piste. Tired but happy today!
latest report
It was a beautiful afternoon and some great snow around, better than had been forecast.

Looks like we are due quite a bit of snow at least for the next week, meteo France are forecasting some snow each day for the next 10 days Very Happy
snow report
I did the north face today; the route down to Peisy. Unbelievable virgin powder but visibilitywas very poor (I think this was why it was untouched though, so I'm not complaining too much). It cleared up amazingly in the afternoon though.
latest report
[quote="skichampcouk"]It was a beautiful afternoon and some great snow around, better than had been forecast.

Looks like we are due quite a bit of snow at least for the next week, meteo France are forecasting some snow each day for the next 10 days Very Happy[/quote]

Like! Very Happy I'll be there from Sunday. Really looking forward to it.
ski holidays
tccambs, North Face! Well done. Not sure i would have the courage in present snowpack conditions.
Glad you made it ok. What was the bottom bit like?
snow conditions
The snow was good, and our instructor was pretty clear that the avalanche risk is pretty low at the moment because all the snow is brand new thisweek.

The bit through the forest near the bottomwas pr etty hard going, and I was glad to be using hire skis because there werea lot of bare patches. The very end through the snowfield had good cover though.
snow report
So: top bit good, forest hard going, snowfield ok - more of less as usual then snowHead

I see no mention of people trying the re-opened Rochu and Bellecote runs
They are both closed today
(i was told one reason why they went off the map was because they were so often closed)
Anyone been down them this season?
snow report
I did the very top of Rochu on Friday to access the north face and there seemed quite a few people going down it past the closed signs. No idea how it is, but even on some of the open blacks (Morbleu) there was quite a lot of vegetation showing mid piste
snow report
Four of us arrive on Sat 25th. Hopefully some awesome snow but time will tell. Great to see some actual update each day rather than relying on snow reports.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy