Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

La Plagne 2013 / 2014

Poster: A snowHead
Looks like about 10cm here in Villages over night and still falling.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Similar amount in Champagny at 1250 metres, should be fun higher up Very Happy
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Similar in Montalbert......
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Roger C wrote:
Entick, ditto!

Hopefully boredsurfin is just too full of festive cheer to post an update.....

Laughing It didn't start until the wee small hours, snowplough woke me at six am road is covered again now snowHead and it's still falling.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Well we might not have got a white Christmas - but we've definitely got a white boxing day!!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
At last some good news on the snow front Very Happy

Thanks all for the updates, just waiting for Mrs C to finish work at lunchtime then we'll be heading down.....
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Have a good week Roger C, it's still falling right down to the valley - looking pretty nice!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Roger C, Even better news it's still snowing and quite heavily at times, low light means we have called it a day, sunshine all day tomorrow Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Still snowing Very Happy

The vis has been pretty bad all day so I've stayed around Villages and Centre.

A couple of my group headed towards Montalbert early on. They say that although there's been snow over there, the pistes are still ropey in places. Hopefully the bashers will get that sorted out over night.

The forecast for tomorrow is looking sunny, so that'll be an Arpette day for me and a Les Arcs day for the rest of my group.

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Thu 26-12-13 16:19; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
There appeared to be an avalanche rescue going on to one side of the Palsenbleu piste at around 12.30 has anyone heard more?
Hopefully everyone was OK.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Went out for one run came back after too many crashes, someone ought to signpost moguls under powder!

Heard about the rescue, no more info that your selfs.

Xmas meal was amazing. Small cock up in that oxygene told us to meet at the grande Roche gondola at 16:30 when the last car is 16:10 so we were left high and dry .... After a frantic conversation with a very nice chap at the office were offered snowmobile rides up to the top of the grande Roche for 7pm so we could still have our meal and a ski down. We watched the fire works and the parades which we would of missed had we been on the gondola. And the ride up top was scary as hell Toofy Grin

Not sure riding pitch black up a narrow track with a cliff to one side, two up, flat out is the safest way up but it made our Xmas day. Ironically my snowmobile ran out of fuel half way so we sat in the dark for 30 minutes awaiting the second snowmobile to return and rescue us, very nice views looking down into PB and the bathers all ploughing past us.

The snow didn't happen till 10 pm and we were almost all the way down when it came down, skiing with no torches at night is interesting when one cannot see one has to feel, and the speed is impossible to judge, it's like a white out, which came in handy for today. Had to avoid two piste bashers which was fun.

All in all holiday has been great pistes all skiable some rock, which will now be under six inches of snow, and a big big thank you to oxygene who went the extra mile on Xmas day with helping us out and plying us with Champagne.

We have one day left alas my knees and quads are now done in, I knew I would not make the whole week but then at 20 stone what did I expect, I have had an amazing time and the folks here with their advice helped me choose the right resort for us all.

As a foot note I took out the sprog on tunnel yesterday at near warp factor 10 Embarassed my fault but as always light was low and I was going to fast, one turn and I ran the poor chap over, he kept his calm and I am mighty impressed with him. Do I. Need a clip around the ears? Puzzled
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thread on the rescue here
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=105905&highlight=
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Looks like we're in for a spectacular day. Clear skies after a couple of days of snow
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Well skis are back at the hire shop I just couldn't do another run, my body is a wreck and that the best way for it to be, as I know i did the most I could of done with the body of an athlete, and in my case carrying a second one around my belly Laughing

The weather is amazing today and so are the conditions, anyone coming tomorrow will be happy as punch for a day or two at least.

A quick quote from ESF chap, La Plagne doesn't have ice unlike other places it just has hard snow.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

A quick quote from ESF chap, La Plagne doesn't have ice unlike other places it just has hard snow.

Laughing It would seem highly improbable that La Plagne has any ice at the moment, with nice new snow.
snow conditions
There is a bit of ice about, but conditions are near perfect right now, unlike my legs, and for my own sins a bit of belle belly due to eating all the funny stuff in the shops Shock
ski holidays
Yep, there's still some icy patches. It would need a few more days of snow and bashing to get rid of them all.

However, overall the conditions today were superb. I did another Tunnel run this morning and conditions were great. Even the bit from after the tunnel down to the restaurant had improved significantly.
snow report
Last day report after my legs finally gave up.

Still some icy patches in heavy use areas but generally very good under ski. However, the light has been very flat this morning as the clouds build in preparation for the forecast snow later in the day.

I hope that any of you heading to LP later in the season and those of you that are out here all winter have as great a time as our group has.
snow conditions
ukredsox wrote:
Last day report after my legs finally gave up.

Ditto... mine gave out on Thursday in the white out from hell, missed the great Friday of sun but i was happy as Larry to of had a ski holiday this millennium.

Got back home about an hour ago, word of warning for those heading back via Grenoble airport... DONT Neutral
snow conditions
Snowing again - gently at the moment but looks like we're due some heavier stuff overnight. Happy new year!
ski holidays
Posted over in the Les Arc thread:

f948lan wrote:
Used our one day paradiski pass to visit La Plagne Friday afternoon and the lower slopes there (above Montchavin) are much worse than in Les Arc - even down in Vilaroger this morning was better.

We're off to Les Coches on the 4th so these will be our home runs and I imagine the 2 beginer boarders will be spending most of their week around here.

I know it's snowing now and that there is more forecast but is there no snow making down there? Why would they be worse than elsewhere?
ski holidays
Hi Snow Hound,

There is snow making in Les Coches and Montchavin and it's snowing as I type!
snow conditions
Quote:

is there no snow making down there? Why would they be worse than elsewhere?

it's been too warm to make snow much of the last couple of weeks. Slope aspect makes a huge difference, too. And the amount of wear and tear. And the terrain - in some places the piste bashers can scrape snow onto the piste to keep patching it, but that's not always possible for various reasons.
snow report
A good few inches fell last night Happy

Via was not good in monty first thing but has now lifted nicely
snow conditions
Snow Hound wrote:
Posted over in the Les Arc thread:

f948lan wrote:
Used our one day paradiski pass to visit La Plagne Friday afternoon and the lower slopes there (above Montchavin) are much worse than in Les Arc - even down in Vilaroger this morning was better.

We're off to Les Coches on the 4th so these will be our home runs and I imagine the 2 beginer boarders will be spending most of their week around here.

I know it's snowing now and that there is more forecast but is there no snow making down there? Why would they be worse than elsewhere?

We're off to Les Coches too on the 4th and can't wait!

Glad there's been a bit more snow over the last couple of days but there seems to be plenty up top so not overly worried. There also seems to be a bit forecast over the next week also.
snow report
Lovely sunny morning and crisp temperatures -6 at the mo! Quite a few pistes still closed check out skiplan.com for the live update.
ski holidays
Fab skiing day today - found pretty much the only lift without a queue (the button by the bergerie chair)
snow conditions
Looking at all the webcams this evening. Seems all the snow cannons are on snowHead
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Oddly enough looking at the webcams of this year against last year the snow doesn't look bad at all. Seems the recent top up is welcome. But also seems like we have a good old load coming this week. Things seem to be shaping up nicely for my 2 weeks starting on the 11th. Seems like there will at least be a bit of snow most days this week with a big dump coming on sat. Pity about the temps and freezing levels though. Kind of why I love la plagne is that 99%of the skiing I do is 2k+
latest report
Snowing!!!!!!!!!!
ski holidays
latest report
Also seems after the next few days the whole of next week is going to be dry and relatively warm which isnt great for a chance of pow when i get there on the 11th, but hey, you cant win them all. any snow is welcome to solidify the base. Hoping for at least one dump when i am there for 2 weeks.

also what the fudge is going on with the temps :S. Monday and Tuesday next week we are looking at freezing levels of between 2500-2800m. Is it just me or isn't that usually warm?
latest report
More snow across La Plagne today Happy

It was pouring down when I headed back to montalbert for lunch
snow conditions
Just booked to les Coches on 19/1.
Never skied Paradiski before, so looking for an overview from those in the know. Comfortable on any piste, what do you think about lift passes, best areas to ski, les Arcs etc...
Look forward to hearing from y'all
CW
snow report
cardweg, if you've never skied there before, I'd suggest the Decouverte pass which gives you Les Arcs for a day. At Les Coches, you have easy transfer to Les Arcs and the slopes down to Vallandry are some of the best fun, but there are miles to explore in La Plagne.
latest report
Ham wrote:
cardweg, if you've never skied there before, I'd suggest the Decouverte pass which gives you Les Arcs for a day. At Les Coches, you have easy transfer to Les Arcs and the slopes down to Vallandry are some of the best fun, but there are miles to explore in La Plagne.

but if you're comfortable on any piste (and I assume therefore reasonably quick) and not skied Les Arcs before then definitely take the unlimited pass and spend 3 days in each resort and you've got a good overview of each. From Les Coches you could probably be in Les Arcs 1800 faster than La PLagne 1800.
snow conditions
What a fantastic choice you have made, as Ham says you are perfectly placed for both areas of La Plagne and Les Arcs. In my opinion I would buy the full area pass and not the Decouverte, I have been to Les Arcs the last 4 seasons and going in 3 weeks time and I have in the past purchased the Decouverte 1 day discovery for La Plagne and regretted it once I had used it as I really didn't manage to ski the full area of La Plagne and wanted to go back. Likewise with yourself if you ski over into Les Arcs for one day you will probably regret not getting the full area which is only an extra 20 Euro for a 6 day pass. Ok La Plagne is a huge area to explore but if you are so close to the Vanoise Express why not take advantage of it particularly if you are a competent skier, I stay in Arc 2000 which takes a good 30 mins to get to the Vanoise and I usually split my week between Les Arcs and La Plagne weather permitting of course.

Hope that helps and Happy Skiing.
ski holidays
Raining and +5c this morning, snow rain limit is at 2000m Shocked
ski holidays
Quote:

I stay in Arc 2000 which takes a good 30 mins to get to the Vanoise and I usually split my week between Les Arcs and La Plagne weather permitting of course.

I came back from Plagne Bellecote last week and it took 30 minutes - 15 minute queuing and getting up the Arpette lift and 15 minutes going down the crowded and rocky pistes. From Les Coches I would recommend a full Paradiski pass
snow conditions
cardweg, i agree with bertie bassett, willie5094 and johnE: go for the full Paradiski pass.
The conditions can be quite different one side of the Vanoise to the other.
And what areas will be best come the 19th is difficult to say: you'll just have to find out for yourself.
Enjoy.
(P.S. you won't have johnE's problems with crowds and queues in your week: the New Year hordes will be long gone)
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy