Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

La Plagne 2013 / 2014

Poster: A snowHead
Today was back to Wednesday's weather (as shown in rdsweb's picture above).
Clear blue sky, empty pistes, and Vanoise Express open. Pistes holding up well.
Les Arcs looking very good.
Lovely warm sun at lunchtime, but turned really cold come about 3pm as the sun started to drop down.

If you want an excellent value lunch, I recommend the Chalet des Colosses.
There you can get superb thick vegetable soup for €7.
It comes with a bowl of grated cheese, a big basket of yummy rustic bread, and slice of bread with toasted cheese - a meal in itself.
So good, we've been back twice.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Any snow today?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Entick, no.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Live from Plagne Villages.

We arrived about midday and were out skiing by 1pm.

Conditions around PVC and PC were better than I expected but apparently there were some dodgy patches higher up.

We'll probably head over RdM and Arpette tomorrow while the vis is still good. Looks like more snow but poor Vis as the week progresses
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
My guys popped over from Les Arcs today and reckon RdM was good! They tell me there were a lot of rocks visible off piste though!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks a lot for the updates guys. Appreciate any info you can post over the coming days!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Needs lots of fresh snow, limited amount forecast for December 25th, lift queues building for all the slow lifts.
Not sure the re-organisation of the gates for the Funi Plagne will make any difference to the queuing time!
+4c tonight so snowmakers not running either. Sad
Have avoided 1800 just in case it's really bad......
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Well, it snowed this evening!
Not a lot. About 2 cm. But every little bit helps.
It was rather warmer today than yesterday - maybe better to say less cold.
But, in contrast to some of the Glass-half-empty posts above, the place aint bad at all.
My residence is in 1800: fine here.
We've been down to La Roche (1550m), was fine there.
All of Champangy sector today was ok.
The runs down to Vanois are fine, and the ski area above Peisey was lovely yesterday.
Of course the place could do with more snow, and the Xmas/New Year crowds are going to cause significant damage unless there is a decent dump of snow soon.
Just what is heading this way Xmas day and Boxing day seems to vary hour by hour - could be 40+cm, could be nearer 20cm.
Fingers crossed
(I'm actually more concerned about that storm heading towards UK coz i'm meant to be flying into Edinburgh on Christmas Eve morning . . . Puzzled )

A plea: those initials (PC, PVC, RdM) - can we avoid them?
Those not familiar with La Plagne will not know what you are referring to.
And it is they who we should be helping most.
I fight a continual war in the NHS against initials
They don't help: they just confuse.
Plagne Centre. Roche de Mio. No idea what PVC refers to.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks for the update on La Plagne 1800 Jonpim, we have been avoiding it so far as historically it gets stony and wet when the snow cover is thin and baseless. We will give it a try later today snowHead
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Good morning boredsurfin, looks like it snowed a little more after i posted last night.
Yes, i reckon 1800 is fine, but i would never have considered it a destination unless you stay here.
Of course, often a good through-route to avoid a walk across Plagne Centre, and we like the Mere Grand Restuarant on the way down from 2000.
Looks good out there: clear blue sky and a little colder today - time to get going snowHead
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Jonpim wrote:
No idea what PVC refers to.

'V' is next to 'B' on the keyboard - perhaps that's your answer...
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Lunchtime report
Spring conditions best sunbathing on the terrace!
Seriously it's like April in all respects!
Interesting mogul fields turning up irrespective of run grading!

Jonpim
is quite correct conditions in 1800 are just fine (apart from a hole in front of the 1800 lift gates turnstiles.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Jonpim wrote:

If you want an excellent value lunch, I recommend the Chalet des Colosses.
There you can get superb thick vegetable soup for €7.
It comes with a bowl of grated cheese, a big basket of yummy rustic bread, and slice of bread with toasted cheese - a meal in itself.
So good, we've been back twice.

Perhaps you would like to add that post to this thread http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=2421708#2421708
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Fingers crossed for the snow that's forecast 25/26 to be plentiful

.......but that they clear the Montalbert access road for our arrival on 27th Very Happy
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Roger C, Kep watching, the Christmas Day boxing day snow may fall as rain below 2000m Sad Sad
snow report
Yes, Roger C and boredsurfin, they certainly need that snow!
The crowds were out today, and a lot of pistes got a hammering.
Beware "roads": any link that looks like a track rather than a piste.
Especially the track "Ramy" down from the top of the Aollets drag (wouldn't be surprised if this closed after today), and the track down from Aime 2000 back onto the Becoin piste.
So, skiiing is quite interesting just now: not only having to dodge learners and idiots, but also random stones and rocks.
Sure keeps you on your toes.
If you have some expensive special skis, I would leave them in the locker: get out some old skis, or hire.
You will be lucky to get through this week without some gouges in your skis.
For all that, we had a jolly day. snowHead
snow conditions
Jonpim wrote:
For all that, we had a jolly day. snowHead

Just goes to show that for all our worrying about snow conditions they don't really make much difference to our enjoyment of the holiday
latest report
Quick post from PBC it was a fantastic day, nice layer of fresh powder up om RDM, skied all day till about 3.30 when the world and wife descended on villages for last lifts , blues became moguls with rocks. But all said brilliant day, looking fwd to tomorrow.
snow conditions
red 27 wrote:
Jonpim wrote:
No idea what PVC refers to.

'V' is next to 'B' on the keyboard - perhaps that's your answer...

Yep, that was a typo on my part. I tried to edit but our wifi cut out.

Anyhow, the top part of the Tunnel was fine today. Plenty of snow on the steeper bits and smooth enough on the flat section to avoid pole use.

However, the blue run down from after the Tunnel to where it joins the Arpette piste was bare in places.
ski holidays
Jonpim wrote:
Yes, Roger C and boredsurfin, they certainly need that snow!
The crowds were out today, and a lot of pistes got a hammering.
Beware "roads": any link that looks like a track rather than a piste.
Especially the track "Ramy" down from the top of the Aollets drag (wouldn't be surprised if this closed after today

Is that why the long drag hasn't been opened yet this season?

From the chalet here at the top of Plagne Villages the Aollets drag was great for getting over to Bellecote avoiding the Bergerie queue
ski holidays
It does seem particulary busy this week for Christmas week to me. It normally is relatively quiet up until Boxing Day but it seems a lot busier this season.
Maybe it is because everybody is heading high for some snow or maybe it is because we were out on Friday and Saturday when it was empty.

Have found better conditions than I expected considering the last major snowfall was in Novemebr. Hopefully the forecast for Christmas Day is accurate and it covers up some of those stones.
snow report
Yes, skichampcouk, I thought it was busier yesterday than I remember it from previous years.
But maybe also due to good weather yesterday.
Last 2 years there was heavy snowfall and cloudy days, rather than yesterdays bright sunshine in clear blue skies.

Anyway, I wish you all a big dose of snow.
Enjoy your Christmas skiing.
I'm now back at Geneva airport hoping the flight to Edinburgh will get off ok
(looking good so far).
Will be back the end of January.
snow conditions
It's not snowing yet but a few clouds seem to be coming in and the forecast is looking set for a white christmas tomorrow!!
latest report
We are doing a snow dance in Casiopee right this second, abandoned skiiing for the day due to sheet ice on all bottom bits of slopes leading to lifts, top of Grande Roche is a minefield of rocks and frankly my legs are just made of rubber.... RDM closed today due to winds, But it's still amazing, took the 6 man chair out of PC to the ridge above Aime three times today as the runs along the top were in good condition, shame I am not.

Still a thousand times better than the office, just need to slow the sprog down as he has decided that after three days of skiing he is the worlds greatest and goes off at hell for leather speed oblivious of risk and others and he is always right, so if I stop and he comes tearing down the hill and crashes trying to cover me in snow (which there is little) he blames me for stopping or his mum who is no where near either of us.

Doing the Xmas meal at the top of Grande Roche tomorrow evening and the night time decent, a little concerned the piste maybe in a terrible state?
ski holidays
Paul_Bottomley wrote:
... the night time decent, a little concerned the piste maybe in a terrible state?
You might find yourself in the middle of a hefty snowstorm. Do you have a Plan B for the descent in case the weather is against you?
snow report
We are with oxygene so the guys will lead us, they also have the offer of the ski taxi which looks like a bath chair on skis and frightening as he'll itself. I am sure we will be fine as we have lots of deep heat for our knees

Realistically I think the lift will still be running should we wish to wimp out?
latest report
Paul_Bottomley, hopefully it will be OK (actually, hopefully it will be smashing down with snow) and I'm sure that Oxygene have plans to make sure you get down the hill in one piece. Have a great time, sounds like a fun thing to do on Christmas Day.
ski holidays
It was quite blustery this afternoon but the wind seems to have dropped now. No snow yet but it's still forecast.

As mentioned above, some lifts were closed due to the wind. However, it was still possible to reach Roche de Mio via blanchets and Carella.

I expected the Ecartee run under the Bergerie lift to be more sheltered but the wind was actually whipping right up the valley between Villages and Soleil.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Doesn't look like it snowed overnight here at 2100 in Plagne Villages.
ski holidays
A few flakes starting to come down now but nothing much
snow report
Falling now over in BP, sat eating lunch and the mountains all gone, gave up sking as it went all flat light on me. Ended up with a huge wipe out on tunnel. Thought I would shush the last bit only to find out there was a lot more bumpy and steep down hill bits Shock ended up walking back up hill for 30 yards to get my poles OOPS.

Think tomorrow is going to be amazing at this rate
ski holidays
Lunchtime report from Villages; snow still coming down nicely and the wind has dropped a bit so hopefully the new stuff won't get blown off piste
latest report
Raining sleet down here in Montalbert, so a nice restful day. Happy Christmas all snowHead
ski holidays
Quote:

he has decided that after three days of skiing he is the worlds greatest and goes off at hell for leather speed oblivious of risk and others and he is always right, so if I stop and he comes tearing down the hill and crashes trying to cover me in snow (which there is little) he blames me for stopping or his mum who is no where near either of us.

Laughing time for a clip round the ear, by the sound of it.
ski holidays
Afternoon report...........

That fog earlier on was a pain. I watched it progress up from 1800 and past Centre. When the fog reached the top of the Bergerie I decided to call it a day.

However it's now cleared and the snow's started again. Let's hope that it continues through the night
snow report
boredsurfin wrote:
Raining sleet down here in Montalbert, so a nice restful day. Happy Christmas all snowHead

Fingers crossed the freezing level drops this eve and it turns to snow

Looking very green in Monty on the webcam Sad
ski holidays
Roger C, I'll post if it snows.....
Local forecast says snow all night and all day tomorrow, same forecast said snow last night. Confused
ski holidays
Still no snow then... Hmm starting to get worried...
latest report
Entick, ditto!

Hopefully boredsurfin is just too full of festive cheer to post an update.....
ski holidays
Nothing doing in Les Arcs. A bit this afternoon, but didn't amount to anything really, and no snow so far this evening.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy