Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Atomic Atlas 192

Poster: A snowHead
hi everyone, my first post here but have being reading for a while now, and found snowheads to be v useful indeed.....

anyway advice needed on some potential skis i a shop near me

they are 192 atmoic atlas skis.... they havent being skied much but have got a couple of marks on them and they need a service...... the guys wants £100 for them but he hasnt being able to shift them, probably down to the fact that they are pretty long and niche type powder ski..... i was thinking about offering him something like £75 and setting them up as touring ski, i dont do that much walking but thought that that they might suit it..... i have a pair of bent chetlers 183 that i ski normally.... any thoughts? are they any good? would they work with a touring binding? what should i offer?

cheers

andy
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
125mm underfoot is quite a lot for a touring ski, though could work for short hikes on big days. Would also giver you a 'chargier' option compared to your Bents. For under £100 you can't go too far wrong, but it's pretty unlikely you'll find them great for hiking more than 30mins-1hour.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
cheers matt, to be honest 30 min - 1 hour walk is about my max! wink

cheers
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
ajc2260626, Buy them!! A great ski, possibly one of Atomics better "niche" skis specifically designed as a big mountain power house.

Description of the Atomic Atlas (by Atomic).At a width of 125 mm, the Atlas makes hours of backcountry powder snow skiing an effortless pleasure. Its Power Rocker 20 Camber provides optimum lift in powder snow. Its wood core and Step Down Sidewall L3 construction ensure lively performance and provide ultimate stability even during high drops. The Atlas makes even the most proficient of powder pros better still: e.g. former World Cup contender turned freeskier Daron Rahlves, who picked up Powder Magazine's "Best Line Award" with the Atlas.

(If you live anywhere near Otley, the skis you are tempted by are the 2010 graphics with the same construction as the 2012 Atlas.)

ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
yes they're the ones that i have seen so prob about 3 years old , they need some repairs and servicing but for the right price i would probably have them although they are probably only good for 2 or 3 days a year and my main skis are pretty good in this stuff already, hence i thought about a touring set up (only short hikes).....

do you know the shop in otley?

andy
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
If it's Glide & Slide then they're a very reputable outfit & large Atomic dealer.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
yep they are the ones, seem nice people when ever i have being in there, are you local to the area? my parents live in otley....
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
ajc2260626, As an Atomic main dealer Glide and Slide often get the left over demo skis from the previous season. I was tempted with these skis as a powder toy, they are a very good price for niche/custom ski. I ended up with some White Dots instead. I think the Atlas' are drilled for the Atomic (Salomon) FFG 14, so could easily be remounted with something similar. Glide and Slide should be able to help with some bindings. BTW, they have a state of the art ceramic edge/base grinder and any work needed on the bases would be a simple and straight forward job.

Best of luck.

BTW....... forgot to say that Glide and Slide have always given great service and great deals to me for a decade or so. They also stock some decent ski kit apart from a wide range of top class skis and boots.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
cheers, i will drop them a line and see if there's a deal to be done and ask if they think that it would sort a touring set up?... how did you find the white dots? i think that i bumped into the guys who distribute / make them (did they use to distribute icelantic?)
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
ajc2260626, White Dot's UK office is just outside of Leeds, I believe G&S are stockists for 2013/2014 season and will have a selection of WD demo skis. I've skied the Redeemer (edited) and found it phenomenally versatile for a big fat ski. Wonderfully well balanced, and despite the large footprint, easily "rolled" onto edges on hard pack where it skis much shorter due to rocker. Solid and well made, but imho price heavy.

edit to get the ski right .... apologies

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Mon 5-08-13 22:12; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
skimastaaah, thought the Preacher was trad. camber?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
clarky999 wrote:
skimastaaah, thought the Preacher was trad. camber?

It is. Traditional camber (10mm) twin tip. No rocker.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
clarky999, spyderjon, My complete and utter BAD!!! Brain freeze on this one!! It was the Redeemer and Zero camber/rocker tip and tail. Changed the previous post accordingly. *blushes*
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I've been on the atlas in a 192 for the last couple of seasons. I love them when there is new snow and for going fast and it chops through anything but it's def not a touring ski.

It turns slowly at low speeds and is stiff, wide, heavy and hard work in technical terrain. I skied the bent chetlers in the 192 for a season and would much rather tour on those. More manageable in all conditions and actually better float as they are a bit softer.

Hope that helps. If you can get them for £75 though bite their hand off. J
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
well got the atomics for the princely sum of £75 serviced, i am thinking of putting my saloman s14 on them and putting a pair of touring bindings on the chetlers? has anyone put some touring bindings on a pair of chetlers? do they affect the ski adversley?

andy
snow report
ajc2260626, given you're only doing short tours, stick a pair of barons or dukes (depending on your DIN). Ski just like an alpine binder, they're all I use these days (until I can afford dynafits), even for resort skiing.
ski holidays
cool, i usually have my DIN at 7 on my sth14's...... will touring bindings affect the way that the ski works? as someone told me that they would get a flat spot in them with touring bindings on....

also i was wondering about the new salomon bindings that seem a bit easier to use, as its a switch at the back of the binding which means that you dont need to take the ski off to switch them to tour....
snow report
In theory the plate/frame could affect the flex pattern of the ski, but in practise I've never noticed it.

You will need to take the ski off to put skins on though... I don't think there's all that much difference between the baron/tracker/guardian in reality (though I've only skied the baron so speculating a bit there!), just go with the best price.
snow conditions
ajc2260626 wrote:
well got the atomics for the princely sum of £75 serviced,.....

andy

Hope you dropped Ali a fiver for the cut and polish! You did really well, good on you! snowHead
snow conditions
had to get my ma to pick'em up but they will be getting more of my business and am sending my brother down there wink
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy