Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Chambery to Peissey/Vallandry at half term

Poster: A snowHead
Having received a bonkers quote for our preferred method of transport, the Eurostar to Bourg, we've now booked flights to Chambery.

What's the best way of getting from the airport and how hideous will it be? We can get return transfers for about €90 a head, or hire car(s) for a similar amount. Are there any advantages/disadvantages to either? Any recommendations/tips? And as the distance is only about 120km, what sort of time is it likely to take on the feb half term saturdays (flights artive/depart early afternoon)?

Thanks
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Consider the train - it's virtually immune to weather related road problems and isn't affected by traffic jams due to 1/2 term. Taxi to the station from the airport is a 5 minute ride. I think you can get off one stop before Bourg (Landry?) to make the taxi transfer up the hill to Peisey/Vallandry shorter.
I think most trains are of the stopping variety and don't break any speed records - but you will get there.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks, Dubaian, hadn't considered it. Do the airport taxis cope ok with ski bags?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Dubaian wrote:
Consider the train - it's virtually immune to weather related road problems and isn't affected by traffic jams due to 1/2 term. Taxi to the station from the airport is a 5 minute ride. I think you can get off one stop before Bourg (Landry?) to make the taxi transfer up the hill to Peisey/Vallandry shorter.

You really need to pre-book a taxi if you're doing that - Landry is a 'no-horse town' sort of a place, and you won't see the taxi drivers queuing to take people up the hill...

http://www.peisey-vallandry.com/taxi-liste_afnors-A2LIAI[A81TRA-654-ETE-UK-PEISEY_VALLANDRY.html

As to how long it should take to drive , I've only tended to do LYS or GVA which is 2 hours most times but I know on peak days can be 5 or 6. so Chambery could be anything between 90 minutes and 3-4 hours..
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

We can get return transfers for about €90 a head, or hire car(s) for a similar amount. Are there any advantages/disadvantages to either?

Unless you are going to make positive use of a car during the week, I'd go for a taxi transfer if the price is similar. Even waiting in the queue to get your hired car can be a pain at busy times and you might have to grapple with snow chains (especially as that hired car quote is unlikely to include winter tyres) and digging it out of a metre of snow. Or paying for covered parking.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
andy from embsay, It depends on what time you land - if you can clear Moutiers by 10am, you should be ok driving. But I think Dubaian,'s suggestion of the train is the best & least frustrating solution. The train stops at Landry (the stop after Aime) & definitely best to book a taxi to meet your train. Be prepared for that to cost you an eye-watering 60euros though! There is a bus from the station, but they won't take luggage on a Saturday rolling eyes In cahoots with the taxi drivers I think..
Best book your taxi for your return trip too.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
andy from embsay, Drop the snowheads at www.ski4funtransfers.co.uk a line, there may even be a snowheads discount.....
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
andy from embsay, don't think they are airport taxis so much as normal town type taxis. Haven't tried it with a ski bag but you'll probably find an estate car, or a minivan, or one with a roof rack in amongst all the standard cabs. Chambery Airport is very much a ski holiday destination - you won't be the first with skis.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
andy from embsay, Altibus run a reasonable bus service from Chambery airport to most of the Tarentaise resorts, it is around 50 euros return. More details here http://www.chambery-airport.com/IMG/pdf/navettes_altibus_transneige_et_maurienne-2.pdf . It is last years timetable, they don't usually produce the following season timetable until around November time.

Looking at the timetable you would have to get off at Landry and then either the local bus or a taxi from there. A quick search for local busses produced this - http://www.peisey-vallandry.com/free_schedules_between_villages-fiche_village-N-CORRESP-212-HIVER-UK-PEISEY_VALLANDRY.html
But from what genepi says it seems pointless catching the local bus if they will not take your luggage. I could understand the skibus not wanting to take luggage but not the bus that goes to the station.

I'm not sure how reliable the busses are over that side of the valley but they are usually good for the services to Champagny (and they accept luggage).

It's worthwhile talking to the people you are renting from or even the local tourist office to find out how reliable the bus service is to Peisey Vallandry. The roads are usually very busy at February half term so delays are to be expected.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Sounds to me like a hire car will be the least hassle.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

Sounds to me like a hire car will be the least hassle.

how is hiring a car, quite likely having to fiddle with chains, maybe pay for parking or have to dig out of a snowdrift less hassle than being driven door to door by a professional?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I was comparing a hire car to the train (taxi to station, train, taxi to resort) and bus (wait for bus, bus to aime via God knows where, taxi to resort) with a hire car, as opposed to comparing it to a door-to-door taxi.

Chains and snowdrifts can indeed be a problem, but in my experience it's rare.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Assuming I can get from Landry to Peisey (it's actually Nacroix, not Vallandry I think) then I quite like the local train option - bit more hassle but the thought of an epic road transfer with kids is horrid. It's 90 minutes Chambery to Landry and costs about £15 a head each way.

Thanks for all your ideas - keep 'em coming!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I expect either option is good. I quite like being master of my own destiny and hate waiting for coaches/trains etc. of course, the real killer for the train/coach is that they only run 3 times a day, so you could easily have to wait several hours even to start your journey. Lord knows what you do if our flight is delayed and you miss the last train. IME the journey by hire car is dead easy and far more relaxing. Take/hire a satnav and the trip is easy. If you are doing self catering it also means you can go via a supermarket.

One more thought, even with a bad traffic jam en route it will probably still be quicker than train etc?
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
foxtrotzulu, trains only run 3 times a day? Looked on Rail Europe and there seems to be a direct one every 90 minutes or so, right up to 8:30pm.

Time-wise our flight gets in at 1400 - train at 1600 into Landry at 17:30, assume we'd be in resort for 18:00 or just after - so yes, possibly an hour or so later if we get a clear run, but this is Feb half term Saturday (if it wasn't that weekend I'd be far more tempted by the hire car option.)

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Sun 4-08-13 16:45; edited 2 times in total
snow report
Quote:

Take/hire a satnav and the trip is easy

it's very straightforward; even the navigationally challenged should be able to cope without coughing up for a satnav.
snow conditions
andy from embsay, You're right. I was looking at the bus timetable.

andy from embsay, Remember what bertie bassett, said. 90 minutes on a good run, or 3-4 hours if you have bad jams. You're schedule by train is already 4 hours with no possible upside. Cost-wise, I doubt there is much in it either way.

I think much of it boils down to what you, personally, find least hassle. For me, it would be the hire car. For you, I suspect the train. Chacun a son gout. (Apologies for the lack of accents).
ski holidays
I'd agree that if it weren't THAT weekend I'd be hiring (or transferring, as I think it's cheaper) for definite - but if the plane touches down at 1400 I assume that on a busy day we wouldn't be away either on transfer, hire car or taxi much before 1500(?), then a good run sees you in resort at 1630 (it IS only 120km, I think?) - but that could easily be 1730 if it's busy - the train arguably has that certainty. Thing is I've only skied in the Tarentaise once, having always gone for Flaine/Morzine with the kids because of the reliably quick transfers. You hear horror stories about half term Saturdays, but I guess the other factor is if Chambery's closed and we end up being diverted to Geneva and then we'd be at risk of missing that last train...

Have you done that journey at half-term? Are the horror stories true?

Decisions, decisions... Confused
snow conditions
I've done similar journeys at similar times of year and never had a real problem. Since 1985, the worst I've had is an hour's delay en route. Take a bit of a straw poll here, but personally I'd vote for the car every time. Don't forget you have to do the return journey too and that is likely to favour the car as well. How old are the children?
latest report
Ours are 11 and 13 - there's another family with tiddly ones though (although I guess another reason for hire car over transfer is we wouldn't need to stop for a wee/bugling as we'd be in a different vehicle!). Very Happy
latest report
11 & 13, ..... They should be more than happy with the car journey. Honestly, I know the train is an option, but the car can be SO easy it's well worth taking the v small risk that it will be longer. Make sure you don't rent from whichever is your airline's preferred car hire supplier. You end up in the longest queue! And if you are organised, let one of you charge through to the desk and let the rest of the family get the luggage off the carousel.
ski holidays
andy from embsay, It's your holiday do you really want all that extra hassle? Pay the extra and hire a car or book a transfer.
The cost is directly related to the hassle factor imho.
I have driven to French/Swiss ski resorts every half term for nearly 20 years.
The queues are indeed horrendous.
But they are simply avoided by getting to the resort between 10am and 3.00pm and leaving no later than 7.oo am.
latest report
Quote:

Make sure you don't rent from whichever is your airline's preferred car hire supplier. You end up in the longest queue! And if you are organised, let one of you charge through to the desk and let the rest of the family get the luggage off the carousel.

Very very good advice! foxtrotzulu,
latest report
boredsurfin wrote:
andy from embsay,
But they are simply avoided by getting to the resort between 10am and 3.00pm and leaving no later than 7.oo am.

But the flight arrives at 1400, so we're stuffed there, and leave at 1440 so we'd be in the airport for about 6 hours!
ski holidays
andy from embsay, Chambery at 14:00 I reckon you would just scrape in with minimal queuing Toofy Grin
But yes stuffed on the 14:40 departure, I bet the TO's would have you out of resort at 5am!!

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Sun 4-08-13 18:53; edited 3 times in total
ski holidays
foxtrotzulu wrote:
11 & 13, ..... They should be more than happy with the car journey. Honestly, I know the train is an option, but the car can be SO easy it's well worth taking the v small risk that it will be longer. Make sure you don't rent from whichever is your airline's preferred car hire supplier. You end up in the longest queue! And if you are organised, let one of you charge through to the desk and let the rest of the family get the luggage off the carousel.

I'm wavering, our kids'll be fine... Everything I've read is that the road after Albertville WILL be horrendous on Feb half-term Saturday (and it's Paris school hols, I think) both arriving and leaving - so I guess I have to decide whether it's a small risk or not.
latest report
boredsurfin wrote:
andy from embsay, Chambery at 14:00 I reckon you would just scrape in Toofy Grin But yes stuffed on the 14:40 departure, I bet the TO's would have you out of resort at 5am!!

1400 tends to be the wheels hitting the tarmac though, eh? That's why I don't think you'd be in a hire car or a transfer much before 1500, which makes the taxi/train/taxi option less of a drag. We'd just end up with a bit of a wait at the station.
snow report
andy from embsay, Thinking about the return, as long as you get down to Chambery early you could kill time in the town rather than in the airport.

Hmm, sounds like a private transfer is really the most hassle free option...
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
andy from embsay wrote:
Everything I've read is that the road after Albertville WILL be horrendous on Feb half-term Saturday (and it's Paris school hols, I think) both arriving and leaving - so I guess I have to decide whether it's a small risk or not.

You may get stuck at the peage leaving Chambery and the one before Albertville too.
snow conditions
boredsurfin wrote:
andy from embsay, Thinking about the return, as long as you get down to Chambery early you could kill time in the town rather than in the airport.

Hmm, sounds like a private transfer is really the most hassle free option...

Probably is if the stories are worse than the reality, but Dubaian's suggestion is a 10km taxi ride which would presumably see you at the station for about 3:15. A coffee until the train at 4. A 90 minute train journey. Then a pre-booked taxi the 7km to our chalet. If it works it'd be fine - but I guess the more moving parts there are the more there is to go wrong!
ski holidays
andy from embsay, indeed.... Too many cogs in that machine for my liking.
ski holidays
andy from embsay, ETA Chambery at 1400 should be OK. When the airport is closed it's usually for fog (it's right next to the end of a lake in an enclosed valley) and that is more of a problem for the early morning arrivals. The sun and /or a breeze usually shifts it as the day goes on.
latest report
ThanksDubaian, it's a tricky one and no mistake!
latest report
andy from embsay, If it's any consolation, don't forget that everyone else on your flight will be heading for the snow and that 99% of them won't even have thought about any alternative to going by road. They will just jump in their hire car or TO coach and arrive when they arrive. I'm the worst person in the world for over-engineering, micro-managing things, but this might be a good time to 'chillax' about the whole thing and just make sure you have a big bag of sweets for the journey.
snow report
Good call, foxtrotzulu!
ski holidays
andy from embsay
Quote:

trains only run 3 times a day? Looked on Rail Europe and there seems to be a direct one every 90 minutes or so, right up to 8:30pm.

Are you looking at the Summer or Winter timetable?

They usually only display times up until 3 months ahead on the SNCF site and probably the rail europe site and I'm not sure there are as many trains in Winter as there are in Summer.

If you look at the latest timetable for that route it is only showing trains up until December 2013 and it looks like a lot of the midweek services are by bus - http://telechargement.ter-sncf.com/Images/Rhone_Alpes/Tridion/52aff_tcm-31-19889.pdf
latest report
Yes, but that timetable runs until December (so isn't really a "winter" or a "summer" timetable - it's just a "Half 2" timetable) - and this is a Saturday, so I'm assuming it'll be at least similar next year.

If I'm wrong that'll be the decision made - transfer by road.
snow report
andy from embsay, If I can find an old Winter timetable I'll let you know, not sure if I have one at home but I'll have a look. It will be at least Friday before I can have a proper search but I'll see what I can find.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy