Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ruroc Helmets am I worthy?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
So after reading your rules of the slopes and reading a couple of reviews I'm having second thought on getting a Ruroc

Ive just had a bone graft in my jaw and will be having more surgery before I go boarding, the procedures wont be finished however so I am concerned about falling on my face (gonna happen) I would stick to rule 5, but I'd rather prevent my face from caving in Wink

I looked into full face helmets and could only see the Ruroc other than motocross style helmets, but I have since read reviews that the face mask is just for warmth and does nothing for actual protection, some claiming that it is actually more dangerous in a crash.

Plus I'm an amateur so don't feel worthy of a full face helmet yet!

Thoughts?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
if you don't mind looking like a huge phallus, go for it
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Arno wrote:

+1

If you really want lower face protection look at mountain bike full face helmets from the likes of 661 or Race focused ski helmets with attachable face guards like POC or Briko.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
wiplash, you clearly need something which offers adequate protection for your jaw. If the Ruroc's mask is just for warmth then it hardly fits the bill. YOu could look at ski race helmets with a chin guard thingy. Yes you will look something of a twit boarding in one, but you'd probably look worse for longer if you fell on your face without protection.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Arno wrote:

He already mentioned the boarding.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
fatbobs correct, POC do the Sinus range with adjustable/removable chin bars or the Cortex which costs an arm leg and whatever other appendages you have going spare.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Ruroc: as you say, they're not structural, so pointless for your issue.

I don't understand why people who wear helmets snowboarding don't wear full-face helmets. Perhaps there's some evidence-based argument for that, but I've never heard it. I can only guess that the reason is the prick one: fashion.

I once rode with a guy who used full-face helmets, who was also the fastest guy on the mountain. He was adult enough not to care much what kids or old men thought he looked like.

You can get race helmets with chin guards, but those may well be for protection against slalom poles which isn't I think what you're talking about. Anything removable is probably not designed for crash protection.

Personally I've a considerable amount of money invested in American dental work. I don't see any particular risk associated with my type of snowboarding in that respect. If you don't do ballet on rails, then I can't really see how you'd hit your face short of head butting a tree, which will give you bigger problems. I've had multiple surgeries with grafts etc, and even when I was going through that I didn't stop boarding. Note that the American approach is a little different from the UK's. You could ask your surgeons, but I think you need to judge your risk as they can't do it for you.

Longer term, implants are designed to break where you want them to break, and although I've not damaged mine, it's less of a risk in my view than for those without. My teeth will break cleanly at the abutment; the replacement cost is less than ordinary teeth and will not involve surgery.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

I don't understand why people who wear helmets snowboarding don't wear full-face helmets.

Overkill?

Quote:

I've a considerable amount of money invested in American dental work. I don't see any particular risk associated with my type of snowboarding in that respect. If you don't do ballet on rails, then I can't really see how you'd hit your face short of head butting a tree

... as you seem to believe yourself. Puzzled
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
wiplash, I can't comment on the Ruroc, but I've been using the Sweet (ski) fullface for kayaking and have nothing but good things to say about it.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
[quote=philwig]

I don't understand why people who wear helmets snowboarding don't wear full-face helmets. Perhaps there's some evidence-based argument for that, but I've never heard it. I can only guess that the reason is the prick one: fashion.
[/quote]

Maybe for the same reason that, with the exception of racers, skiers don't wear full face helmets. They are overkill for recreational use, and in the seasons I've spent boarding there has never been a time when I've needed the protection from a full face helmet during a fall.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I say go for it;

Uber cool

snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Now I see what the posters above meant about looking like a phallus.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Mosha Marc, Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin ...if only Blush
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
pam w, if you know a chap whose helmet looks like that one then perhaps you should suggest that he seeks medical advice. Laughing
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
pam w, Lizzard, ...or we could go into business with him...think of the films we could make, exhibitions, merchandising.
This time next year, we'll be millionaires Rodney!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy