Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Straight skis for beginners?

Poster: A snowHead
A couple of recent threads have led me to question the wisdom of starting beginners on shaped skis

1. It seems that people can over progress without nailing fundamentals.
2. I had a genuine lightbulb moment that progressing intermediates have difficulty with getting weight on the outside ski early in the turn because they've only ever skied on shaped skis

With straight skis you might lose some easiness but you certainly have to get the weight on your outside ski and develop rotary skills as without extreme athleticism you aren't going to be "carving".

So, notwithstanding the fact that no-one makes them and that many instructors themselves won't have skied straight skis what are the drawbacks of a bit of back to basics?

After all everyone tells us that fat rockered skis are for cheaters wink
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Pfft, leather boots and wooden skis surely!
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
meh, I was thinking Lesson 1 - how to chop down your tree.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I'm sorry... have a slipped into a time warp back to April 1st 1985?

"Carving" = Skiing.

When you learn to ski you are learning to carve as soon as you can control your speed and safety using snowplough. There is nothing in between these stages apart from the elusive bit that seems to be conjured up by those that haven't had lessons since about 1985!

For point 2 you just do turns lifting the inside leg before the turn and putting it down back into a traverse... that sorts that out.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Carving =/= skiing, it's only a small element and the space for clean carving is elusive for many skiers.

Because you can ski relatively effectively by tipping over a sidecut ski and sitting there, I can see why people can get locked into the nervous ninny or the backseat blue bomber stance. There is a bit bit that you indicate is made up otherwise why do instructors do endless bracquage drills etc.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

"Carving" = Skiing.

Puzzled surely not. I sometimes despair, as I look back at my tracks. Fair amount of smear; not that much carve. Try to reduce the smear; but hard to eliminate it entirely.

Don't see any point in starting beginners on straight skis - things which make sports more accessible for beginners are to be welcomed, surely? There were plenty of people who skied badly on the old skis, too, if they were not well taught.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
carving = skiing....

This is what you learn to do. Some can do it some can't do it as well as others... some strive to do it properly, some don't care and plod along as they see fit, some are professionals.
Then you adapt this to suit your needs and what you enjoy the most; be it off or on piste, race or bumps.
A fast hockey stop to hockey stop to hockey stop is not taught at the basic level... well doing it to stop is.
So... carving = skiing as this is what you are immediately taught how to do... even though you may not be able to do it perfectly every time etc.. etc.. etc..

Learners are taught how to ski on modern skis... they do not need to be able to ski on a straight ski.
Back seaters or 'ninis' just need more lessons or help. Nothing to do with ski shape.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I heard the same argument for climbing, you need to learn on big boots to get your footwork right. Just not true.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
The type of ski matters very little when learning the fundamentals like posture, flexion, balance; or even further on to pressure, tipping etc. However, modern skis are easier to learn on simply coz they are shorter, lighter and easier to manage, so progress can be quicker (witness FC & Handman).
IMO, every skier should start on short SL skis then work 'up' to GS (straighter) to polish their technique. Personally, I have too much fun on my short SL skis to want to change.

I hear what you say though. A bit like the introduction of huge racquet heads in squash or larger, cavity-backed clubs in golf...it became a lot easier to learn, but the fundamentals were the same.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
...acually, maybe not on tipping....that's what making a turn so much easier on modern skis.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
When teaching very small kids, at first i thought the ones that turned up on straight skis off ebay were getting the short straw.

9 times out of ten they picked up a snow plough and turning much quicker, therefore progressing onto the mountain faster.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
flangesax, it's pretty sad if people really are only being taught to carve, they'll be buggered in bumps, tight trees, on steep narrow runs and for a lot of off-piste skiing. Although I get the idea you might be using your own definition of the word rather than what everyone else thinks of as carving.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
meh,
not really my own definition.
carving = skiing
I have never had to teach bumps, tight trees or steep narrow runs to those immediately progressing from snow plough.
And that is my point... the definition is now so cloudy... when you learn to 'ski'... replace the word ski with carve... cos that is what you are taught.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
What % of skiers carve? 5, 10, apart from anything else it would be dangerous on most crowded pistes.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
flangesax, so what you actually mean to say is not carving equals skiing but carving is what most beginners think they should learn to do and what most/some instructors teach to them. Rather than giving beginners a sound understanding of the fundamentals of the various ways you can steer a ski well?
latest report
Most people stop using instructors after learning to 'confidently' ski i.e. parallel, stopping, carving (linking turns), safety and often in groups where time with one student is limited, if not impossible. I still use instructors now and then with my husband for private lessons. He's newer to skiing and he's certainly taught to ski with a varied technique and I pick up loads. I think it depends who teaches you and what they believe are the fundamentals.
snow report
When you learn to turn without using a snowplough you are learning to 'carve' the turn... so lets forget the word 'carve' and just call it a 'turn'.... simples.
So in simple terms if you want to learn ski down a piste and link some turns without using a snowplough you are taught the fundamentals of 'carving' (=skiing)... how good you are at it is irrelevant.

Of course you develop your skills appropriately for what how/what you prefer to ski.
Of course you need a varied technique for different conditions and styles.

So if you learning to ski you are learning to carve so in short... skiing = carving
snow conditions
flangesax, so why call it carving rather than skiing? There is a reason why the technique has specific terminology associated with it.
ski holidays
Loads of beginner skiiers would benefit hugely from learning how to manipulate and understand their skis, rather than just using them to traverse a slope in a uniform manner and relying on experience to bring on the rest. Especially in difficult situations. All in my humble opinion of course.
ski holidays
this is now just getting silly....

please use your own noggin' to work that one out rather than hassling mine!
ski holidays
flangesax, well that was a house of cards.
latest report
fatbob, I don't think that a ski with very little sidecut is going to encourage beginners (or anyone else for that matter) to develop good all-round skills. If a ski is not being used effectively, for example being pushed sideways at the start of a turn, does it matter if it is an old straight ski, a modern piste ski or a fat rockered ski? Whatever it is, it's still being pushed sideways and therefore not influencing the line that the skier is taking. When a ski is being used effectively it will provide immediate positive feedback to the skier, so why should we deny beginners (or anyone else for that matter) the increased performance that modern ski designs have brought? After all, won't a bit of positive feedback help a skier to develop their skills?
snow report
rob@rar, but it would keep all the grockles out of the powder leaving more for me and fatbob!
snow report
ALQ wrote:
The type of ski matters very little when learning the fundamentals like posture, flexion, balance; or even further on to pressure, tipping etc. However, modern skis are easier to learn on simply coz they are shorter, lighter and easier to manage, so progress can be quicker (witness FC & Handman).

I don't know much about skis, and have had minimal instruction, but I haven't had the bigger picture explained as to what skills/habits to maintain & blend into the mix & what to discard. I do know that Sideslipping IMHO has been a vital bridge in my journey. Now I am starting to "carve" & I was told my ability to rotate the ski will be needed later. I imagine on steeps n narrows where carving is of little or no use ?
TBH I just want to see Handman ski
Please share a thread/link/vid anyone? I can't find him
Toofy Grin
latest report
jjc james wrote:
When teaching very small kids, at first i thought the ones that turned up on straight skis off ebay were getting the short straw.

9 times out of ten they picked up a snow plough and turning much quicker, therefore progressing onto the mountain faster.

I've seen this while teaching Adults. Straight ski's certainly aren't a block at the beginner level (and sets them up nicely for racing FIS GS later on Laughing ).
snow report
franzClammer wrote:
Now I am starting to "carve" & I was told my ability to rotate the ski will be needed later.
No, that's not correct. Steering the skis by rotating/twisting/skidding them is a necessary skill for all skiers, not a more advanced technique that comes 'after' carving. Steering your skis with a large element of rotation means you ski more slowly than just using your edges, so generally skiers will use more rotary control when they are in the first stage of learning, only moving on to more of a clean carve when they have the skills and the confidence to control higher speeds.
snow report
under a new name wrote:
rob@rar, but it would keep all the grockles out of the powder leaving more for me and fatbob!
Well there is that, which would indeed be welcome wink
snow report
rob@rar wrote:
franzClammer wrote:
Now I am starting to "carve" & I was told my ability to rotate the ski will be needed later.
No, that's not correct. Steering the skis by rotating/twisting/skidding them is a necessary skill for all skiers, not a more advanced technique that comes 'after' carving. Steering your skis with a large element of rotation means you ski more slowly than just using your edges, so generally skiers will use more rotary control when they are in the first stage of learning, only moving on to more of a clean carve when they have the skills and the confidence to control higher speeds.

Thanks for clarrifying that
Now where's this Handman? .....Send forth your champion Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Just looking round the slopes, a fair number of skiers making their way safely down a mountain (especially on anything steeper than a nice cruisy blue run) are nowhere near doing any carving.
snow report
franzClammer wrote:
Now where's this Handman? .....Send forth your champion Toofy Grin

Scusi!! I meant Happychap
Dunno why I thought Handman...something to do with keeping hands up....maybe Toofy Grin
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy