Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Insurance for BASI 1

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Just wondering if normal ski insurance is sufficient for doing basi 1, the basi website is clear you need insurance and says it will be checked before the start of the course but isn't clear on any extra cover you need other than suggesting you buy their insurance. I am insured through DSV who will get me off any mountain in Europe after any kind of skiing, I am assuming this will be ok for the L1 course?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I guess it depends what exclusions your insurance has, nothing hazardous in the course (or there wasn't indoors where my daughter did hers).
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I'm just reading the info and they say the instructor will check the insurance before we start the course, I don't see anything in my insurance that should exclude me but just wondering if there was something specific basi want you to be covered for
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
If you are doing you BASI1 in a fridge/dryslope in the UK then really what insurance do you need? Conventional ski insurance (even annual policies) don't necessarily cover artificial slopes, they are more about cancellation, rescue, repatriation, none of which require cover (IMO) in the UK.

Can you give a link to where on the BASI website it says about insurance cover?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I'm doing at Hintertux, it mentions Insurance on the course page and on the registration info I have

http://www.basi.org.uk/content/hintertux-.aspx
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
lynseyf, does your DSV over you for off piste? There's a fair chance you'll get taken off the side for fun/a test if you're doing an outdoor course. Can't say I've ever actually seen a BASI Trainer check someone's insurance, though. I'm sure it's only really on the website to cover themselves against litigation.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Ah, you are not doing it the UK. Good to see BASI are now doing L1s in the Alps again.

In which case yes you will need conventional ski insurance cover. Any should do (of course read the policy) as you are unlikely to be heading off piste ...
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
RobW,
Quote:

as you are unlikely to be heading off piste ...

Depends how much they've dumbed down the course from the old days. I certainly got taken off piste on the Tignes glacier when I did my BASI Foundation course (the predecessor to L1).
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Raceplate, yeah I specifically checked, it covers any type of skiing anywhere, touring, off piste etc. should be ok then.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
lynseyf, just check there's no exclusion for professional training courses.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
beanie1, DSV is Deutsche Skiverband - the German Skiing Association (i.e. the German version of BASI is included) and they run their own training courses, so I doubt very much if there is an exclusion!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I think any holiday insurance will do (subject to no pro training exclusions). I've never had my insurance checked by the Trainer at the start of the course, although I've had plenty of fellow candidates withdraw from courses through injury so wise to have a policy in place that you're happy with.

RobW, as far as I know L1 courses have always been run in the Alps (as well as in the UK). I was on the first L1 course (after it replaced the old Foundation week) which was run in Val d'Isere.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
rob@rar, There was a time when no L1 courses were running in the Alps. A good friend of mine was living in Austria at the time and wanted to do his L1, but found to do so he'd have to come back to the UK - which seemed a bit daft so he went with the Austrian system instead. It may well have only been one year...

I did my foundation in the US in '98. It was actually run as two-week course, one week personal performance followed by a the "normal" foundation course. Some foundation courses did continue in the US for a few years, dunno if they ever ran any L1 courses there.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy