Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

High End Ski Jacket advice

Poster: A snowHead
I know we all love decent kit. I want to treat myself to something that will last..

Currently I have a really cool United Riders Pro boarder jacket. Got it cheap from a dealer about 5 years ago. It has ALL the bells and whistles and I've never been wet or cold in it. However its a little bit big for me, and I'm a skier so I want something a little more nimble and better fitted.

So I want to spend some good money on great piece of kit. £400 ish

My short list is:

The North Face Free Thinker (2013, but can't find any for sale, or wait for the 2014 whenever that gets released in the uk?!)

The North Face Enzo

Some kind of Salomon - not sure which one is best

Spyder?

Arc'etrix

Any opinions on the above would be greatly appreciated.

Also I have a few questions.

What is an All Mountain Jacket.

What is a Freeskier jacket

ALSO and importantly, will I be cold in a Gore 3L pro jacket as they seem to be really thin? Will my normal thermal and fleece be enough to keep me warm in one? My United Riders jacket has a tough cotton weave external and a lined internal and I'm never cold in that....

Anyway thanks in advance boys and girls, help me spend some money!!!

Ta
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

Also I have a few questions.

What is an All Mountain Jacket.

What is a Freeskier jacket

Marketing.

Quote:

ALSO and importantly, will I be cold in a Gore 3L pro jacket as they seem to be really thin? Will my normal thermal and fleece be enough to keep me warm in one? My United Riders jacket has a tough cotton weave external and a lined internal and I'm never cold in that....

Depends how cold it is... Most of last season I wore either (just) a 200-weight merino layer or the Sweet Protection Saviour layers and was fine. If you do get cold just add an extra fleece, if you get too hot take some layers off - the flexibility is pretty much the point of a shell jacket.

For ideas check out the 'bombproof ski jacket' thread just below this one.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The Danno, what sort of build are you?

Are you just wanting a high end jacket, or are you after a label too?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
The Danno wrote:
I know we all love decent kit. I want to treat myself to something that will last..

Spyder?

Ta

Are you a tubby middle aged guy?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks Clarky. I suppose the idea of lugging a fleece around just in case doesn't appeal. What jacket were you wearing over the Merino (and what was the merino)? When you say marketing I really don't know the difference between All mountain and free skiing in any case. What's it all about?

Mosha: I want a good looking GoreTex jacket that will last me for years and wont go out of fashion. A good label is a bonus, I wont lie. Although, no one knows the United Riders brand I currently wear, but I know its a great jacket and that makes me happy and smug haha Very Happy

Spyder is mid life crisis I take it then???....that's now off the list! And yes I'm a stone overweight Wink

I'm 5'11 and about 13 stone, so not insubstantial. I carry the weight well
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
The Danno, Norrona Lofoten, over the standard Helly Hansen merino thermal - fine by itself upto around -10ºC as long as I stay reasonably active. Unless it's below -15/-20ºC you don't really need that much to keep warm whilst skiing. The Sweet Protection Saviour series (going cheap on Sportspursuit right now) is enough (worn by itself) for everything other than fairly extreme storms.

Do you never get warm skiing in a normal insulated jacket? I could never wear more than just a tshirt under one without sweating.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Thu 1-08-13 10:25; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
The Danno wrote:

The North Face Free Thinker

Anyway thanks in advance boys and girls, help me spend some money!!!

Ta

The North Face free thinker - ( I think it was actually called The North Face Freethinker II) was surprisingly cold because of the chest patches of softs shell material ( i cant remember the Gore product used) . I ended up having to layer up more than I thought. I have now gone Norrona Lofoten which is fantastic. The other jacket I have used and loved is the Patagonia Powder Bowl, which has a hanging liner with lots of internal pockets and storage so is a bit warmer than a classic pure shell. There is sadly no option but to go and try them on for size and features - and then buy them online!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

When you say marketing I really don't know the difference between All mountain and free skiing in any case. What's it all about?

Free skiing is what happens when a marketing department doesn't know the difference between freestyle (park tricks) and freeride (pretentious definition: an approach to offpiste skiing where you use/play with the terrain features, rather than just 'going down'). All mountain means... skiing all the mountain. Both utterly meaningless and irrelevant when it comes to jackets!!

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Thu 1-08-13 11:15; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Sport Pursuit http://www.sportpursuit.com/sales/mens-snow-jackets have a number of ski jackets in their sales at the moment.

I can certainly vouch for them and their customer service (I had a ski jacket - Trespass one, which failed around the seam pocket a few months after buying it, I had a replacement jacket less than 1 week after reporting it!)

Just say if you like me to be your referrer Happy
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Dont get the North Face Enzo. The fabric is very thin and light but about as strong as a tea bag. Mine had a hole in it within 10 days.
My Arc'teryx Rush is a bit heavier but seems much more sturdy and no problems so far.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
The Danno, Spyder isn't that bad. They've got some stuff now that isn't mind numbingly ugly.

If you're looking for insulated jackets I've been skiing in this most of the time this year and really liked it:
http://www.norrona.com/Products/5040-11/lofoten-gore-tex-primaloft-jacket-m
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
The Danno, I'm about the same size as you then.

I'm not sure that the Norrona stuff would fit you so well, so make sure you try it on first.

From your short list I'd look at Arc'etrix, being from the USA it should fit you alright and be in your budget. Personally I'd stick with Goretex'd boarding kit for the best value, I've used Burton [AK] stuff before and it isn't hugely baggy.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I never really get high. high end skiwear as a concept unless you're a Bogner Bunny - I treat most outdoor wear as semi disposable and likely to get cut up, dragged across rocks, snagged by branches, oil dripped on it from the chair cable, nosebleed drips. Serviceable breathable shell with pit zips in a cut and colour you like, add brand if it really matters. Buy it in the sales. Buy another one 50-100 ski days later depending on wear n tear or sell before its too knacked/ nuclear lime is too last season and repeat.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Nearly all skigear nowadays doesnt last that long. The new expensive lightweight gear tears to easily.

Why by specific ski gear? There are plenty of suitable warm durable jackets from clothes manufacturers

I found once you buy Carhaart gear you never need to buy anthing more. This stuff is tough, great value & is guaranteed for life.

http://www.carhartt.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/HomeView?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10101
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Anything reduced to under £50 with a lift pass pocket in the arm and colours you can live with.

but maybe that's not quite as 'high end' as you mean.
ski holidays
Lots of love for the Norrona on here. I'm going to have to check em out...

Noted all comments people. Thank you for your advice. I'll steer clear of the Enzo.

Thanks also for clearing up the marketing waffle too Very Happy
latest report
stanton, the carhart stuff is cowboy clothing..i see skiing as a sport and want to wearsport clothes that have movement and flexibility which i dnot think carhart does....maybe i am wrong but.......
snow conditions
Haglofs would be worth a look too
snow report
MogulMonkey,

They make plenty of gear for the mountains that is not on the website. Just visit a few Sports outlets in the US !

"i see skiing as a sport and want to wearsport clothes that have movement and flexibility which i dnot think carhart does....maybe i am wrong but......"

Yers your wrong !
snow conditions
stanton, Ok, i stand corrected..

will be in US november so will take a look. i do recall last season in steamboat a lot of the locals wearing brown leather gloves when they were on the slopes so maybe these are from carhaart.
latest report
MogulMonkey wrote:
brown leather gloves when they were on the slopes so maybe these are from carhaart.

You can buy excellent quality brown leather (warm all weather) gloves from any US gas station for under $20. Just remember when they call it a "Ski" Glove or "Ski" Jacket they mark up the prices 500% because of the word "Ski".
ski holidays
Like "russ-ski" in Courchevel, 500% mark up there.
ski holidays
Arc'teryx and Norrona are high end gear. I would not consider them disposable or even semi-disposable. My Arc'teryx Stinger shell has seen about 200 ski days and does not look like it would struggle to double it.

You get what you pay for... In resort wear, that means a higher end label; in technical gear, it means quality (fabric, design, performance).
snow report
ulmerhutte wrote:
Arc'teryx and Norrona are high end gear. I would not consider them disposable or even semi-disposable....

Agreed. Arc' stand behind their products with a lifetime warranty.
snow conditions
spyderjon wrote:
ulmerhutte wrote:
Arc'teryx and Norrona are high end gear. I would not consider them disposable or even semi-disposable....

Not that I doubt them, but I assume that's product lifetime rather than owner's lifetime. Do they say how long they expect it to 'live?'
snow report
clarky999, http://www.arcteryx.com/warranty.aspx?EN

Basically they'll fix things until the item is beyond reasonable repair. If its a defect the fix is free otherwise you might end up paying a bit. I've heard good things from people who've done that though.
latest report
check out the patagonia deals at www.outside.co.uk maybe?
snow report
meh, does sound good.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
clarky999 wrote:
spyderjon wrote:
ulmerhutte wrote:

Not that I doubt them, but I assume that's product lifetime rather than owner's lifetime. Do they say how long they expect it to 'live?'

Arcteryx factory said they'd have no problem fixing a few things with my 12+ year old Sidewinder SV (and I've skied a lot of days in those 12 years!).
Several other jackets have followed that one, but it is still my primary jacket and probably will be this season too.
snow report
I have an Arc'retyx Sabre jacket, which has seen about 75 days of action and is as good as new. It's the best jacket I've ever had. I'm about the same height and weight as the OP and wear a Medium size - most other clothes I'd be a L or XL, but Arc'teryx are on the large size. It also seems to flex in exactly the right places so you get a flattering snug fit that never feels tight. I've had lots of compliments too in the four years that I've had it.

As it is a shell you need to adopt a layering approach underneath, but it means it is perfect for cold January days and warm, sunny spring conditions.
ski holidays
I would look at the Norrona Rodal Jacket if you want something insulated. The Sweet Protection Crusader or Supernaut Jackets are also worth trying, but they are not insulated so you will need to layer under them. They suggest a primaloft layer such as the Lofoten or Nutshell, but you can probably get away with something cheaper. Something you probably will not have seen though and will knock your socks off is the Retallack Jacket by Orage, definitely the best jacket for next season I think.

In terms of what is a freeride vs freestyle vs all mountain jacket - It means nothing, just marketing. The park stuff tends to be baggier and the freeride stuff tends to be better quality and more technical, hence more expensive. Choose whatever you like.

Cheers

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Tue 20-08-13 13:38; edited 4 times in total
latest report
Hey Mr Snow Momo Man - if you are going to come on here and pump your stuff how about a discount and how about taking a subscription?
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy